Does this points dist look good or bad?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does this points dist look good or bad?

You can't tell if it's good or bad just by looking at a picture.
If there is no side to side movement in the shaft and bushings, and the weights are free and springs in good shape, and everything works, then it's ok.

And please, keep your pictures down to 640 pixals in width.

a70eliminator

Captain

Tune up time, the rubbing block is dry but the rest looks pretty good, the pics don't really show the buisness end of the points but I'm sure there needing replacement.

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tune up time, the rubbing block is dry but the rest looks pretty good, the pics don't really show the buisness end of the points but I'm sure there needing replacement.

agree with the dry rubbing block - but if the points are working they are working, if they aren't then change them.

as Don says pictures tell you nothing - i've had points that look far worse than that cosmetically that operate superbly, and on the other hand i've had brand new items that don't work.

what symptoms is the boat displaying to make you wonder if it needs a service?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have to ask it needs it. You're talking about the cheapest thing to do to a motor to have it run its best. Why hesitate?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

I ask because I know nothing about a points system. I am probably gonna install an electronic ignition but now I'm thinking about fixing this one up and seeing what happens.

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you might consider an electronic conversion kit ... i just put one in from hot spark.com and its not much more than points and condensor ... it screws in where the points go and wires to the coil ... fairly simple install and worth a try before replacing distributor

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you might consider an electronic conversion kit ... fairly simple install and worth a try before replacing distributor

why are we suddenly considering replacing the distributor :confused:

even simpler - and cheaper would be to clean up the mechanical advance, file the points and set the dwell and timing

if no go after that then consider changing to electronic ign

if the dizzy needs replacing due to cam/shaft wear and excessive play then it will need changing even with the electronic mod