79 Searay SRV195 performance upgrades

79SRV195

Cadet
Hello everybody, I have been a member here for a while and have found a lot of great info relating to my boat. 1979 SRV195 mercruiser260hp

I boat mostly in lakes that are between 2500 and 4000 feet elevation. The performance difference between 4000 feet and close to sea level is drastic. In BC the boat is great, planes easily and can run a 21 inch pitch prop with 4 or 5 adults and full fuel. Here at home I have to put a 19 inch pitch prop on and it still takes longer to plane.

I was thinking of swapping to vortec heads and intake with a new carb as well and then came across what i consider pretty good deal on some parts. I now have a new set of Edelbrock E-Street heads 64cc, performer eps intake, holley 600 marine carb, comp cams xm264hr cam with retrofit roller lifters, hardened pushrods, roller rockers, EMI thunder manifolds and risers, roller chain and gears, the gear for the distributor to match the cam, and a few other small parts and then gaskets. It is all new in the boxes and paid 1000 for all, so i think i did good.

I did a compression test on the motor and have 130-135 compression, I put about 30 hours a season on the boat and dont have to add oil. So I believe my motor to be in good shape.

I boat in fresh water only so i dont think the aluminum parts will be a problem. The questions I have are;

Is the camshaft ok to use or is it a little too much?

My manifolds are the log style and the EMI's are center riser, how much of a problem will it be to match up to my Y-pipe?? I like the EMI manifolds...they are very light compared to mine.

I still have a points distributor and want to upgrade it at the same time, been looking at the delco voyager system, cant seem to find a used t-bolt system anywhere close to here.

Is there anything I am forgetting or does anybody see any problems I may have with doing this?? The boat is in good shape and is the same boat I learned to water ski with a long time ago and want to keep it as long as i can.

Hope you all have a great day

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 79 Searay SRV195 performance upgrades

I'm no marine performance expert, and think I know enough to be slightly dangerous, I'd had a few performance engines myself.

I think you have a good combination the cam seems to be slightly more than a stock roller for a 260hp,350ci, and should be closer to 300hp if not in the 340hp area.

I'd also look at picking up a setup of Roller Tip Rockers, that would round out your selection I think.

as for the Y-pip.. no problem, you will need a pair of turn down elbows for the center risers, the V8 Y's are the same as far as I know.

The Voyager is a nice system, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a new dist too.. Mallory has Marine Dists too..

For a less expensive intermediate solution you can get a Pertronix Kit for under $100US. to replace your points, but could run points without issues. The Pert kit replaces your points plate, which you can keep on the boat as a backup ( dont even have to unscew the points)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The Voyager is a nice system, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a new dist too.. Mallory has Marine Dists too..
The Voyager is a distributor. I would stay away from Pertronix.

Curious...what is your goal here? To use the 21" prop at altitude? I have a feeling that isn't going to happen.

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello everybody, I have been a member here for a while and have found a lot of great info relating to my boat. 1979 SRV195 mercruiser260hp
Is there anything I am forgetting or does anybody see any problems I may have with doing this??

umm.. doesn't your boat have an Alpha 1 outdrive? You can't push too much hp through that thing or you'll ear 'er up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Of course that won't be a problem at 4000 feet since he is just trying to recover lost power from what he had at sea level. Also, when he goes back to sea level, just take it easy on the throttle and there is no problem. Don't see this as an issue at all.

zbnutcase

Commander

A grand for all those parts is a smokin deal if they are new.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

the Alpha 1 can handle upto 350hp without issue if treated and cared for properly

and stay away from Pertonix why ? because' it's not a $250 solution ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

and stay away from Pertonix why ? because' it's not a $250 solution ?
1) No performance gain from using points.
2) Less reliable than points.

2 good enough reasons for me.

haulnazz15

Captain

1) No performance gain from using points.
2) Less reliable than points.

2 good enough reasons for me.

Again, as I mentioned in another thread, I would like to see empirical data supporting your claim that they are unreliable. Points systems have to be maintained and are usually replaced every 3 years or so as a general maintenance item. I don't see a lot of people replacing their electronic ignitions, Pertronix or otherwise, every 3 years. The performance gain is not having degredation of the points over time, it's not something that adds HP. Once you have the ignition purchased/set up, it's just as reliable and more hassle free.

Sounds like somebody has had a bad experience or two and thinks that all Pertronix units are unreliable and a waste of money . . .

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I've installed Pertronix ( which is what Sierra Marine Sells @ almost double the price ) in many boats and the customers found that the engines idled smoother and slower, started easier even when flooded or over choked ( which I have had personal experience with )..

I had 2 sets of points, 1 in the boat, and bought another set, couldn't get either to fire, replaced with a Pert set, fired right up !! and even over came a choke that was incorrectly set.

Hope you carry a spare set of points with you and that you never leave the key on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hope you carry a spare set of points with you and that you never leave the key on.
Which is of course is the main reason why a Pertronix setup will fail.

How an electronic ignition can overcome an incorrect choke is an interesting observation. The pertronix unit is just an electronic switch. Its a solid state version of the mechanical points. Its not making your spark any hotter. Its not changing the energy output of the coil.

Why not spend the extra dollars and go with a Delco EST? No more centrigul weights...timing advance is all done electronically. Proven reliability as it is used my OEMS like Volvo and Mercruiser.

This is just my opinion. If you don't like it, its fine. You are allowed to use whatever you want.

haulnazz15

Captain

The ignitor II eliminates the key "on" position which can harm points-ignitions. It will auto shut-down when the key is left on without the engine running. Not a major deal, but one benefit over the points. If you are that worried about the mechanical advance failing, then I suppose the EST is better.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

cant go with an EST on an inline 6 or a 470, theres' nothing available

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Interesting that these performance gains that they measured were around 1%. Also interesting that the people running the test are distributors for Pertronix. Reminds me of a Scamsoil...I mean Amsoil advertisement.

Without knowing the temperature of the test conditions, wind, etc pretty much a non-improvement statistically speaking. Like I said before, no performance improvements with pertronix...as expected.

79SRV195

Cadet

I'm no marine performance expert, and think I know enough to be slightly dangerous, I'd had a few performance engines myself.

I think you have a good combination the cam seems to be slightly more than a stock roller for a 260hp,350ci, and should be closer to 300hp if not in the 340hp area.

I'd also look at picking up a setup of Roller Tip Rockers, that would round out your selection I think.

as for the Y-pip.. no problem, you will need a pair of turn down elbows for the center risers, the V8 Y's are the same as far as I know.

For a less expensive intermediate solution you can get a Pertronix Kit for under $100US. to replace your points, but could run points without issues. The Pert kit replaces your points plate, which you can keep on the boat as a backup ( dont even have to unscew the points)

Thanks for the reply. I do have full roller rockers that came with what I bought. I do think I will need to get a new set of valve covers though, i dont think mine are tall enough for the new rockers.

79SRV195

Cadet

The Voyager is a distributor. I would stay away from Pertronix.

Curious...what is your goal here? To use the 21" prop at altitude? I have a feeling that isn't going to happen.

I am not sure if I will be able to use the 21 pitch here with the upgrades but will try it out and see what happens. As it is now I would be happy to get the level of performance here when im done as I get at lower altitude. My motor now will take me to 48.8 mph gps at 4500 rpm here at 2500 feet or so but it takes to long to plane and almost wont with 5 adults with a ski in tow.

79SRV195

Cadet

umm.. doesn't your boat have an Alpha 1 outdrive? You can't push too much hp through that thing or you'll ear 'er up.

Its a pre alpha and was rebuilt 2 years ago. I think with the altitudes i boat in I dont think I will be making over 300 hp. At lower elevations I will be taking it easy as I wont need to give it all she has to give

79SRV195

Cadet

Of course that won't be a problem at 4000 feet since he is just trying to recover lost power from what he had at sea level. Also, when he goes back to sea level, just take it easy on the throttle and there is no problem. Don't see this as an issue at all.

Thanks....thats kind of what I was thinking