2001 optimax 200hp wont start.. only clicks

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I turn the ignition and I only hear a click maybe from starter. I bypassed the solenoid and it turns over. I used 2 different ignitions with 2 different main wire harness. Same thing .. I cleaned all battery connections and charged battery fully. 1 more thing is I dont have gas ,gauges or oil hooked up. I dont know if that would make a difference. I also double checked neutral saftey and it is wired correctly.I also hear a faint hissing sound. Is this from the fuel injection engaging?
Thanks

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 optimax 200hp wont start.. only clicks

Hissing sound you are hearing is the electric fuel pumps cycling. Sounds like you need a starter solenoid. I'm assuming that where you have a few items not hooked up, that the wiring from the neutral safety switch to the key switch harness is connected.

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hissing sound you are hearing is the electric fuel pumps cycling. Sounds like you need a starter solenoid. I'm assuming that where you have a few items not hooked up, that the wiring from the neutral safety switch to the key switch harness is connected.

Nuetral saftey is hooked up correct because when I put shifter in gear there is no click when I turn the key, only when in neutral I hear a click.. When I bought the motor last week it started fine on the boat it came from but I do know between then and now the solenoid could of taken a dump but I wasn't sure if there are any sensors for oil or fuel that would cause the motor not to crank

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Solenoids are great like that. Usually they like to take a dump after drifting over your favorite fishing spot, when it's time to restart.

j_martin

Admiral

Solenoids are great like that. Usually they like to take a dump after drifting over your favorite fishing spot, when it's time to restart.

The one engineering law that they adhere to is Murphy's Law.

Easy to test. With a heavy piece of wire, jump across the heavy terminals. If the engine turns, replace the solenoid. If it doesn't replace the starter. That assumes you have 12V at one of those terminals, and get a pretty good spark when you jump it.

hope it helps
John

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you would like a less eventful silonoid jump, most auto parts stores will have a remote starter trigger that you hook from the battery to the starter. It closes the circut when you pull the trigger. It's only about 10 dollars too. Then you can let your motor crank over without all the sparks.

robaloroger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I jumped the solenoid and did not get anything.. yellow/red wire. I hit the wire under the starter and it cranks. The wire that goes from the solenoid is not the same wire that will crank the motor.