Best Wiring Connectors

mscher

Lieutenant
I'm in the process of rewiring the trailer, with LED tail and marker lights.

The "kit" came with wire nuts, which I assume is for the tails and the pinch type conncector to splice in the markers.

Are these the best connectors to use, or just the cheapest? This trailer will set outside plenty, be dunked in fresh water only. I'd like to use the best holding connectors and to protect them from corrosion, as best as possible.

I normally use the tube-style connectors, that you crimp each end, which contains a wire.

Any input appreciated.

Fishing56

Seaman
Re: Best Wiring Connectors

Just done the same repair. Mine had a lot of the crimp connectors which were giving me problems. My solution was to use heat shrink tubing and solder the wires together. Of course you need to slide the heat shrink on before you solder the wires together.

Fishing56

asm_

Petty Officer 1st Class

soldering is a good for creating a great electrical connection. It pretty much does nothing if the main concern is corrosion. For that you will need to use adhesive lined shrink wrap.

B

MM3Canuck

Cadet

soldering is a good for creating a great electrical connection. It pretty much does nothing if the main concern is corrosion. For that you will need to use adhesive lined shrink wrap.

B

The shrink wrap will protect the solder part itself, BUT from my experience with trailer wiring, it does not matter what you use to make the connection. - They all corrode.

Shrink wrap = the wire will corrode right after shrink wrap, and break off (don't as me why!! but it does:confused:)

Any other connectors = will corrode and become bridle after some time as well

Solution = There is none, but ALWAYS leave lots and lots of extra wire (and hide the wire inside the lamp housings) when redoing your wiring. Once your connections are rotten, simply cut off and re-connect with new connectors

You only have to do this every few years anyway....no biggy! :)

Brewman61

Ensign

Crimp connectors are easy, and a lot of people don't want to mess with soldering. That's why they're used in those kits so ofter.
But to me soldering is best way to join the wires. Heat shrink tubing in top of that, and if done correctly you'll have a nice trouble free junction.

oldjeep

Admiral

If you get the glue filled shrink wrap it makes a good waterproof seal.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I fill the wire nut with 5200 and just twist it on. I boat in salt and have never had to redo one.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Trailer wiring is one of those places where you really get what you pay for. Get good quality wire, solder and heat shrink. Marine wire comes tinned the entire length, and will resist corrosion better than wire that is simply untreated copper. Solder (for electrical purposes ) is solder, although I will say " Don't use plumbing solder " . The Heat shrink as previously mentioned, should have an adhesive in it, also take the time to work the diameter of the tubing, not just the bottom. You might also use two or even three layers of tubing. I do two over each joint and then one over the entire harness in the area of the joints. Also, don't put all the joints right next to each other, stagger them so there is some space between. It'll look better and be easier to seal the whole.

Bad Description, but kinda like this
ground
--------- turn/brake
----------- ---------- running

hope it helps:)

Last edited:

MM3Canuck

Cadet

Crimp connectors are easy, and a lot of people don't want to mess with soldering. That's why they're used in those kits so ofter.
But to me soldering is best way to join the wires. Heat shrink tubing in top of that, and if done correctly you'll have a nice trouble free junction.

The junction will be fine, but my point is that it will corrode right after the shrink wrap. So in the end both ways only have a life span of x years. But soldering def. makes the ultimate connection!

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have used the butt connectors that come with the heat shrink with great success and not a single problem. This includes trailers cars and a multitude of other projects. On my truck there are 4 of these exposed to salt spray in the midwest winters and have been fine for the past 7 years. My trailers have all had them and I have never had one fail. This includes boat, snowmobile, camper and utility trailers. One caveat is that I don't boat in salt water. If you use crimp connectors invest in a good crimper, not the junk crimpers that come in the kits. Take it for what its worth. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about. You can get them at Radio Shack, Menards, Home Depot, etc.

Attachments

• waterproof butt connector.jpg
    waterproof butt connector.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

Treager

Seaman Apprentice

Agree that soldering is generally best with adequate protection from insulation.

3M sells connectors with dielectric grease applied for a waterproof connection as well, but are generally harder to find, usually have to go to a specialty electrical store. (MNG14BCM, 314, 804)

Brewman61

Ensign

.... Solder (for electrical purposes ) is solder, although I will say " Don't use plumbing solder "

I second that. I have a spool of lead acid flux core solder that I use for wiring- works really well. Plumbing solder probably works ok, but I save that for sweating copper.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I use these adhesive lined crimps also. I boat only in saltwater and have never had one fail on either the boat or the trailer. None have any signs of rust or corrosion - 7 years and counting.

I think solder is bad, the reason the wire breaks where the solder stops is because of vibration. The copper wires are flexible up until the solder point. This is where metal fatigue occurs and the copper wire fails. This is why soldered splices are not allowed in aiplanes.

Wire vibrates, wire breaks and plane drops like a rock.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I second that. I have a spool of lead acid flux core solder that I use for wiring- works really well. Plumbing solder probably works ok, but I save that for sweating copper.

Acid core solder shouldn't be used for electrical connections. Rosin core solder is best for electrical. The residue from the acid core solders will cause accelerated corrosion of the parent material.

As far as plumbing solder, there is solid core plumbing solder that would do fine for electrical but has no flux to aid in tinning of bare copper and has a higher melting point. The higher melting point would mean more heat applied to the parent component but the electrical connection itself would be fine.

Daley

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got certified in automotive electronics 15+ years ago, and having lived in Wisconsin's harsh salt-infested winter road conditions as well as Texas' salty air, the best way that I've found so far is NO SOLDER with the GOOD 3M tape ($3-$5 a roll). Here's the theory (that has worked for well over two decades for me):

If you use crimps/wire-nuts/etc., you have created a point in the metal (wire) that does not flex with the rest of the wire. We all know what happens when you keep bending metal back-and-forth after a while - it breaks. So that's why I don't solder - the wire remains flexible even through the junction. Now wrap the tape around it as tight as you can, and do two layers - one that just overlaps the junction a little, and then wrap over that with a second layer - in the opposite direction.

Doing it this way keeps moisture out (so as to avoid corrosion), and keeps the joint flexible so it doesn't break under constant flexing.

There's no concern about the junction pulling apart, because you've wrapped it twice with quality tape. If you're pulling it *that* hard, you've got other issues.

If you've got a plug of any sort (like where the harness connects to the trailer), put a little Vaseline in there to keep moisture out. It won't short (trust me), and it's not something you mind getting on your fingers in the event you grab it wrong. I've seen people use axle/bearing grease for this as well, and while it does a good job, it's not as easy to deal with as Vaseline.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

This is why soldered splices are not allowed in aiplanes.

First let me say that I prefer the crimp connectors I pictured, but "not allowed" and "not recommended" are two entirely different things. The following quote is straight from FAA Advisory Circular AC 65-15A:

"Solder splices may be used, but they are particularly brittle and not recommended."

They even show how to do them in AC 65-15A.

The fact that a solder splice is more brittle near the solder joint may be offest by the installation and providing more support to the joint. A properly supported joint won't have a problem with the increased brittleness.

In the case of a trailer, I'm not real worried about the trailer dropping like a rock if the wire breaks. A solder joint is fine in my opinion for a trailer light connection if that is what you want to do, but I prefer to crimp them.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Acid core solder shouldn't be used for electrical connections. Rosin core solder is best for electrical. The residue from the acid core solders will cause accelerated corrosion of the parent material.

Second that. Recently completed a marine electrical/electronics course (USPS). The training materials were specific in that respect, as was the certified marine engineer who taught the course.

My .02

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

I fill the wire nut with 5200 and just twist it on. I boat in salt and have never had to redo one.

At Home Depot they have wire nuts filled with diaelectric grease. When I maintained phone and CATV at a marina in the keys, dialelectric-filled crimp connectors were the rule. That was what Bell used, also.

-E

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I use Ancor marine crimp connectors like those shown above but use Liquid Electrical Tape to seal round the wire to keep water out of the crimped joint...I am in salt water and so far this has worked well...once a season or so I go round and see if any of the crimps needs a new coat of the Liquid Electrical Tape...