1970's Aluminum Mckenzie Cherokee Runabout Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970's 16 ft Aluminum Mackenzie Runabout Rebuild

I'd replace them, it'll never be easier then it is now. Although you don't intend to stand on the bow cover, it may happen, and you'll want it well supported when it does.

Howdy JB. Nice to hear from you. :)

The existing planks appear to be hardwood but not really sure. What kind of wood should be used? I'd like to avoid plywood if possible. Oak?

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

The existing planks appear to be hardwood but not really sure. What kind of wood should be used? I'd like to avoid plywood if possible. Oak?
I'd use mahogany. It's a traditional boat building material. Light, strong, doesn't rot easily. - Grandad

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd use mahogany. It's a traditional boat building material. Light, strong, doesn't rot easily. - Grandad

Hey GD. Thanks for chiming in.

Any ideas where I can find mahogany? I don't need much maybe 3 strips 4" X 5' long.

update ... Royal Woodworking in Aurora has mahogany. $45 for 3 - 4 5/8" W X 5' L Kinda pricey. :(

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here's a viable alternative. Mahogany veneer! You can get it on evil bay for under $10 bucks, put it on a piece of plywood with contact cement, cut to shape and then encapsulate in epoxy and Marine Varnish. It'll look awesome and last for decades!!! Your dash would cost under $30 bucks and look like REAL mahogany!!!;)
mqOKik_fChcBMUqEPAQ6u-Q.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a viable alternative. Mahogany veneer! You can get it on evil bay for under $10 bucks, put it on a piece of plywood with contact cement, cut to shape and then encapsulate in epoxy and Marine Varnish. It'll look awesome and last for decades!!! Your dash would cost under $30 bucks and look like REAL mahogany!!!;)
mqOKik_fChcBMUqEPAQ6u-Q.jpg
Hi WOG. Good idea for the dash, but I understood that Jeff was referring to the under deck support beams. - Grandad

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well what do I know, I'm a Glasser!!!! You Tinner's always confuse me!!! I'll go back to smelling Resin Fumes and leave you guys alone!!!!!:facepalm:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well what do I know, I'm a Glasser!!!! You Tinner's always confuse me!!! I'll go back to smelling Resin Fumes and leave you guys alone!!!!!:facepalm:

No worries WOG. Nice to see you drop by. :) Stay tuned dash work coming ...

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jeff. I have seen mahogany in various lumber yards, but I haven't looked for it for years now. A quick internet search brought up this place in Stouffville, but I'm sure there are others. Foreign Hardwoods - Century Mill Note that they specifically mention marine use for mahogany. Their pricing is per board foot. The picture below, looking forward from beneath the dash, is the best I have for my Starcraft Holiday's deck construction. I think it is typical of all Starcraft closed bow boats. In the picture, the blue is 2" thick foam. All of the wood that you see is mahogany. My boat has about a 6' long deck, but you're not seeing the forward most 30" bow "triangle". Original construction has a mahogany cross brace, then a series of 3/4" x 2.5" x 40" long struts on edge between the cross brace and the back of the dashboard. The triangle forward of the vertical wall in this picture has a wide piece of 1/2" plywood supporting the aluminum decking. - Grandad

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, I DO know this...White Oak, Spruce, Douglas Fir and Southern Yellow Pine (Not White Pine) are also acceptable woods to use in boats. The resins in all of these make the me very water resistant. Since this will be under the bow and protected from sunlight, you could give the would a coat or two of epoxy or even some oil based paint to protect it and it would last for decades. Been workin' with these woods for 40 years and they are ALL very good MARINE grade woods. Mahogany and Teak are the two best AND the most PRICEY!!! I'll go back to smellin' Resin now!!!!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks GD and WOG for the information.

Have a good one!

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got holes drilled and SS hardware fitted into place. Brackets are ready to be installed. Then will temporary connect angle pieces and test fit template. Hope to rivet brackets tomorrow or Thursday after little mate goes down.

Port side bracket with angle piece

Starboard side bracket with angle piece

Last edited:

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some things done yesterday and last night.

Riveted port and starboard brackets in place and test fitted dash template again.

Used the jigsaw to cut the oak dash and test fitted into place.

Had another go with the contact cement and finished both bow pieces ready for install.

Got one 1/4" rivet installed and rivet tool crapped out. The mandrel was stuck in the center. I disassembled the rivet tool and removed the mandrel. Two small pieces fell to the ground and a third almost got away.

So now I have all three pieces but I am not sure how they go back together? I think the three pieces are the grips? And they go in the dark cylinder pictured below. :)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Uh-oh! Yer totally screwed now Hoser!:laugh:

Here's an exploded view of how min comes apart/goes back together:

Mine only has 2 grips, but even with 3 yours looks like it still might be missing a piece? Will those grips fit inside the black cylinder?

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If you need more pics of the different pieces and how they fit together let me know.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you need more pics of the different pieces and how they fit together let me know.

Thanks Jig. Will try again. Not sure if there are supposed to be 4 pieces?

Used stainless steel hardware 1/4" x 1 1/2" to install bow support piece. (instead of rivets) And fitted the bow-top into place.

Have a good one eh! :)

Just joining the party,

You are doing a great job. I have spent the last couple of nights reviewing the project. I was in the boat business for almost 20 years and I have learned a couple of things from your rebuild.

The first boat that I ever was on back in 1968 was a 1958 Cherokee. After years of searching, I finally found that exact boat and purchased it last weekend. It hasn't been in the water since 1981, but is in pretty good shape. I will be following in many of your footsteps as the boat is in need of similar attention.

One thing that I would like to add concerning the hardware you used on the knee braces; the SS self tapping screws should do the job. But if you have issues with it. Look for a hardware called RIVNUTS. they are pulled in with a tool that is similar to a rivet gun and are very handy for blind holes. But definitely install in a piece of scrap first as the tool takes some getting used to. You will love the result.

It also would be a good way to install the decks as the rivnuts have lots of threads that won't wear out with repeated installations of the hardware shoud the need arise. Also, if you could over drill the holes in the decks and seal them the way you did the transom holes if your worried about water intrusion. You can thin the 5200 a bit with a small amout of miniral spirits and paint it into the holes with an acid brush and allow it to cure before you install the deck.

You can use whats called a truss head SS screw to fasten the decks and it looks similar to the rivets and is very attractive. (at least in my opinion ).

I hope you will continue to post as I'm caught up in the boat myself.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Didja ever get that rivet tool put back together Hoser? I can still post those pics...

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class
You are doing a great job. I have spent the last couple of nights reviewing the project. I was in the boat business for almost 20 years and I have learned a couple of things from your rebuild.

Thanks Cherokee. Welcome aboard!

The first boat that I ever was on back in 1968 was a 1958 Cherokee. After years of searching, I finally found that exact boat and purchased it last weekend. It hasn't been in the water since 1981, but is in pretty good shape. I will be following in many of your footsteps as the boat is in need of similar attention.

Love to see some pictures of the old girl.

One thing that I would like to add concerning the hardware you used on the knee braces; the SS self tapping screws should do the job. But if you have issues with it. Look for a hardware called RIVNUTS. they are pulled in with a tool that is similar to a rivet gun and are very handy for blind holes. But definitely install in a piece of scrap first as the tool takes some getting used to. You will love the result.

I am hoping I don't have issues but thanks for the suggestions.

jhendery

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didja ever get that rivet tool put back together Hoser? I can still post those pics...

Hi Jig. Yes, the tool is back together. But I think I am having problems with something else. When I pump the rivet tool it appears to grab the mandrel - good. But after many pumps the mandrel breaks off leaving the center hollow. Could this be related to the thickness of wood and rivet size?

Hollow rivet below with good rivet and used mandrel

I am making progress with the oak dash. The dash is currently 3/4". But I think I need another 1/4" or 1/2" to add more thickness.
My plan is to cut another dash using 1/4" oak and that will serve as the face for the dash. Make sense?

:)

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
~~Hi Jig. Yes, the tool is back together. But I think I am having problems with something else. When I pump the rivet tool it appears to grab the mandrel - good. But after many pumps the mandrel breaks off leaving the center hollow. Could this be related to the thickness of wood and rivet size?
Hollow rivet below with good rivet and used mandrel

Nah, that's normal J. The mandrel breaks off deeper in thicker material, it breaks off at the bottom of the material you're fastening to... so after the mandrel breaks you'll have to pump the handles on the tool a couple of time to pull the mandrel out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.