Table Rock Lake SNAKES !

Billfo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone real famliar with Table Rock Lake in Missouri ? We will be stayin at a lakeside home with its own dock. I have been warned about 2 types of Pit Vipors that are common in that area.. Cottonmouth (black watermoccasans) and Copperheads.. Both are poisionous. Anyone know how often one could encounter these snakes ? Apparently Copperhead (unlike most snakes) dont run off if you leave them alone. They strike at out as soon as your within reach. Usually before you even see them. :eek:

All this is bringing back my childhood snakephobias......

AaronR

Seaman
Re: Table Rock Lake SNAKES !

Neither will kill you as long as you get treatment if you are bitten. I have killed many copperheads, don't try it, but they usually don't strike at you. If you come within striking distance they may feel provoked and think they need to protect themselves but you have to be very close to them, they can only strike about 2/3 their total length.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd suggest a little more education.

Figure out where they like to live, what they like to eat, if they like it hot or cold ect. When you're out there, be aware of these places and approach them cautiously.

Ex.: I hate bees, wasps really. I learned where I might find them and treat those areas with respect.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Anyone real famliar with Table Rock Lake in Missouri ? We will be stayin at a lakeside home with its own dock. I have been warned about 2 types of Pit Vipors that are common in that area.. Cottonmouth (black watermoccasans) and Copperheads.. Both are poisionous. Anyone know how often one could encounter these snakes ? Apparently Copperhead (unlike most snakes) dont run off if you leave them alone. They strike at out as soon as your within reach. Usually before you even see them. :eek:

All this is bringing back my childhood snakephobias......

You have that backwards. The water moccasin is more aggressive than a copperhead. Neither one is actively going out to hunt humans for dinner.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK snakes 101 ... they will only strike if they feel threatened or mistake you for food . Most will retreat and try to avoid human contact , If you see one and it starts to move just give it room to get away and it will . The Copperhead however relies on camouflage to hide and will not move unless it has to but it will not strike unless you step on it or within a few inches of it . They also tend to hide in moist shaded areas and when they are out "sunning" they are easy to spot . The water moccasin will tend to hold it's ground and get defensive if you "surprise" it . Simply back away and avoid it , once a snake takes a defensive posture it will stay that way until the threat leaves. Most people get bit by stepping on one or going in for a closer look (real dumb idea). Just avoid any area that your mind tells you " there could be a snake hiding there" and you will be fine .

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Very few people get bit by snakes that weren't messing with the snake. I've been around lots of poisonous snakes, some of the worst in the world and NONE of them went out of their way to try and bite me and that includes all those "aggressive" species. I did have one copperhead that really seemed interested in biting me, but then I interupted her lovemaking, by poking her and her boyfriend with a stick, so I didn't hold that against her. I have nearly stepped on a number of the "aggressive" cottonmouths and they all just tried to be invisible. In fact they did a test with cottonmouths where they picked them up with a simulated human arm and even then, only 70% bit and only 30% injected venom. Way way more people get killed by bees, wasps and hornets than by snakes.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check with MO DNR and ask about snake bites and recent ones.... that will quell your angst ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I really feel sorry for folk with snake phobias.

I ran around in snake "infested" places all of my youth, often bare of foot. Saw plenty of harmless snakes and was only bitten by one cottonmouth that I didn't see. I stepped on it and it hit me in the shin where there is only a little skin over the bone. Danged uncomfortable for a few days but not life threatening.

Snake phobics warned me that The Hideout is rattler and copperhead country. Been here 20 years and have seen maybe 3 or 4 copperheads and zero rattlers. I did not molest them. I have seen plenty of harmless snakes, but so what?

My point? Walking around in "snake country" barefoot, staring at the clouds, you are more likely to step on a rusty nail and get blood poisoning than get bitten by a poisonous snake.

Wear jeans and boots and watch where you step. You will be fine.

JimmyKoKo

Cadet

I live on Table Rock Lake and have seen several snakes this year. None have had any interest in me. They leave me alone & I leave them alone.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Like others have said - be very aware of your surroundings.

Stay out of areas with leaf litter; i.e. the woods. Keep to established trails/paths and walk with a scuff to make noise. Copperheads are darn near invisible in dried leaves due it's coloring.

Both like to sun themselves on rocks and rock outcropping; keep an eye out.

Moccasins love to be in overhanging tree branches close the water. Just keep out from under them.

Although rare, Missouri also has pygmy rattlers, but I have seen diamond backs. But then, you may not of wanted to know this.

[OBC]Patch

Seaman Apprentice

It doesnt hurt to preplan; do you have the address of where you are written down and in your wallet? Do you know the way to the local hospital? Will your cell phone dial a, "local" 911 call?

bigdee

Commander

I agree with JB. Moccasins are not aggressive, you usually have to step on them to get bit. The copperhead is the sneaky one you have to watch out for but they are only mildly poisonous. Most snakes have no interest in humans (we are too big to eat) so they leave us alone.

ezbtr

Commander

I fished there a number of times, back when I used to travel lots for work, scared the absolute hell outta me when I was fishing right by a boat launch, bout stepped on him!!! Saw lots swimming around all day. I HATE snakes!!