What year is my outboard, 7 pictures to help

hi all, posted the below info earlier but on old thread so here it is again...
hi there, i dont suppose anyones even listening to this thread anymore but, i have just bought a johnson 35 outboard, i need to know what year it is if posibble, where if there are engine numbers would they be?
all i can find on the side block is

326713-2 with an M preceding it, the M is in a few places

it has what looks like a push button to start? at where the tiller would be?

also there is a tidy looking 80 within a pattern on the engine block? maybe this is the year?

i want to give this a full service and get to know it better lol, but i do need to know what im working on,

thanks a great deal if anyone can help me.:eek:

Last edited:

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: What year is my outboard!!!?? Pleeeeze

Have you looked for a data plate on the mounting bracket? There may also be a core plug with stamped numbers on the aft top of the block. The number you have provided is probably a block pn.

You might also post pictures of the motor.

oh thank god sum1s taken a look, umm, aft? , ive looked all over the rear of the outboard, and if you mean the 6 or so inch plate that is also bent at a right angle width ways and is fixed in between the two hitch lock things then nothing there, and its wobbly, just about falling off.

thing is im gunna do a full makeover for this, just to make sure it never falls into disrepair again. :) really cant wait to make a start, but need to find out what it is. so hers sum pictures to try to help :):)

J:cool::):cool:

J

Attachments

• justins mobilepics 396.jpg
    justins mobilepics 396.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobilepics 395.jpg
    justins mobilepics 395.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobilepics 394.jpg
    justins mobilepics 394.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobilepics 393.jpg
    justins mobilepics 393.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobilepics 392.jpg
    justins mobilepics 392.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0

heres some more

Attachments

• justins mobilepics 391.jpg
    justins mobilepics 391.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobilepics 390.jpg
    justins mobilepics 390.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 0

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: What year is my outboard, 7 pictures to help

A core plug is a silvery disc about the size of a quarter, and typically would be on the top aft of the block. Look in the vicinity of the two wires bundles on top of the block. You motor isn't all that old, since it has thru hub exhaust.

The thing that's bent in half is probably the data plate. It should have a serial number and a model number on it.

ill take another look, but the plate is all rusted through, should i replace it? and also is there something that should be on the top of this engine?, looks like theres a few bolt holes missing the bolts and these are around the outside, on the main engine, on the top, as if something were to be over the fly wheel. also, where is the throttle and gear change etc? any help with this would be great, i posted as many pictures as i can but would be happy to post better close ups of specific areas if this helps?:)

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

This is what a core plug looks like:

If I was to take a wild guess, I would guess you motor to be an 1984 or 1986 model, but only if it's really 35HP.

Attachments

• Corroded-Core-Plug copy.gif
    Corroded-Core-Plug copy.gif
    42 KB · Views: 0

i will take another look tomorrow, the plate is far too rusty i think to be able to retrieve any information at all from that. so hopefullt there is a core plug,

and this is located by the bunches of wires? to the side? next to where the cut out cable is coming from?

J

right serial is

j35balcib

with

b11507

i found this on the core plug, thanks wild, really helped out. after looking at sum exploded diagrams of similar engines i managed to locate it. so can anyone help with the year?

oh the b could be an 8 as quite small, and the i could be a 1, but i dont think so.
thanks

j

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

it's a 1981 20 inch shaft 35hp

here are sum core plug pics as clear as i can get em im afraid

Attachments

• justins mobile 400.jpg
    justins mobile 400.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobile 399.jpg
    justins mobile 399.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • justins mobile 402.jpg
    justins mobile 402.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0

AlTn

Commander

shop2.evinrude.com will give you diagrams and numbers..uk source for parts..no clue

shop2.evinrude.com will give you diagrams and numbers..uk source for parts..no clue

brilliant, i think i found the right one.

what im looking for thoughis the top part for the pull start. i found a rewind assembly, but im not sure if this is the whole thing or if i have to buy all the components and put it all together. bearing in mind ive never took one apart to see how it all fits etc. i dont mind the work or how long it takes me i want to learn everything there is to know, but if there is anywhere you can point out with a complete housing that would be great, if you look at my earlier pics you can see what i need by whats missing i suppose, lol, any tips or tricks would also be greatly appreciated. thanks.:rolleyes:

i dont suppose anyone knows where i can download a free version of

1971 - 1989 EVINRUDE JOHNSON OUTBOARD (1hp - 60hp) Manua

i believe this is what i need, the factory manual would be fantastic, i think the cheapest i found is about 10$ free would be perfect though. :):) th\nks again all:) spent hours trying to find it so good luck if you can:)

yeh im on there, but im not sure out of two possibles on there, which one is mine, i get as far as the 1981, then 35, then i got 4 models but not 100% sure which one is mine. :)

thanks again btw, your making my life alot easier :):)

um, what oem book is it that i need then? i already have place mats for glasses lol

Last edited: