what does everyone do for a living?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's awesome, Bruce!
After going through what I just did with my dad, I am realizing more and more how short life is. Going to start with going to a 32 hour work week and phase out from there. Sounds like my company is fine with that.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
To answer what I think is the Op's question, I'm a Civil/Environmental engineer in the waste industry. In my early 50's, but by the way the Admiral and the kids burn through $, I can't imagine ever being able to retire. That's alright, I enjoy my work and the people I work for and with.

But that is certainly not all I "do for a living". I am busy with some project or activity early til late every day. Within the last 5 years, I've had a few events from which I learned to make the most of every day - this ain't no trial run, this is it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
After going through what I just did with my dad, I am realizing more and more how short life is. Going to start with going to a 32 hour work week and phase out from there. Sounds like my company is fine with that.

Bruce I think you are seeing that there is much more to a successful retirement than just finances. Health has a major bearing too. At 62 and diminishing health this is not what I'd hoped for. With 5 employer changes, 2 of those closed, and the health issues with more hospital stays than I can recall in the past 10 years almost all savings have been used.

I envy those who are able to maintain their health and wealth and pray for those in my boat. So congrats my friend and know you are blessed. Enjoy life as much as possible.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I envy those who are able to maintain their health and wealth and pray for those in my boat. So congrats my friend and know you are blessed. Enjoy life as much as possible.
Yep...hopefully I stay healthy. I always try to stay in shape. Doing a 100 mile organized road bike ride this weekend.

My father suffered from dementia his last 8 years. Had a lot of money and couldn't enjoy it. Before he turned 80, he was still playing tennis. All ended when dementia started taking over.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I read your posts to my wife. She's jealous of your GF....Lol If my financial planner said I could retire, I would be outta there. But, my planner who cooks supper every nite won't let me.......:) Bonz is right, money means nothing if you don't have your health..... I just got back from visiting my dad in the hospital. He has RA and was hurting so bad he couldn't get out of his chair. So in he went..... None of us know when the hammer will fall. Enjoy life while you can........

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I read your posts to my wife. She's jealous of your GF....Lol
Join the club.

Her boss pissed her off yesterday. She got six boxes delivered to her office and is going to start cleaning out her office today. When I finally retire, the boxes will be to go throw all my stuff out!

When I retire, I am going to have to marry her to pick up her health insurance. :)

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Join the club.

Her boss pissed her off yesterday. She got six boxes delivered to her office and is going to start cleaning out her office today.

When I retire, I am going to have to marry her to pick up her health insurance. :)

If you haven't already, start shopping for that ring! My wife carries the insurance...... Your GF sounds a lot like me. When I left a job, my brother would ask dad, "Now who pissed him off?". Lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you haven't already, start shopping for that ring! My wife carries the insurance...... Your GF sounds a lot like me. When I left a job, my brother would ask dad, "Now who pissed him off?". Lol
No ring needed. We might even be married and living in separate houses for awhile! A marriage of convenience.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Yep...hopefully I stay healthy. I always try to stay in shape. Doing a 100 mile organized road bike ride this weekend.

These days they'd be calling the EMT's by the time I got 5 miles. as long as it was downhill!!!:laugh:

15 years ago I was working 2 jobs, one was for fun and pleasure, about 80 hrs. a week during the summer months. The fun job was working at a golf course doing course maintenance, cutting grass, raking traps, cutting tees and greens, irrigation, pond work. It was fun, outside, meeting people, and getting to play all the golf I could. So yes I was pretty active back then. It all came about pretty quickly.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am 57 and retiring when I hit 60 or sooner. My GF is 53 and retiring in June so I think I will be so envious of her I may just do it as well.

My dad taught me well to max out my 401K every year since I started working at 23 years old as well as doing other real estate investments.

My financial planner says I can retire now!

I am a digital design EE and it's been a great career but time to hang it up.

I'm a year older. Too young to "retire". Retire, then go back as a consultant like most I know have done.

Heck, three out of the four of my Sales Reps are retired systems engineers. Write of their travel as business expenses. Make pretty decent money considering the effort put into it.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 40 mile ride coming up in a couple weeks.
my girlfriend and I are the opposite, I bought her the hardware (ring) as long as she never makes me walk down an aisle.

I have a friend who I used to chide all the time about his saving for retirement. he refused to spend a dollar for fun. save it all for when he was old. I agree you need to save but you have to live too.

one day he came to work a little red in the eyes. his father had retired 6 months previous almost to the day. the reason for the red eyes was his father had passed away. seems he had lived the same way, always save for retirement. never got to enjoy it.

a few months later my friend asked me to teach him how to ride a motorcycle. now days he is a few years from retirement himself with plenty of money and lots of life experiences to go with it. he has been riding cycles for nearly 7 years now and enjoying life while looking forward to retirement.

saving is always good but there is no guarantee we get to make it to retirement. and certainly none that we get to enjoy it for long

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'm a year older. Too young to "retire". Retire, then go back as a consultant like most I know have done.

Heck, three out of the four of my Sales Reps are retired systems engineers. Write of their travel as business expenses. Make pretty decent money considering the effort put into it.
I have consulted before 8 years ago. Was making over $100/hour doing it. I gave it up because I was using all my free time working. I will have plenty of money...don't need to do that. I have no kids so don't have to pay for college.

bassman284

Commander
Good for her! I probably should think about doing some "work" pretty soon. Although, I need to finish summarizing my snowmobile....Lol

That's awesome, Bruce!

I've been doing something like that, including plowing snow, for 16 years now. Starting to get tired of it.... Would like a career change, just don't know what it would be....
Well, you could switch to cutting grass, although in northern Wisky that would only be about 3 months a year.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Well, you could switch to cutting grass, although in northern Wisky that would only be about 3 months a year.

Oh,, I do that too. Just renewed another 3 year contract with the local school... Plus a bunch of other accounts.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
The last 5 years, been fixing broken cars for a Chevy dealership, before that I surveyed land for 17 years. Just recently, supervising the quick service dept. at the Chevy dealership occasionally helping gm techs when needed. Someday when they get my powerball numbers right, I will be running the Museum of powerboating history, or something like that:rolleyes:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have consulted before 8 years ago. Was making over $100/hour doing it. I gave it up because I was using all my free time working. I will have plenty of money...don't need to do that. I have no kids so don't have to pay for college.

It's not the money. It?s the sanity. You can only organize the stones in the drive way so many times before you go nut.

I don't know anyone who retired ?early? that didn't go back to some resemblance of employment after a couple years. If I can clear $2-3K a week plus expenses consulting by day, hanging out on a beach in SE Asia or a Coffee house in Amsterdam at night, I?m game as long as I can physically do it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Okay, I'll finally fess up.

I'm a retired rocket scientist. :D

Actually a space systems engineer. Worked for NASA, DoD and commercial satellite companies as my primary career for 20+ years. Did other stuff over the years too but I liked the engineering best. Had one job for JPL that I would have done for free if I could have.

I'm 63 now and have been medically retired for almost 9 years now. And I wouldn't go back to work unless they paid me millions and millions! Even then I might not. I really enjoy my retired life. I have or had plenty of hobbies and interests to keep my time occupied without ever being bored. In fact there is often not enough time to do all the things that I'd like to get done.

Every person that I'd worked with previously who had retired and then returned to work had no hobbies or outside interests. So they got bored just sitting at home and ended up going back to work with some slave driver standing over their shoulders. Yeah, that's a great way to spend time! :facepalm: :pound: Not for me though! Uh uh! :nono: