what does everyone do for a living?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I own 2 small businesses. Not getting rich by any means. Can't stand the thought of retiring. I hope someday I will get used to the idea or just die on the job. I sure don't want to end up in some nursing home

I don't want to end up in a nursing home either, but I sure want to end up in my 5th wheel traveling the country enjoying retirement.... I'd rather die in the trailer than working for "the man", God willing....:)

Last edited:

DayCruiser

Ensign
All boils down to money and being in good health. People are out living their money and their ability to stay healthy--both mentally and/or physically. I have talked to so many elderly who say--I don't want to live like this! Most are past 80. Past 90 most get really tired

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's why we're doing a bunch of traveling now. We don't want to wait until we retire and find out we're too unhealthy to travel. Bonus if we can. I can understand some people thinking if people are in their 80s and in poor health. My aunt is 88 and in great health and doing things a youngster would do. Which is great. I understand she may be the exception and not the rule.

I would like to retire in my early 60s max. I'm in my mid 50s now.....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Been working in the composites industry for for about 48 years, hoping to retire soon. Was out looking at a 5th wheel today. I want to travel before the money and health runs out.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Fly big airplanes in U.S. and Europe, occasionally to Asia and over the oceans in between. Typical pilot-- too lazy to work, but too nervous to steal.

Lots of parallels between aviation and boating. Planning, preparation, weather, safety, contingencies. Most times the activity is a pleasant breeze, but deficiencies in the aforementioned categories can make it less so. Occasionally, stuff just happens. Hopefully the layers of planning, preparation, and contingencies make for a happy outcome.

bassman284

Commander
I was a Quality Engineer for an OEM Automotive Manufacturer. Fairly stressful but always interesting job. Never bored, annoyed, but never bored. I retired in 2010 and other than fishing I don't do a whole lot and that's kind of the way I like it.

I see several folks here have expressed their wish to not be in a nursing home. Nobody wants that and the fact is, very few folks end up in nursing homes. It's something like 5% of people over 65. And the life expectancy is about 6 months after entrance in the nursing home. So chances are, even if you end up there, it won't be for a real long time.

I worry about this a bit because I'm a single guy with no kids to look after me. I have a long term care insurance policy so that my brothers and sisters and nephews and nieces won't have to end up looking after me. I sometimes wonder whether that's worthwhile since it has a 90 day wait before it pays and the odds are that even if I DO wind up in a nursing home, I probably won't live long enough for he policy to kick in. Life's a *****.

pontiacfieroguy

Seaman Apprentice
20 years as a combination shipfitter/welder at a private shipyard in Portsmouth, Va. Then 19 years as a ship repair estimator at the same location.

Any advice you want to give a young welder just getting out of trade school?

DayCruiser

Ensign
That's why we're doing a bunch of traveling now. We don't want to wait until we retire and find out we're too unhealthy to travel. Bonus if we can. I can understand some people thinking if people are in their 80s and in poor health. My aunt is 88 and in great health and doing things a youngster would do. Which is great. I understand she may be the exception and not the rule.

I would like to retire in my early 60s max. I'm in my mid 50s now.....

Yea retiring early would be smart. My daddy waited until his 70s to be semi retired. Within 2 years, he was dead. He was so looking forward to retirement. Part of his demise was due to a stressful business he owned. Then there was 20 years of smoking before he quit that habit. Stress will knock many years off our lives. He told me one time that everybody ages differently. Ya life is not fair at all.
I always wanted to do welding for a living. Responding to another post. Just don't have the attention span to make those perfect welds LOL

82rude

Rear Admiral
I don't want to end up in a nursing home either, but I sure want to end up in my 5th wheel traveling the country enjoying retirement.... I'd rather die in the trailer than working for "the man", God willing....:)

My best hope will be that they find my cold body on the river in the boat not in bed in some stinking home!For me it was the luck of the draw to get osteoarthritis at a young age in the knees,and I basically came to the point were I hated going to work even though I had 2 knee replacements at 45.So retired at 54 with a full pension and a get out of here bonus !No regrets almost 4 years later.Doubt very much that I will end up like my uncle who just redid his drivers license at 99.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yea retiring early would be smart. My daddy waited until his 70s to be semi retired. Within 2 years, he was dead. He was so looking forward to retirement. Part of his demise was due to a stressful business he owned. Then there was 20 years of smoking before he quit that habit. Stress will knock many years off our lives. He told me one time that everybody ages differently. Ya life is not fair at all.
I always wanted to do welding for a living. Responding to another post. Just don't have the attention span to make those perfect welds LOL

My dad is 78 and retired in his early 60s. He worked in the iron mines in N Mn. A lot of the guys that retired were dead within a couple years. He looks at least 10 years younger than he is, but arthritis is taking over his hands and he can't do much. I'm going to build a deck and asked him to help, I think he's going to have to be straw boss and order me around...:)

Stress? I own my own business too. Also, only employee.... :) Some people think I have it made, not so much... Main stress came when I worked in middle management in a data processing center for a couple different co's. That's another story for another time, maybe.

Welding? My brother is laid off from the mines and needs to go back to school to continue his bennies. He's thinking welding. I told him he'll have no problem finding a job. Welders are everywhere. But, do you really want to smell those fumes day in and day out. Can't be healthy.

There, got back on track and answered the welding ?....... :)

My best hope will be that they find my cold body on the river in the boat not in bed in some stinking home!For me it was the luck of the draw to get osteoarthritis at a young age in the knees,and I basically came to the point were I hated going to work even though I had 2 knee replacements at 45.So retired at 54 with a full pension and a get out of here bonus !No regrets almost 4 years later.Doubt very much that I will end up like my uncle who just redid his drivers license at 99.

Hey, you never know, maybe you'll hit the century mark! Yep, life is short, make the best of it while we can...... Glad you're enjoying retirement..... Maybe they'll find me slumped over in my deer stand. I dreamt I was hunting last night. Not sure why...

DayCruiser

Ensign
They must keep those poor slobs drugged up in the Nursing homes. Some do seem to adjust well while others have a very hard time with it. You see them wondering the halls or sleeping in the halls. What else you going to do? Sit in your tiny room watching TV all day? Of course if you can afford to stay in the higher end homes, they have activities you can participate in. Many are not in their right minds to do much of anything except to exist. People work hard all their lives, even if they didn't get rich doing it , and this is their reward? Animals get more human treatment in their old age imo

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Obviously, there is a financial component to all this, but, if finances is not and issue, then it's just a matter of deciding you're going to go for it. I know a lot people I use to work with that wish they did the same thing....

yeah, that is the crossroads. finally got to a point where I don't have to pick my job by the $$$

the money is nice, but at the end of the day, I would rather wake up and be excited to go to work.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Musky - yeah my better half is self employed and the only employee as well. she feels exactly like you. yes she is privileged to have some freedom but everyday she has to be cognizant of what is going on with the business and what impact her actions may have

she is happier than most who "work for the man" though LOL

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
General Manager GM dealership. Sold shares and kinda retired. Working for a home building material store. Really enjoy the staff and customers. Keeps my head straight(er?)

82rude

Rear Admiral
They must keep those poor slobs drugged up in the Nursing homes. Some do seem to adjust well while others have a very hard time with it. You see them wondering the halls or sleeping in the halls. What else you going to do? Sit in your tiny room watching TV all day? Of course if you can afford to stay in the higher end homes, they have activities you can participate in. Many are not in their right minds to do much of anything except to exist. People work hard all their lives, even if they didn't get rich doing it , and this is their reward? Animals get more human treatment in their old age imo

Seems to be a north amercian thing.Some cultures the old folks are revered and looked after ,here, ship them off and forget about them.Im sure there are exceptions .I picked up my granpa from one of those homes years ago for Christmas and though he was happy and spry there we several just laying on gurneys in the hallways with nobody to even say hello or merry Christmas to them .It was pathetic and sad.

FlaCowboy

Ensign
As little as possible...:lol:

I am like sphelps...I have been in construction my whole life. I worked for myself...then worked for big companies that promise big bonuses and when that didn`t work out... I went back to working for myself.
I currently remodel foreclosed properties. There is decent money to be made and I get to make my own schedules with no one messing with me...:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am 57 and retiring when I hit 60 or sooner. My GF is 53 and retiring in June so I think I will be so envious of her I may just do it as well.

My dad taught me well to max out my 401K every year since I started working at 23 years old as well as doing other real estate investments.

My financial planner says I can retire now!

I am a digital design EE and it's been a great career but time to hang it up.

Last edited:

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just sold my Landscape Maintenance business of 11 years! Now I'm back to construction on the builders side. Service Technician in training for Warranty manager now. Easy easy easy.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Musky - yeah my better half is self employed and the only employee as well. she feels exactly like you. yes she is privileged to have some freedom but everyday she has to be cognizant of what is going on with the business and what impact her actions may have

she is happier than most who "work for the man" though LOL

Good for her! I probably should think about doing some "work" pretty soon. Although, I need to finish summarizing my snowmobile....Lol

I am 57 and retiring when I hit 60 or sooner. My GF is 53 and retiring in June so I think I will be so envious of her I may just do it as well.

My dad taught me well to max out my 401K every year since I started working at 23 years old as well as doing other real estate investments.

My financial planner says I can retire now!

I am a digital design EE and it's been a great career but time to hang it up.

That's awesome, Bruce!

Just sold my Landscape Maintenance business of 11 years! Now I'm back to construction on the builders side. Service Technician in training for Warranty manager now. Easy easy easy.

I've been doing something like that, including plowing snow, for 16 years now. Starting to get tired of it.... Would like a career change, just don't know what it would be....