Water tube came out when servicing the lower unit

hellat71

Cadet
Tuning up and fixing up an old 1984 chrysler 115. The lower unit was not serviced in a long time im guessing 4 years. I struggled but got the lower unit off the Int. housing and came across 2 problems...

1. the water tube was frozen to the plastic peice on the water pump, and completly came out with the lower unit/water pump. do i have to take the entire bottom block off to get at this and fix it?

2. the sealing ring, spacer, and ruber collar did not fall out with the driveshaft, I looked up there and it doesnt look like I can get at it unless i should shove something up there to try and know it loose or something like that.

any advice would be helpful, first time fixing up motors and enjoying it.

Thanks. TH

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water tube came out when servicing the lower unit

Hey T.H. Post a couple of pics of the tube.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water tube came out when servicing the lower unit

The end of the water tube is flared a bit and held in a rubber grommet inside an aluminum housing at the top of the midleg. As such, it will be difficult to get back in. I have not yet had this problem happen to me. However, my first try would be to remove a bit of the flare and try shoving it back in with a bit of lubricant.

There is a chance that this will cause cooling problems though, especially if the tube rides up into the match plate.

SO: The second and much more time consuming way would be to remove the engine block and match plate, examine the rubber grommet to see that it is still intact, and replace the tube from above the midleg. Yeah, I know---BIG P.I.A. for such a minor thing. But that's the way it is: Everything fights you.

Surprised that the seal and collar did not fall out. There is nothing up there to harm. Reach up with a dowel and work it out (if it is really there).