Magic grinder wheel.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have a preferred way to rapidly remove fiberglass.

I'm redoing my deck and changing the floorplan a little . I'm just using a 4" grinder with a standard wheel; is there anything better for this job?

turfman

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Magic grinder wheel.

sanding wheel on it with 36 grit paper. good mask, goggles, longsleeves. air compressor to blow the dust off you and the goggles.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what you mean by standard wheel, but 36 grit discs work well.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I was going to ask what a standard wheel was as there is hundreds of different grinding wheels. I use a metal cutting wheel to cut through wood and thick glass that i want to just cut through to remove large chunks. I have been using 36 grit sanding wheels for heavy removal and 60 grit disks when i get to the bare hull under the floor. You have to be careful with the sanding disks as they cut very fast and you might not realise that you are pretty deep in!

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone have a preferred way to rapidly remove fiberglass.

I'm redoing my deck and changing the floorplan a little . I'm just using a 4" grinder with a standard wheel; is there anything better for this job?

turfman

hello, if u can get a helper, run a strong vacuum cleaner as u grind and sand aiming the discharge into vac's suction. works swell.

i once had central air installed in a house that had none. the installer came to me and said now we are ready to cut the ceiling for the vents. i am sorry, he said, but there is going to be quite a bit of dust.

oh no there is not, i said. i have it all figgrd out.:D we will work as a team. u drill thru first. tap area to drill, i will put my 6hp vac up to ceiling to catch the dust from drilling. then i will know just where u will cut hole. then when u get ready to saw hole, i will have vac set to suck the dust...

he had never done it that way before.

anyway, to make a long story short... it worked perfectly! and the dust in house was minimal and no issue. i was determined not to loose to the dust... ;)

and wear a mask & googles, too. a respirator is best.

regards
lakester :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drew, glad to hear you like the disc.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Standard meaning a regular metal grinding wheel.

The sanding disks you mention; are these on a orbital or pneumatic sander.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You can get a backing pad and 36 grit discs for your current set up, any tool supply or auto body supply store will have them.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the set up and I have to thank you guys very much. I worked for around 6hrs last night and got about 3/4 of the way done on my 18ft cc.

One thing I would recomend. I was using tyvex full suits, with hood and booties , nitrile gloves under Jersey gloves,and a freshair resporator from my shop used for painting. Not one itchy inch on my body.

I realize most people don't have access to that type of respirator, but everything else is easily had.

thanks again guys

Robj

Lieutenant

I like the 24 grit discs on my grinder. I do not think you need to use a 60 grit disc for finishing, I would just use my 24 or 36 grit disc. You want the surface to be a little rough to give the new glass something to bite into so you get a good mechanical bond. I think the 60 grit is too fine for this.

Have a great day,

Rob.