Mercury Questions HELP!

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1969 7.5hp Kiekhaefer Mercury and im trying to take the lower unit apart so i can get to the impeller because the engine isnt peeing but, should i be able to rest my hand on the engine block above the pistons and it just feel warm or did i not give it enought time to heat up? ive taken very many bolts and nuts off the motor to try n take the lower unit off but i believe i have to take the gearcase off? what does it look like? p.s. this is my first gas powered boat motor so if you can provide info in an elementary way, please do lol HELP..... THANKS

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury Questions HELP!

The engine should be warm when touching the block but not hot. there are onlt 2 nuts holding the lower unit on one is under the caviation plate at the rear and takes a 1/2" socket the other is forward of the swival bracket and underneath it facingn up and is 9/16" you need a wrench for that one and the unit should come dowm.

rndn

Commander

Welcome to the forum. You should really get an OEM service manual for the outboard.

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

is there anymore detail you can give me to let me know what these things may look like (caviation plate & swival bracket) because like i said im new to this stuff and i have no idea what they look like?! Please 'n' Thanks

Laddies

Banned

This is really quite foolish for me to give you this info, as was posted before you are in desperate need of a manual.
scan0004.jpg

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah i know but i appreciate it though....so this here is the info ill need to get to the impeller? Reason im asking is because this has to do with the gear housing!? Curiousity question....does this admiral "rank" under your name have to do with how long you've been a member? j/w

old-gubbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Starzn

As posted by Spinnerbait-Nut: (SBN - I hope you don't mind)

"Default Re: Achieving Rank or Being Promoted on Iboats
1 | cadet
30 | seamen apprentice
50 | seaman
75 | petty officer 3rd class
100 | petty officer 2nd class
200 | petty officer 1st class
400 | chief petty officer
650 | senior chief petty officer
800 | master chief petty officer
900 | ensign
1250 | lieutenant
1500 | lieutenant commander
1000 | lieutenant junior grade
2000 | commander
3000 | captain
4000 | rear admiral
5000 | vice admiral
6000 | admiral
7500 | fleet admiral
10000 | supreme mariner
__________________"

And as posted by Oops (modified slightly):(Oops - I hope you don't mind)

"welcome to i boats

this is a really good site...
lots of pros here willing to help......lots of amateurs with good opinions or advice....

most any question that you have has already been asked on these forums...just hit search...

just a side note...the moderators here dont get paid and are very helpful...so give them respect...they have all earned it...

cheers.....looking foward to hearing from u in the future.
again welcome aboard.

oops"

And the same applies to Laddies and other experts. Look around old threads and hang around for a few years, and you will see the great depth of expertise on offer here!

As said before, to do much work on any outboard motor, it is HIGHLY recommended to get an original manufacturers' workshop manual, but even an owners manual can provide some basic guidance, and I reckon you should take a good look through the Engine FAQ section. Believe me, you can take days reading and learning on iboats!

This is a link to Mercury Europe, Download section, Owners manuals:
http://www.brunswickmarineemea.com/download/preparesearch?mod=4&lang=EN

Hope this helps,

O-G

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

Man, that link worked awesome! yeah i deffinatly need to get a manual, just cant afford one right this second but you guys have helped tremendously thanks a billion and now its on with that motor lol Thanks again fellas

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

I downloaded the manual and I have the propeller nut and splined washer off (i broke the washer off) but the propeller still isnt lifting off? what should i do? ive pryed on it with my hammer, sprayed the crap out of it with WD-40 and like i said it isnt working! Any Suggestions?

old-gubbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are others far more experienced than me, who might well respond, but in the mean time...

I would give it more time with WD40, ie time to penetrate, apply some heat, but go carefully, 'cos you don't want to damage the rubber in the propellor hub and the seals in the gearcase. Try pouring boiling water over the prop. hub, and pull the prop firmly while a second person hits the end of the prop. drive shaft with either a plastic hammer, or an ordinary hammer, but with a piece of hardwood between the propshaft and the hammer.

However, if the shaft was not greased, as Bond-o says here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=233782&highlight=remove+prop :-(

or:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228324&highlight=prop+removal

Do a search, There are many more threads around on this subject, over the years.

Hth

o-g

old-gubbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you winding me up!?

Prop. = abbreviation for propellor.
Prop. hub = the middle bit of the prop. ie the round/cylindrical bit, not the blades.

Specifically, the innermost bit of the hub, which is supposed to slide off the propellor shaft. There is rubber between the inner hub section, which slides onto the propellor shaft, and the outer section which includes the propellor blades, that is why you want to warm up the inner section, if possible.

The propellor shaft is the splined shaft which extends backwards out of the gear case, onto which the propellor fits, and at the end of which are fitted a bolt and washers to keep the propellor on. (See p.13, Figure 11, of your owners' manual)

DO NOT hit the end of the propellor shaft directly with an ordinary steel hammer, unless you want to ruin the propellor shaft.

o-g

StarznBarrz

Seaman Apprentice

lol no not trying to wind you up i know prop meant propeller i just didnt know what the hub was but i appreciate the indepth response!