Hello! 1976 6 HP Evi won't troll

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hello! 1976 6 HP Evi won't troll

Carb seems very clean. He must have put a kit in it. The gaskets are very pliable and fresh feeling. Could the core plug be dirty with everything else seemingly clean?
Here are what should be the top and bottom adjustments on the carb. The bottom has one and if the top behind the needle is supposed to have one, well, it does not.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Ok- 1st off there shouldn't be ANY silicone in a carb, first issue. I can see it in the pic of the carb, white silicone down inside that passage, it has to come out. Here's what I do to remove the plug. I pull the float and needle out of the carb, I open my vise to where the carb sits in and I GENTLY clamp the carb in. I then grab a sharp punch, drive it lightly through the plug and pry it out, you should now see the air holes that go into the carb body, hammer the punch in too far and you go through the carb, it's a finesse thing.
Once you pull out that plug you reveal the idle holes. That's all a idle needle does, it allows air into the mixture.

2nd - the needle should have a pointed tip , sharp, I think the pic posted is of the other end of the needle. There should also be packing washers that go into that idle hole, I don't see them, they might be on the needle. They come in the kit, they are very important to seal the needle in place.

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

post 19! Sorry and there is no pointed tip on either end. Where is it? Could it be broke in the carb? It looks rounded like it was supposed to be that way.
Click on picture for larger view.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The needles for idle always have a tip, all carbs that's i've ever worked on, that's how they fine tune the moving air. If yours has no tip plan on buying a new needle, part number 313240.

Look at the diagram, that's what the idle needle should look like:

6hpcarb.jpg

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Ok- 1st off there shouldn't be ANY silicone in a carb, first issue. I can see it in the pic of the carb, white silicone down inside that passage, it has to come out. Here's what I do to remove the plug. I pull the float and needle out of the carb, I open my vise to where the carb sits in and I GENTLY clamp the carb in. I then grab a sharp punch, drive it lightly through the plug and pry it out, you should now see the air holes that go into the carb body, hammer the punch in too far and you go through the carb, it's a finesse thing.
Once you pull out that plug you reveal the idle holes. That's all a idle needle does, it allows air into the mixture.

2nd - the needle should have a pointed tip , sharp, I think the pic posted is of the other end of the needle. There should also be packing washers that go into that idle hole, I don't see them, they might be on the needle. They come in the kit, they are very important to seal the needle in place.

Dude....BeTheKing is right.....the slow idle needle hole and passage way is full crap...???? silicone. Be careful when you take the stuff out so you don't damage the threads on the inside. Usually at a pharmacy store....like CVS or walmart or wal greens you can buy a dental tooth/gum line scraper like at the dentist to gently remove that crap.(just a suggestion because I don't see what would dissolve and clean the silicone.):confused:

No wonder that motor ran like crap.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That needle is broken and the tip is missing, some "genius" decided to fix it with silicone. Get the proper needle with the part number I posted, clean up the carb. Install the needle and lightly seat. Back it off a turn and a half and go from there. The nut to hold the needle need to be snug but not TIGHT, you want the needle to move but not under engine vibration. Install the new welch plug convex side up, tape in flat with a 3/8 inch extension and a hammer and seal it with clean nail polish and go enjoy your motor. As for your mechanic, fire his dumb *** :D

Unless of course it's a crazy uncle, then you just feed him beer and tell him he's a dumb *** when he's to the point he can't see.

On a side note- Kinda funny story. My stepdad's computer was too slow so I got him a newer computer. He asks me to transfer the data so I did. Then he calls me last night complaining that he has no surround sound. So I told him, dude you never asked me to move the sound card over, I had no idea you had surround sound- I guess I'll do it the next time i'm over. I call my mom today and ask her what that was all about, I had no idea my step dad has 5.1 surround sound in his computer room. My mom then tells me he only has 2 speakers......duhhhh stupid is as stupid does forrest LOL

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

Yes we all get into those kind of stories. The silicone is on top of the welch plug as you called it. Is there anything that should unscrew inside the low side after removing the needle valve?

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

Just to update, the silicone is on top of the carb as shown , not in the low side jet. Still, the needle valve does not look right?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It may be in the top but I can see white in the hole for the needle valve, for all I know the tip of needle is still in there. You should be able to see light at the end of that tunnel, if not, you need to get the broken part out. If it's clear then just get a new idle needle.

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

I am thinking the tip is still in there. Stumped how to attempt getting that dude out.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Once you get the welch plug out you will gain access to where the hole for that needle is. An angled dental pick (metal) should poke it out back down out the front of the carb or you could try tapping it on a piece of wood.

ousooners1baby

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I have it out and can see daylight through it now. I can not see anything stuck in the low speed valve hole though.
should I purchase 16, 34 c, and 15 of the exploded view on the carb.

AlTn

Commander

you'll need 15....34C?...if 34 <washer>..probably...16 <packing> will come with the carb kit, if you order OMC kit ,it'll include the float as well...if other kit, you'll have to order the float separately...all said and done..I'd go with the factory kit if your float needs replacing

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That's good news, get yourself a full OMC carb kit and a low speed needle.