Wich company is best

seasprite

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everybody I was just woundering wich company is best for quality parts for my 77 85hp johnson seems to be good bit diffence in price beteen mallory & sierra for parts Im going to reseal my lowerunit & replace my water pump impeller been 8 years since water pump has been replaced.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Wich company is best

For water pump parts, I would only use BRP OEM parts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are both aftermarket items. i always try to use the OEM parts.

seasprite

Seaman Apprentice

I called the dealer the other day the impeller looks like BRP part # 777212 for $48.00 the seal kit they quoted me was $ 39.00 part#18-2692 looks like sierra part# my question is then are oe parts starting to get hard to come by because I would like to stay oe for as long as I can

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some things are nla. the 18# is sierra

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I suspect that Sierra and OMC parts are made on the same assembly line in China.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

With the OMC ones having slightly tighter tolerances...

seasprite

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your help I'll be ordrering parts soon so I can get ready for spring fishing love those crappie & walleye

Benny1963

Lieutenant

i run brp waterpump kits but irecently used a sierra kit its done well
i have also run sierra coils and power packs with no probs .but i feel if you have the money run brp
bennyb

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I suspect that Sierra and OMC parts are made on the same assembly line in China.

Dont want to hijack the thread in any way, but just as a point of interest, Steve is correct in his response to this. Just as an example, a "Brand Name X" cordless drill that you buy from a certain big box store(which will remain un named) that we all shop at or from a hardware store are not the same drill. This un named store asks that the products run for their store are manufactured with inferior bearings, etc... to keep costs down.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

i compared my old pump brp to the sierra that i bought there is a different
shaft seal on the sierra its and oring between the liner and the housing
but it seems to work well .my stator killed a new brp power pack and i replaced with sierra parts and they havent givin up .but it appears that brps products are better made .
bennyb

iwombat

Captain

I've been using the sierra impellers in my '77 85hp (and all my others too). No problems.

seasprite

Seaman Apprentice

iwombat,how long do u go bofore changing impellers I know it recomened once a season but that seems to short as I said at start of this it been 8years for this one & it was oe I know its a little on the long side just wondering if sierra would give me the same service life as oe.

iwombat

Captain

I replace mine every other year. I did so with the oem impellers too. They're pretty cheap, and dropping the LU only takes a few minutes. The sierras look pretty good after a couple of seasons. They'd probably go a few more, but why take the chance in a wicked tide and big rocks?