Is it just me or is the boat to slow

lilb

Seaman
I have a Cobia 225ecs with a 320 hp sbc and alpha 1 gen 2 (1.50) and a quicksilver 14x21 p stainless prop. The boat weights 3800 lbs. I finally got the new motor hrs. up to 12 so i started holding it at wot for about 2 mins. to see what max speed and rpm were. 4800 is max rpm at wot and 44 mph on gps. To me it seems a bit slow.

I was wonderind if anybody has close to the same set up if this is normal speed or is it just me.

Also the coupler is new as is the prop. So u can rule that out.:D

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Is it just me or is the boat to slow

Sounds about right. Borrow a handheld GPS to verify the MPH if you're reading it on a speedometer.

Go a little lower on the prop pitch and you'll slow your holeshot a touch and reduce your RPMs, but you'll increase the top speed. What's the WOT RPM supposed to be for your engine?

45Auto

Commander

Go a little lower on the prop pitch and you'll slow your holeshot a touch and reduce your RPMs, but you'll increase the top speed. What's the WOT RPM supposed to be for your engine?

Actually, going lower on the prop pitch will give you a FASTER holeshot and INCREASE your RPM's at WOT. Whether it increases the top speed or not will depend on exactly where in the RPM range his engine makes max power. It could go either way. 4800 RPM is probably already REAL close to peak power if it's a marine cam, either slightly above it or slightly below it, so you probably only have 1 or 2 MPH at most to gain or lose.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Let's back up a little. I just read some of your other thread regarding replacement. Brings me to a few questions.

1) define the previous engine, performance numbers and anything remotely related like same prop etc.

2) What makes you think this is a 320?

I think Fireman has the lower pitch vs. RPM backwards, and I know he knows, but lower lower pitch will improve hole shot . . .

45Auto

Commander

Beat you by a whole minute there, QC! :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

But I beat Summer Fun by a minute on that dad gum horsepower thing . . .

Summer Fun

Banned

QC, That's only because !!, I couldn't type & answer the phone at the same time. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was typing, texting, talking on the phone while yelling at a kid, and making a sandwich . . .

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I missed the whole thing,.... I was mowin' the lawn....

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I think Fireman has the lower pitch vs. RPM backwards, and I know he knows, but lower lower pitch will improve hole shot . . .

You're absolutely right...ever have one of those days when you couldn't even tie your shoes without help? I'm having one of those lives...thanks for the correction. I thought about it 10 minutes after I hit 'send'.

I probably shouldn't drink so much cough syrup and type...sorry for any misguidance.

NHGuy

Captain

We all hope your cough clears up real quick!

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds about right. Borrow a handheld GPS to verify the MPH if you're reading it on a speedometer.

Was it up on plaine or was your bow sticking up. I used to lower my prop so the boat was running flat on the water. One guy told my the only thing in the water was my prop.(230 hp I/O ChevyThree blade prop) On smooth water I got 65. mph.

lilb

Seaman

The engine I had built it 320 if not more. Lots of good parts went into it.(i no that dont mean much though 350 bored .30 flat top forged pistons,http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/CL12-232-3/10002/-1,world products heads http://www.jegs.com/i/World+Products/955/042660-1/10002/-1 (full port and polish job and 3 angle valve job) edelebrock performer air gap intake(ported and polisded and gasket matched) and elelbrock 1409 marine carb.) I think wit that combo i should be goin a bit faster than 44 mph on gps.(gps is new to so i trust it) The bottom of the baot is clean never sit in the water so can rule that out. I bought the boat needing a motor so I am not at all sure how fast it went with the stock 260 hp

Philster

Captain

Actually, going lower on the prop pitch will give you a FASTER holeshot and INCREASE your RPM's at WOT. Whether it increases the top speed or not will depend on exactly where in the RPM range his engine makes max power. It could go either way. 4800 RPM is probably already REAL close to peak power if it's a marine cam, either slightly above it or slightly below it, so you probably only have 1 or 2 MPH at most to gain or lose.

I have to call you out on something, 45. You're very big on this claim: Whether it increases the top speed or not will depend on exactly where in the RPM range his engine makes max power.

It doesn't matter. If the engine turns at 5000 RPM with a given prop, but makes it's peak power at 4750 RPMs, it DOES go faster at 5000 RPM with the same given prop than it does at 4750 w/same prop. It doesn't matter if it makes more power at 4750, unless one was to buy a prop that was perfectly sized/labbed/tuned/pitched/cupped to run the engine at 4750 RPM at WOT.

If an engine makes 320 HP at 4750 RPM but only makes 300 HP at 5000 RPM, and you have a given prop, and the engine can run up to 5000 RPM with that prop, it goes faster @ 5000 RPM and 300 HP than it does at 320 HP @ 4750 RPM.

45Auto

Commander

You're saying the exact same thing I said but mushing it all up.

If the engine turns at 5000 RPM with a given prop, but makes it's peak power at 4750 RPMs, it DOES go faster at 5000 RPM with the same given prop than it does at 4750 w/same prop.

Nobody ever said that with a given prop the boat would go slower if the engine can turn at a higher RPM. Put a 10" pitch prop on your boat. Higher RPM will equal faster speed with that given prop. However, it will be NOWHERE near the maximum possible top speed your boat is capable of because your engine will rev WAY past max power and you'll be putting much less than your maximum HP into the water.

Your car works the same way. Do you really think your car is faster at 5000 RPM in first gear (maybe 20 MPH) than it is at 2000 RPM in top gear (probably 70 MPH)? Props on boats are just like gears on a car. If you want max top speed you gear it so the power peak coincides with the drag curve. If you want more acceleration, you gear it so the power peak is to the left of the drag curve (underpropped - low gears on cars). If you want max economy, you gear it so the power peak is to the right of the drag curve (overpropped - overdrive on cars). You'll have less top speed because you can never make it to your power peak, but greater fuel economy because you'll have less parasitic power losses. Your throttle will be open further to maintain a given lower speed and you will have less internal pumping losses in the motor. This is the reason a Corvette has 2 overdrive gears - to maximize fuel economy. It's slower in 5th and 6th than in 4th, but gets better cruising mileage in the overdrive gears.

If an engine makes 320 HP at 4750 RPM but only makes 300 HP at 5000 RPM, and you have a given prop, and the engine can run up to 5000 RPM with that prop, it goes faster @ 5000 RPM and 300 HP than it does at 320 HP @ 4750 RPM.

With a given prop, that's true. But put a prop on it where it turns 4750 at WOT and you'll be 20 HP (about 2 MPH) faster than the boat that's turning 5000 RPM and only putting out 300 HP.

In your "given prop" example, the only way you'll hold it at 4750 is to REDUCE your throttle till it's putting out less than 300 HP. At WOT you're putting 300 HP into the water with the engine turning 5000 RPM. Top speed on your boat will be where the amount of drag it creates (water and air) takes 300 HP to balance it.

At 4750 RPM, it obviously takes less than 300 HP to go that speed since it's going slower than it will at 5000 RPM. To hold 4750 RPM you have to REDUCE your throttle till the engine is only putting out the amount of power required for that speed. It has to be less than 300 HP, because you already know the top speed of the boat at 300 HP.

If you go to WOT from 4750 RPM, any additional power above what was required to maintain that speed goes into accelerating the boat. At WOT and 4750 it is putting 320 HP into the water but it takes less than 320 HP to maintain that speed (we know it only takes 300 HP to go 5000 RPM) so it accelerates. At 4900 RPM it will be putting 310 HP into the water. Again, we know it takes less than that (300 HP at 5000) so it keeps accelerating. When it hits 5000 RPM and 300 HP it can't accelerate any further. The amount of power it is putting into the water balances the drag on the boat. So you're going as fast as 300 HP can push you.

If you're smart enough to increase your prop pitch (not a given prop anymore) so at WOT the engine is turning 4750 RPM, now it will be putting 320 HP into the water. It can't accelerate any further because that would take MORE power, but it has LESS power above 4750 RPM. Top speed will be the speed where it takes 320 HP to balance the drag created by the water and air on the boat.

Top speed all comes down to power. Doesn't matter if it's a boat, car, plane, or rocket. Gear it so it's putting the maximum possible power to the water, air, or ground and that is as fast as it can go.

320 HP beats 300 HP every time.

If you had a drag curve for your boat you could easily calculate the top speed. You set the drag equal to the HP delivered (that's why you go faster by putting more HP into the water). This one is for a car and includes only air resistance. For a boat you would need to include water resistance also. You can see why most people don't worry about calculating it:

forcevsdrag.jpg

We had a thread on all this a few years ago, with nice pictures and explanations of POWER REQUIRED vs POWER AVAILABLE. Did you ever read it? Your boat will be at it's fastest when you get the peak of the power curve onto the drag curve. If you have too much pitch, your max power is on the far side of the drag curve and you never get to max power. If you have too little pitch, like in your example, peak power is to the left of the drag curve. You're revving your engine past the power peak and not maximizing the amount of power you can put into the water to attain the maximum speed:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225803&highlight=secrets

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, agree with 45 on this misunderstanding . . .

Back to the OP. Not sure how I missed this but I'm getting 30% slip. Sumpin' ain't right with the numbers or the prop, or the rest of the setup or operation.

Tell us about trim and stuff like that.

Also, FWIW, I am not convinced you are making 320 at 4750 either at the prop or the flywheel. Maybe if she spins a lot faster, but not with the numbers you got there. Also . . . that 320 claim (not sure from who yet) is at the flywheel. You need to subtract as much as 30 bhp through an Alpha, so if it is truly a 320 at the flywheel it will perform like a modern 290 (if there was such a thing) . . .

Philster

Captain

THIS: Actually, going lower on the prop pitch will give you a FASTER holeshot and INCREASE your RPM's at WOT. Whether it increases the top speed or not will depend on exactly where in the RPM range his engine makes max power

It doesn't matter where in the RPM range his engine makes max power, as you implied the increase in RPMs. If she delivers the RPMs, the max HP occurring 200 RPM below WOT max revs does not matter.

What matters is how far down the pitch is. Do the extra revolutions make up for the drop in pitch? That is what matters. If I can spin my motor 400 more times per minute (and thus spin my prop faster), does this 400 engine RPM and extra prop revolutions make up for the drop in pitch? You should only bring up the max HP @ a given RPM if you are buying a prop that will absolutely nail that spot. In all cases where the engine can rev past that spot, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the higher engine revs return more MPH for the lost MPH due to the step down in pitch.

45Auto

Commander

In all cases where the engine can rev past that spot, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the higher engine revs return more MPH for the lost MPH due to the step down in pitch.

The only way the additional engine revs will return more MPH is if it moves the power peak closer to the drag curve. If you're overpropped (engine can't reach max power RPM) a smaller prop will make you faster. If you're underpropped (like you're example, the engine revs past max power RPM) then a bigger prop will make you faster.

It's all taught in freshman statics and dynamics. I've been using it for 25 years to optimize performance.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, guys. Here's the thread that 45 refers to:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=225803

Please let's get back to the OP, and since we have no idea where his peak is, then we can't really use this info yet.

I would support a renewal of the discussion in that thread ^^^^ as I have a clarification to make and a direct reference to it from Mercruiser.