Literacy and what-not

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Literacy and what-not

There is never a second chance to make a first impression.

Bad word selection, spelling, grammar or punctuation will make a poor impression and often distort the message sufficiently to make it ineffective.

I am annoyed a bit by that sort of thing. A lot less if it seems that the poster is making a sincere effort to communicate.

I am annoyed more if it seems that the poster doesn't care or is too lazy to clean up his post before he hits the "post" icon.

I am annoyed a lot by literate giant wannabes who persist in disrespecting or ridiculing the posters effort.

I am annoyed most by the mockers who think it is somehow funny to imitate bad posting skills.

JB, that is a sure sign you are turning into an old fart. :D

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Most of my posts are edited to fix the mess I made. My mistakes bug the heck out of me. I caught myself mixing there and their last week. :(
At the same time I don't like to judge others. It's hard to get an appreciation for what has shaped them.
Best example is the thread in these forums that was started by a war vet, with a head injury who was recovering from a stroke. From the get go, the English skills were poor and even further, you could tell that something just wasn't right. Some people ripped on him even after hearing the back story. That is infinitely worse than poor grammar and it really made me rethink my attitude towards the communication skills of others.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

{It also makes me question 'how does this person have a job that pays well enough to allow him/her to afford a boat?}'
thats funny ive had the same job for 15 years ive only missed one week of work when i had a heart attack i make 6 figures a year
ive never had anyone fix anything for me and i built my own house that was appriesd for 400k been a member here for like 6 years and dont think i even have 500 posts for this reson i see ?s go un answerd all the time and i wont answer becuse one of you gods will just ripe on how i wrote it
this subject comes up all the time on here and it usally pisses me off and i quit reading posts for a bit
im sorry i just dont get it ive tried my mil is a english teacher and she tried to help me i just dont get it
im a punctuation retard
you know to me its the same as you telling a guy in a wheel chair thay shouldnt leave the house
i bet you laugh at handicaped folks to

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Doesn't sound like any of those guys will do us much good here. I've seen very few posts in Spanish, and I doubt if the vast majority of us live close enough to your farmer or machinist for them to demonstrate anything to us. The point in writing is to transmit information. On these forums, not being able to effectively communicate information in writing is the same as not knowing the information. In either case, the person seeking the information does not receive it.

Not saying your guys aren't the greatest and smartest in the world, they may be. But without effective communication the dissemination of their knowledge is limited to the people they are in direct contact with. Same applies to any other posters on the internet. If you can't effectively communicate your knowledge in writing it doesn't do anyone else any good.

Sorry, just calling it as I see it.

I think your missing the point of his examples. The subject of this thread implies that those who don?t use proper grammar in their posts are somehow less intelligent or beneath those who do. He was providing examples of people that may not have the same grammar skills as those who are fortunate enough to have better educations but are still intelligent people who have a wealth of knowledge that they could pass on and if you are lucky enough to get it, you shouldn?t get hung up on something such as their grammar.

The truth is, yes it can be hard to figure out what someone is trying to explain because of grammar, spelling or poor wording but asking some question can get the information you need to help them or for them to help you. I have never seen those that know a ton about motors and boats in general mock and insult those that don?t know how to turn a wrench, remove a drive unit, do fiberglass or tow a trailer.

I repeat my first post on this thread, it?s not like anyone hear is submitting an English mid-term paper.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

JB, that is is a sure sign you are turning into an old fart. :D

Oh rats!! I thought I had passed that test. :( What more must I do to be properly certified as a genuine Old Fart?? :p

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I don't take issue with anyones grammar.
What I do question is there refusal to use the 'spelling-grammar check'.

I got a brother, Ard, with a successful business and employees, and he can't even write in lower case, and his grammar does not exist.
The next brother is a journalist and owns publications.
Every time we meet, he says "type in this program Ard, check with this....IT DOES IT FOR YOU Ard!! Then cut, paste, print...whatever"....but hull, will he do it....just about a badge of honor appearing stupid....but it's not....because the issue comes up between us brothers, and Ard is always embarrased....but he won't use tools available.

I wonder is poor grammar is not a sort of 'block' for the sufferers.

And before we go on about computer skills, this one designs and makes all his 'decals'. This one is clever!!

I can't cut 2 hunks of timber the same length, and mechanically they reckon I could break a cannon ball, and there is no grammar-spell check equivalent for me, cause if there was, I'd be using it day and night.

Cheers
Phillip

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Luckilly over the years (I joined in 2003) the board has not picked up the "spelling Nazi" mentality. This is a message board, and that is all. So expect spelling errors, typos, etc and don't get on anyone's case about it. Pointing out spelling/grammar errors in a post really detracts from the focus of the post, and more often than not, makes the person complaining look like a whiner.

That being said, my favorite gripe is the phrase "needs replaced". This I have seen from many different people, so I think it might be a regional expression. To me in the N.E. part of the country, "needs replaced", besides being grammatically incorrect, just does not sound right to the ear. Parts "need replacing" or parts "needed to be replaced" or "needs to be replaced", but parts do not "needs replaced".

End of gripe! :D

45Auto

Commander

Bubba1235 said:
I can't think of a post I have seen here I could not read and grasp. Perhaps the problem is with the reader and not the writer.

That's the whole problem with ineffective communication. You think you're grasping what the writer is saying, but in reality you're not. He means something totally different than what he writes. :eek:

The problem is frequently in both the reader and the writer, where the writer thinks he is saying one thing and the reader "grasps" that he is saying something different.

Although I have no doubt that you think you understand everything ever posted here, the reality is that sometimes you are mistaken. Whether due to poor writing skills or an incorrect interpretation by the reader, some errors are inevitable. Better communication skills just minimize those errors.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Oh rats!! I thought I had passed that test. :( What more must I do to be properly certified as a genuine Old Fart?? :p

Hang in there, JB! Won't be long.;)

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i agrre peoples ought two try too use they're best grammar otherwize theyll tink youre dum

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I ain't the smartest person, but the lousy grammer and complete lack of puncuation can annoy. Especially when someone writes a 800 letter post in one long string. Makes me go cross-eyed, and I usually have trouble figuring out just what the heck their problem is that they are asking help for...

Here is something for your brain to dwell on : if you are concerned about the decline of literacy in these United States, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, besides complain in online forums! There are hundreds of literacy help programs out there looking for volunteers. If you are so $^&* smart, prove it!

jonesg

Admiral

English isn't the first language for some who post here, nor the second.

I get annoyed when Americans spell aluminium differently ,
and its not color its colour.
And your trailer runs on tyres.!

Why can't you all talk dead good English like what we dose.

j_martin

Admiral

Just get Firefox it has a built' in spelling checker. :D

Eye halve a spelling chequer

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my pea sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when I rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's Hour
spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flair,
Their are no fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a ware.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays,
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting too pleas.

-- Sauce Unknown

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

English isn't the first language for some who post here, nor the second.

I get annoyed when Americans spell aluminium differently ,
and its not color its colour.
And your trailer runs on tyres.!

Why can't you all talk dead good English like what we dose.

Sounds like you have an ax(e) to grind. ;)

tommays

Admiral

CAL 29 Sea Fever

a blog by someone who spells bad and writes even worse SO read no more if you cant deal with it

And yet people ask me for help on Cal29s fairly offen ;)