spotters in VA

corelock

Cadet
I live and boat in VA. I have been told a spotter is required, even when the skier is wairing UCGC approved life jacket. The way I read the law, only one of the above is required. Have I missed something?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: spotters in VA

In NC it's either

A spotter, or
A mirror, or
A life jacket on the skier

Kind of dumb if you ask me as I use all 3.

Brewman61

Ensign

Can you access the boating laws online for your state? Rules may vary.

Here in MN, there needs to be a USCG approved wearable life preserver on board for the skiier- they don't need to wear it but one needs to be there.

The boat must have a spotter, or the driver can use a rear view mirror in lieu of the spotter.

I will not pull anyone on anything behind my boat unless they are wearing their life vest. And I insist on a spotter for most. I have a couple trusted individuals that I'll pull with just my mirror, but usually I have no trouble getting an extra passenger to come along.

I still use the mirror even with a spotter. Sometimes the spotters loose focus.
Almost like the spotters need spotters!

oldjeep

Admiral

Can you access the boating laws online for your state? Rules may vary.

Here in MN, there needs to be a USCG approved wearable life preserver on board for the skiier- they don't need to wear it but one needs to be there.

BS The law states that you have to be able to get to your life jacket easily. They will site you if you are in the boat and your jacket is in a closed compartment, skiing without a jacket is definitly a violation (and stupid)

oldjeep

Admiral

In answer to the OP's question:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/boating/wog/water-skiing-safety.asp

Water Skiing Safety
The boating law contains several provisions relating to the towing of persons on water skis, aquaplanes, and similar devices; and the manipulation of such devices by the person being towed. This is especially important when towing people from a small boat, such as a PWC.

1.All boats towing a water skier(s) or other persons on towed devices MUST have ONE of the following:
◦a. Persons being towed must be wearing a USCG approved life jacket or
◦b. There must be an observer on the boat (in addition to the operator) who is in a position to observe the progress of the skier.
2.A person(s) being towed on water skis or other device may not operate in a reckless or dangerous manner.
3.A person(s) being towed on water skis or other device may not operate while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including prescription narcotics and illegal drugs.
4.The operator of the boat towing a water skier(s) or person(s) on another towing device may not manipulate or control the boat so as to cause the person( s) being towed to collide with any object or person.
5.Water skiing (or towing of people on other devices) is allowed only between one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Check the official sunrise and sunset times for your area.

Brewman61

Ensign

BS The law states that you have to be able to get to your life jacket easily. They will site you if you are in the boat and your jacket is in a closed compartment, skiing without a jacket is definitly a violation (and stupid)

Sorry crabby guy but it's not BS. It's perfectly legal in MN to have a life preserver on board the boat for a skiier. I don't know where you're getting this closed compartment stuff, I believe I said that the preserver must be available to the skiier.

To quote from the MN laws regarding skiing behind a boat:

WATER SKIING,
TUBING & WAKE BOARDING
Laws and Rules
(1) It is unlawful to tow a person on water skis,
wakeboard, tube, or similar device unless
there is a mirror providing the operator a
wide field of vision to the rear, or unless
another person in the towing watercraft is
continuously observing the person being
towed.
(2) Water skiing, tubing and similar acts are
prohibited between one hour after sunset to
sunrise of the following day.
(3) Tow ropes may not be longer than 150 feet
in length, unless a permit is obtained from
the county sheriff.
(4) A wearable U.S. Coast Guard approved
personal flotation device (PFD) must either
be worn by the person being towed, or
carried in the towing watercraft.

If you don't believe me look it up yourself.

BS indeed.

oldjeep

Admiral

You are correct, and that is a pretty goofy law. How in the world is a PFD considered available to you when you are 75 feet behind the boat? If you ever get pulled over for a safety check, they make each passenger grab their jacket to prove they are accessable.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=6110.1200&keyword_type=all&keyword=water+skis

C.Persons being towed by a watercraft on water skis or other devices shall be considered to be on board the towing watercraft for the purpose of personal flotation device requirements. A U.S. Coast Guard approved Type I, II, or III personal flotation device must be either carried in the towing watercraft or worn by the person being towed.

corelock

Cadet

That's exactly what I thought. The person who told me that was my boating saftey instructer. Btw, he is also family. I wanted to make sure before I said something. At this point, I pull the kids on a tube. They are not allowed not the boat without a pfd. I would not pull ANYONE, on anything, with a pfd.

Bifflefan

Commander

I used to wear one of those waist belts when i started skiing, Now I would not touch one. Wear the vest weather its the law or not.

oldjeep

Admiral

I used to wear one of those waist belts when i started skiing, Now I would not touch one. Wear the vest weather its the law or not.

I've been pulled out of the water twice barely able to move, once after doing a head snap going over the front of the ski and most recently after tearing some muscles in my ribcage. No way my wife or the kids are going to be able to get to me and drag me in quick enough if I'm not floating.

As for the spotter, I prefer to have a spotter when I drive and when the wife drives even though I've got a mirror. There are usually other boats around and I need to watch them.