Transducer Mounting Question

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So I've read through the manual, gone through the equipment, and I think I'm ready to install this thing. Based on the "fins" on the bottom of my hull, there are two places where I can mount this transducer. Spot B is just about 15" from the motor (what they recommend for a minimum) and it's very close to the speedometer. Spot A is further away from everything, but I worry that it's too far out, and could catch on a rope, or maybe be in the way if I hook a trailer strap to the hook. Give me your thoughts on this...

transducer.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Transducer Mounting Question

I would go with the B spot, the pitot is in front of the transducer so it shouldn't mess with it.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Mount the transducer in the optimum location and move the pitot tube if required. To avoid drilling excessive and unnecessary holes into your transom, screw the the transducer bracket to a small plate which is fastened to the transom with adhesive. If you move the pitot tube, do the same with it, perhaps using one plate for both.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The fact that the pitot is in front of the transducer is a good reason NOT to mount it at "B". Turbulence is what must be avoided when mounting a transducer. If you are worried about rope snags, it will be just as much of a problem in either location. You MUST avoid aerated water with a transducer so of the two positions, "A" is best. Otherwise move the pitot. You can even check the engine to see if it has a built-in pitot.

l008com

SO...

I mounted it in the B spot. I used the guides that came in the box, to get the unit mounted exactly the right distance from the water and at the correct angle. It looks pretty good. In fact, here I'll attach an image.

img0163c.jpg

Now I haven't gotten around to hooking up all the electronics yet, so I can't discuss the performance. But I can tell you that this thing throws up a TON of water. Seriously, too much water is coming up. The oil window on my motor is long since gone, and I was actually getting nervous with that much water getting splashed up into the engine. It was a huge spray. What did I do wrong (besides make a mess with my 5200) ?? I know this post kind of calls for a site view so you can get a better look at it, I'll try to take a picture like that tomorrow and post it. Hopefully this weekend I can get all the electronics hooked up. Unfortunately it looks like I probably will have to remount the transducer. That sucks. Too many holes in my little boat.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

It appears that the transducer is mounted too low (a side view would be helpful) and that a better location would have been where the pitot tube is mounted. If your transducer has a paddlewheel for speed, I would think you would be best served by eliminating the pitot tube altogether and placing the transducer in its place. Perhaps you can adjust the mounting bracket to raise the transducer. If not, just keep drilling.

sasto

Captain

It appears that the transducer is mounted too low (a side view would be helpful) and that a better location would have been where the pitot tube is mounted. If your transducer has a paddlewheel for speed, I would think you would be best served by eliminating the pitot tube altogether and placing the transducer in its place. Perhaps you can adjust the mounting bracket to raise the transducer. If not, just keep drilling.

Could not agree with you more, Pez.

NYBo

Admiral

Looks like a standard Humminbird transducer, which kicks out a standard Humminbird rooster tail. There is aparrently a fix available from Humminbird in the form of a rubber plug that goes between the transducer and the transom part of the mount.

l008com

Here's the pics. From some angles it looks way too low, but from straight on, it looks pretty well lined up. :-/

img0180ps.jpg

img0181gu.jpg

img0182h.jpg

img0183m.jpg

img0184wj.jpg

img0185qz.jpg

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could try mounting the transducer inside the boat. Fill the bilge with enough water to "seal" the bottom of the transducer to the inside of the hull (the transducer doesn't work if there are air bubbles) and use something heavy to hold it in place. Try different placements. Once you've found an ideal spot (and if it gives you the same readings as it does now) dry the hull and use two-part slow cure epoxy to permanently mount it. The key is to have no air bubbles in the epoxy or the hull.

l008com

Everything I read and everyone I talked to said that you get better readings mounting it out back. I was originally going to put it in the bilge but I read enough "there may be issues going through the fiberglass" to mount it externally instead :-/

MM3Canuck

Cadet

I have yet to install my Humminbird.

So the question is, is "008com" transducer in the right location?
I was under the impression that it should not go under the hull?

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a seam around the edge of the transducer that split it. That seam is supposed to be even with the hull like shown in the picture 4 in the above post.

MM3Canuck

Cadet

There is a seam around the edge of the transducer that split it. That seam is supposed to be even with the hull like shown in the picture 4 in the above post.

Okay, so his position is right on then?

MM3Canuck

Cadet

I guess after you have read all the posts you found what you wanted to hear.

What is that supposed to mean? "wanted to hear" (it feels like the hostility you would get on a car forum)

I simply asked if that was correct, as the thread was not clear to me.
And nobody clearly said, ""YES", that is the way it should be mounted", etc.

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

The instructions say to mount it that way.

l008com

But my boat is a V hull, so the bottom edge isn't level. And you can't mount these things crooked right, cause it will be measuring the wrong distance?

sasto

Captain

What is that supposed to mean? "wanted to hear" (it feels like the hostility you would get on a car forum)

I simply asked if that was correct, as the thread was not clear to me.
And nobody clearly said, ""YES", that is the way it should be mounted", etc.

I apologize, MM3Canuck.....wrong statement, to the wrong person, at the wrong time....

insanity

Petty Officer 1st Class

But my boat is a V hull, so the bottom edge isn't level. And you can't mount these things crooked right, cause it will be measuring the wrong distance?

The outer seam of the transducer will not line up on a V hull. line it up with the inner seam.

[edit] You have it mounted right, but the stern of it may need to come up a notch or two.