Trans cooler hose routing

TilliamWe

Banned
I am going to reinstall my trans oil cooler that I had on my 1987 Chevy van onto my 1990 Chevy van. I threw the original install directions away long ago. So my question is this, do I put the aux trans cooler after the built in radiator cooler? Meaning, does the return line from the transmission still go to the radiator? It seems like it should go that way, but I have been fooled before. Thanks.

Coors

Captain
Re: Trans cooler hose routing

If trying to cool. wouldn't you bypass that hot radiator?

TilliamWe

Banned

I suppose you could, but that is the one thing I am certain of, the cooler is an add on, you don't by pass the radiator.
But the coolant being hot in the radiator is why my little brain says that the fluid goes there first, then to the auxillary cooler, where the air would be cooler than the antifreeze in the radiator.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should run it through the radiator cooler first and then through your auxiliary cooler, I would assume the bulk of the cooling will get done in the auxiliary cooler but since you live in a cold climate in the winter the radiator cooler might help the fluid from being over cooled in the winter. Good Luck with the project!

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I install an auxillary trans cooler, I put the cooler before the factory one in the radiator. My theory is I want to get that heat out into the air, not into the coolant. Also, passing though the engine coolant on the way back gives the tranny fluid a more stable tempature, too cold is hard on the transmission too. I've never lost a transmission to overheating, so I must be doing something right. The transmission is meant to operate at a certain temp just like a motor, this method allows the engine thermostat to help regulate the trans temp.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The fluid should flow through the add-on cooler than the radiator cooler unless your your driving in competition. Trans fluid like all other lubricants is designed to operate in certain temperature range. :)

TilliamWe

Banned

"Back in my old drag racing days, we tied 2 together, bypassing the radiator."
I did have someone tell me one time to put as many on the vehicle as would fit, that there was no such thing as too cold. Knowing just a little about oils and their cold properties, I didn't believe that statement.
Very interesting reading fellas, thanks. I can see both points. (way to take a firm stand there j442w30! he he he) I have the "stacked plate" kind referenced in the link Coors provided, so I know it's the best at cooling. On my old van, I hardly ever ran it in "cold" weather. This one, I might use a little more as a passenger car. I would hate to keep the trans temp too low on a trip! It already acts like the motor runs too cold, so I don't want to run the trans in OD with the torque converter unlocked trying to build heat, cause we all know that will destroy it!
I think I'll route the oil into the aux cooler first, then through the radiator cooler.

Thanks for the input fellas!!!!

dolluper

Captain

My opinion is to run the cooler itself ,to the trannie lines and pulg the rad line holes with screw in plugs ,when the weather gets cold unhook the cooler ,unscrew the plugs and hook up your lines back to the rad

Last edited:

TilliamWe

Banned

While that could work dolluper, that's more effort than I am going to expend for a totally part time vehicle. (I put 5000 miles on my last van in over 5 years of ownership) But thanks for the thought!