1951 sea king help

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I just picked up a 51 sea king 5hp I think. The #'s are 15GG - 9015 and 389989. I just wanted to know if anyone has an electronic manual ie, pdf or know where I can get one. I would also like to get parts for it. Is this site the best? I know I need a coil and carb parts mainly just need the info to tune the carb but it needs a new cork for what I believe is the primer. Dutch

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1951 sea king help

Acmeoutboards dot com has the owners manual/guide you are looking for. Most E-rude/Johnson dealers that stock parts back to the 50's can get your Gale Sea King parts...Gale was the E/J/OMC generic mfg division that made many "badged" motors for different firms like Mont. Ward (Sea King). The older motors and many parts show up quite often on the auction site...but many dealers still carry parts. Laings springs to mind, as does Engine, Blade & Prop in Milwaukee, WI. Good luck with it...they are good, sound little motors.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The cork float is obsolete. Many people have modified a Mercury float, Mercury part number 1395-8983 - Sierra number 18-7208 by drilling out the center for the float pin. But don't do like I did and cut the length down to match the original cork. It didn't have enough floatation to support the weight of the float pin.

They should have the Sierra part here at iboats.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Hi all, I just picked up a 51 sea king 5hp I think. The #'s are 15GG - 9015 and 389989. I just wanted to know if anyone has an electronic manual ie, pdf or know where I can get one. I would also like to get parts for it. Is this site the best? I know I need a coil and carb parts mainly just need the info to tune the carb but it needs a new cork for what I believe is the primer. Dutch

Your motor is based on the Gale 5S10.Unfortunately it shares little with its
cousin E/J motors.It does share the ignition parts.

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

Thats all it needs is one coil I believe. But does anyone know if I really need the cork in the carb or even how that carb works, ie. high and low settings? Dutch

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yeah, you need a float in the carb...but not necessarily a cork one. Of course cork floats are entirely durable if you take some precautions. If the cork float is intact, just soaked with gas and heavy you can take it out, let it dry out completely for a few days, then reseal it with epoxy or fuel-proof dope (for model airplanes at hobby shops), then re-install it. Or you can replace it with a newer float, like has already been suggested. The high and low-speed settings are pretty simple. Turn both clockwise gently until they seat/stop. Turn the high-speed/big needle out (counterclockwise) about 3/4 to 1 turn. Turn the slow-speed/idle needle out about 1 to 1 and 1/4 turn. You'll have to adjust both a little after you get it running. Run it up to speed and adjust the high speed in or out until it runs best, then idle it down and adjust the slow speed the same way. It's best to do final adjustments on the boat, under load.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes it is similar to the 5s10, but with some important differences. More accurately it is a 5D10, with a neutral clutch. The bottom end is the same as a Johnson TN-xx, with a different drive shaft to match the Gale crankshaft.

The carb settings are a tad different than many motors. Open the high speed needle 3/8 turn and put the primer parts on with the knob pointing straight up. When you turn it to the left to prime, it will be around 3/4 turn. Hold in prime position till it drips gas, then turn back to the right just enough to release the primer. Pull the rope and if everything is right it will start on the first pull. On a boat, run at wide open throttle and it will probably be running too rich. Turn the knob to the right till it smoothes out. Now loosen the knob and reposition it pointing straight up.

The slow speed adjustment is really strange. It is a screw that holds the throttle valve part way open. Set it for best slow idle. It has no effect on higher speeds.

You can make money at the launching ramp with that motor. Just bet somebody that this old clunk will start on the first pull.

EDIT: the little lever that operates the primer should point the same direction as the knob pointer

Last edited:

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

If I can figure out how id like to post some pics of my progress. Dutch

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's easy on this site. Click on the "Go Advanced" button below the reply text box. It will take you to another screen where you will see "manage attachments". Follow through and you will see where you are allowed to browse your harddrive to pick out the picture and upload it. Only thin is, the picture has to be small enough.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Or go here.
http://photobucket.com/
Create you an account and upload your pictures there.
It let's you choose the size you want.
Use the 640X480 and they work good here.

Dutch515

Seaman Apprentice

I do have a photobucket account, do I just copy and paste the img link in the text window?