Marine Plywood

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Marine Plywood

Depends somewhat on what you want to do with it. Exterior grade plywood contains the same glue as marine plywood...which by the way, is not treated. Neither is waterproof. The difference between exterior grade and marine plywood is that the marine grade has no voids.<br /><br />I would not use either in an application that was going to see much moisture without a liberal coat of resin all around.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have used cdx plywood in the past and i will give it several coats of a wood perservative. Worked for me

PW2

Commander

Relentless is correct. Marine grade has no voids thruout the panel, and it is also manufactured out of all group 1 western Douglas Fir veneers.<br /><br />It is, of course, still wood, and is permeable to moisture, so if you are looking for fiberglass to stick to it long term, you have to completely seal it from moisture on both sides and edges of the panel.<br /><br />Marine Grade is much stronger than any other plywood you can get of the same thickness--but it depends on the use and whether that strength is needed. A good ACX panel will work in many applications, and it is a heck of a lot cheaper.<br /><br />CDX is a poor alternative, as it is only for limited exposure to any sort of moisture, and will come apart if prolonged exposure to moisture is involved.

mulv80

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Starboard material, a polyethylene material that can be worked with hand or power tools. I read about this stuff on the forum, if you search for it I'm sure there is more info on it. All I know is that it is expensive and some guys dont like it because it doesnt have the same strength as marine plywood. But depending on your application this may be a good alternative. I believe you can also purchase this at West Marine, Boaters World etc.

BillP

Captain

Marine ply is stiffer than exterior ply. It has nothing to do with wood grades or voids. Anybody know why?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by BillP:<br /> Marine ply is stiffer than exterior ply. It has nothing to do with wood grades or voids. Anybody know why?
I'm waiting with bated breath! I'll be having to choose plywood for my floor renovation soon.

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't really know if it is or isn't...but I would say that if it is, the reason would be more plys. Don't feel like going into the basement to count them.

PW2

Commander

Normal ACX can have any number of plies, depending on the mill and the mix of veneers.<br /><br />Marine grade tends to have more plies, as it is rare and expensive to get inner plies that are thick and also without voids, and no self respecting plywood mill or veneer mill would peel a thick peel from logs that would yield marine grade quality veneer.<br /><br />Most standard ACX plywood is made with outer layers only of group 1 wood, and only western production is made of Douglas Fir. Most of the inner plies are usually of a group 2,3 or 4 wood, as it is cheaper to use, and the face or back of the panel is what determines what group number stamp can be used.<br /><br />A plywood mill can build a panel that is stiffer than marine grade, and there are times, for specific reasons, where that is done (as in for the furniture frame industry)<br /><br />And it has everything to do with the wood, the grade, the species, and the specific construction of the panel.

crab bait

Captain

an that would be wrong..<br /> <br />it's because marine ply ,,the plies are orriantated on a 45 degree angle instead of paralell going lengthwise of the sheet..

18rabbit

Captain

Boomyal – I used ACX for the floor. Soooooo much cheaper. It is panels that will be screwed to an aluminum frame. When finished, each panel will be fully enclosed in epoxy. We will finishing the top with Durabak, the rest unpainted.

i AM uSING THIS TO REPLACE MY OLD ROTTED WOOD FLOOR IN MY BOAT. THE WOOD IS NOT COMPLETELY ROTTED ALL OVER, JUST IN A FEW SPOTS. i WANTED TO SEE IF THERE WAS A PLASTIC TYPE MATERIAL THAT I COULD JUST PLACE OVER THE TOP OR COULD i USE GREEN TREATED PLY WOOD TO SAVE SOME CASH. i ONLY NEED THIS BOAT TO LAST ME FOR THE SEASON AND THEN i WAS GOING TO GET RID OF IT.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Just buy regular plywood (preferably fir) and it should last this season ...and many others too. <br /><br />I put some in 4 seasons ago and its still rot free.

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

If it only needs to last a little bit, get the cheapest stuff you can find. BCX would be just fine.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're looking for the cheapest way to do the job, it won't be with plastic. The cheapest plastic you can get in sheet form thicker than about .060" will be polystyrene and this will be on par cost wise with marine ply. PS has excellent UV resistance but is fairly brittle. For future reference, if you do need plastic sheet, you will be able to get it locally through a plastic supply house (look in the yellow pages under plastic) much cheaper than West Marine or some place like that. To get a good idea of what types of plastics are available go to www.mcmaster.com. Their prices aren't too bad. You can get polycarbonate (GE Lexan is a brand) at Home Depot. Polycarb is an excellent structural plastic, machines well, and is bondable.

ASI Imperial

Seaman

If its wood replace it!! use your best judgement on cost and how you will be selling the boat. if it dont matter get the cheapest wood you can find and put the carpet in and ship it off!!!

PW2

Commander

If it is just for a floor, use either ACX, or BCX. ACX is available anywhere, and the relative price difference between BCX and ACX is negligible. Keep it dry most of the time, and it will last a long time.<br /><br />And CB, surely you are kidding us about the 45 deg orientation, aren't you???

BillP

Captain

Crabbait has the answer...45 degree plys make it stiff. Grain direction makes it stiff, not wood grade or lack of voids. Exterior ply is laminated at 90 degrees. Marine and exterior share identical glue and the last sheets of 1/4" marine ply I bought had the same number of plys that 1/4" AB exterior has. Thicker marine is different. If you want to bend ply use AB exterior. If you need it stiff use marine. <br /><br />I've cut up at least 40-50 sheets of AB exterior and the voids are so few and small it isn't much of a problem to me.

PW2

Commander

I don't know where you heard about that 45 degree stuff, but someone is pullin' your leg, I am afraid.<br /><br />Marine grade is made just like any other plywood, with the plies running at 90 degrees from each other. Take it from someone who has supervised the making of many many carloads of the stuff over the years.