1988 Evinrude 140 Surging 4500 - 5500 RPM.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The thingy with the red lever is the electric primer.---Squirts fuel into the motor when key is pushed in while cranking it over.-----QUICK START is done electronically and advances the timing during warm up.----Not sure if your motor even has quick start.----I am thinking it is time for yet another motor for you.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
The thingy with the red lever is the electric primer.---Squirts fuel into the motor when key is pushed in while cranking it over.-----QUICK START is done electronically and advances the timing during warm up.----Not sure if your motor even has quick start.----I am thinking it is time for yet another motor for you.

I wish I had the $$$ for a new engine, but its out of the qeustion ag this point :( I do have the automatic chole, I have seen it on the motor rigt below the carbs. On the sode wih the fuel pump. I curious to why ou suggest this? Could this be a greater issue? Suggestions please?! Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The thingy with the red lever is NOT an automatic choke !---You the operator has to know what it does and how to use the electric primer.

Fed

Commander
Because you have been working on the fuel system AFTER the filter you could easily have sent some crap up to the carbs.
Crap caught in the needle & seat doesn't necessarily block the fuel, instead it stops the needle from closing properly.

Also make sure the red lever on the primer is parallel to and along the body of the primer solenoid.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Because you have been working on the fuel system AFTER the filter you could easily have sent some crap up to the carbs.
Crap caught in the needle & seat doesn't necessarily block the fuel, instead it stops the needle from closing properly.

Also make sure the red lever on the primer is parallel to and along the body of the primer solenoid.

I will check that tonight, great point about the carbs. Il pick up some more carb cleaner and go at em again a good clean will do. Any other tips? Btw thanks for your help, I wouldnt have thought the seat/needle would be a problem .

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer

I checked this, and the lever is pointing down. I understand that this feature is NOT and automatic choke, I just called it the same thing accidentity. I think it would be a good idea to tear apart the carbs again, which I will do this friday. The floats should be at a level height with the top surface of the bowl right? This is what it said in the manual, and I adjusted and replaced them accordingly. What is the worst that this issue could be? Bad crank seals? I would see/Smell it than right?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
https://youtu.be/H-40WTevdig

That is a link to the preformence of the motor yesterday afternoon. It was slopy. Im hoping tearing apart the carbs tomm will do the trick. I remeber the last time I ran it, i took off the fuel water sep to see of that was restricting fuel. And the tank was almost empty, so I may have sucked some junk inti the carbs. Wel will see tommorrow

Fed

Commander
If the primer bulb won't get hard it has to be leaking fuel somewhere.

External leaks from hoses or fittings, give it a good visual while priming bulb.
Fuel pump diaphragm, check for fuel in pulse line or squeeze off while priming bulb.
Carbies, check for needles & seats not shutting, you could check by squeezing off fuel lines with vice grips and/or helpers.
Primer solenoid valve, remove an outlet hose or squeeze off the inlet hose & check for leaks while priming bulb.

With 3 pairs of vice grips or a helper with 3 pairs of pliers you could check all of the above in 10 minutes.

Start with the hose between the pump & the fuel manifold, squeeze it off and see if the bulb gets hard.
Then do the same with the hose between the manifold & the primer solenoid.
Then on to the carbs, eliminate them by squeezing off their individual lines.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
If the primer bulb won't get hard it has to be leaking fuel somewhere.

External leaks from hoses or fittings, give it a good visual while priming bulb.
Fuel pump diaphragm, check for fuel in pulse line or squeeze off while priming bulb.
Carbies, check for needles & seats not shutting, you could check by squeezing off fuel lines with vice grips and/or helpers.
Primer solenoid valve, remove an outlet hose or squeeze off the inlet hose & check for leaks while priming bulb.

With 3 pairs of vice grips or a helper with 3 pairs of pliers you could check all of the above in 10 minutes.

Start with the hose between the pump & the fuel manifold, squeeze it off and see if the bulb gets hard.
Then do the same with the hose between the manifold & the primer solenoid.
Then on to the carbs, eliminate them by squeezing off their individual lines.

Thanks for the advice! I will try this because that sure beats taming apart the carbies!

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
well, well well. I found the problem. Might have been the STUPIDEST thing I have ever done. I switched the fuel in with the pulse line on the VRO so it was pumping gas into the crank bypassing the carbs. I switched this up, hit the lake and it ran good. But when I got passed the idle free zone, I hit a weak point. It was still slugish. I know what a OMC motor sounds like getting on plane, and this didnt sound like it was running right. Now the primer ball was rock hard, no fuel leaks. It took 1 minuate to get on plane at WOT and the motor wasnt screaming like it should have been. I was getting 26MPH and about 4500RPM, no more than that. I fianlly didnt get any surging though, steady RPM. Im guessing it may be the plug wire I put it. When I was on the lake about 3 weeks ago, the cowl broke a plug wire, I replaced it with a 88 9.9 wire to test it, it is shorter and the boots arnt straight on their. Im going to get a new set of plug wires in hope that it will solve this. ANy other tips, could I have a bad coil pack or weak? THANK YOU!

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Put the boat in the slip yesterday, I took it out with my dad and I got the same results. Primer bulb stayed hard, but wouldnt plane out, only if one of us went to the front of the boat. And only got 4500RPM. No surging. I need to get some new plug wires to see if that will do the trick.

Fed

Commander
I think nice new genuine plug leads is a good idea seeing as how you have already had a plug lead problem.
Let us know how you go.