Muffs needed? Help quickly please...

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why on a sterndrive motor cant you use a large garbage barrell or something to put the prop and lower in?

I f i fill it with water and run it, whats the difference between muffs, i would almost think its safer. Is it okay for me to use a large barrell instead?

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Muffs needed? Help quickly please...

I use to use a 55 gallon drum under all my outboards I repaired. I would imagine if it is filed with water. But remember if you have an oil leak it could run back through the impeller and damage it.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

used to use big rubbermaid container on my outboard, never tried on Sterndrive but the principle is the same should work, just make sure waterlevel stays above intake and nothing blocks the exhaust.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Using the "bucket method" requires the water lever be ABOVE the impeller ,nothing to do with the intake holes that are usually 10 inches below the impeller

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... And it takes a 'ell of a barrel to sink an Outdrive...

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why does the water level have to be above the impeller if it's in a tub? Water level won't be up to the impeller if it's on the muffs either? I run my Alpha 1 in a rubbermaid tub with the hose in and water running, water level only goes one inch or so over the intake holes, but this method seems to work great, but if I'm screwing something up by doing this, I gotta know!

PBJMAN

Cadet

So with the barrel method, how soon do you end up with a barrel of hot water?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Why does the water level have to be above the impeller if it's in a tub?

The level doesn't have to be above the impeller. That would hard to do on a Volvo or Bravo drive with the raw water pump inside the boat.
The water just needs to be above the pickups. When on plane, the pumps are out of the water Mercs and OMC's with pumps in the drive.

liquidlew

Petty Officer 1st Class

So with the barrel method, how soon do you end up with a barrel of hot water?

I mentioned how I do it in my previous post. I leave the garden hose in the tub with the water running, that way you still have a supply of cool water gettin in there.

Thanks Don, that one by BT about the water level having to be above the impeller didn't make sense to me, but just in case, I had to ask!

Hawk Eyes

Seaman Apprentice

I use a plastic tote box for my vovlo. Its nice because all the exst water can be blowen over the end of the tote. I just have to keep an eye on the hose.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Thats how I test the the impeller and raw water pump. With muffs, with the water hose pressure, you will get a false sense of water pressure forcing its way through the cooling system.
I used one of those green recycle bins from waste management, lined with a plastic trash bag. I to keep the water hose in the tub to keep fresh/full supply of water. Just becareful not to shift into gear as the tub fits close around the prop.

Jim