1984 Starcraft Islander Restoration

Triton II

Commander
Re: 1984 Starcraft Islander Restoration

Great to see the old dear getting wet... and 24 mph on a 70 in a 19ft cabin boat is pretty good so you're probably on the money with your prop. Congratulations on the splash, enjoy the rest of your summer! Cheers,

TII

SC's Forever!

Seaman Apprentice

Beauticul boat and work!!!!! That 70 HP is a workhourse of a motor.probably THE best motor OMC ever made! Check it out w/ a prop 2" less pitch (maybe even 4"-depending on whats on there now) and see the difference!! A 13" or even 11" pitch should make a tremendous difference, especially if the prop on there is a 17" pitch or higher!!!! Some dealers have a "borrowing" policy where they will "loan" you a prop to determine exactly what you need....Also, an SST prop will definitely give you better performance than any aluminum. At slower RPM's, it will act like a lower pitch prop, then because of the "Cupped" edges, it basically gives you the performance of a prop 2" higher pitch!! More expensive than aluminum, but can often be found used at some marine dealers or prop repair shops......Much better performance too, as well as probably the ONLY prop you will ever need to buy!!! Depends on your
"boatsmanship" though!!!
Best of Luck.......Jim

bookemz

Recruit

In the process of rebuilding a 1984 Starcraft islander that has been sitting uncovered in the puker brush for a few years.

Finding a bunch of great info on these forum's so I going to return the favor and post some pictures of the process and some notes.

Starting point
Looks to be a camper model, has all the poles for the full camper canvas but missing the canvas, propane heater built into the passenger box seat. Stainless steel grill with mount on the side.

Hull looks to be in good shape from the outside, has been repainted, lots of mold on the gunnels and cabin from standing water.

Carpet/wood trim is all hard core molded, carpet so bad that small plants have rooted into it in places.

Transom is dry rotted, trailer needs lights and wiring.

I've progressed beyone the rip and tear stage and am rebuilding, will try to post some pics and notes of the progress up to this point.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You and I have alot in common you also have an islander my boat is a twin to yours except 1 year older mine too sat uncovered for ten years. In 2000 I was paid to paint this boat at that time I dreamt of owning it the owner picked it up & took it out one time and parked it he then married into a 40' with a slip in Santa Cruz. After 10 years elecrolosis ate a hole in the outdrive and pretty much everything that happened to your boat. The owner got hold of me and offered it to me along with another outdrive if I could haul it away that day. I,ll try and send some pictures I am new to this computer stuff. I have since done almost everything the boat only had 326 hours of use I redid the floors and wrapped them in fiberglass all my teak was badly sun beaten but I got it all to come back beautifully so I,m sure yours will to I also have an extra Bimini top you may be interested in. The hull of my boat is like new and I have upgraded everything from the motor cover to Ive got to find my camera I can,t believe how much alike my boat was to yours when I started. Thanks for the post I'll get some pics soon.

Re: 1984 Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Bob:

I am just starting deck rebuild on my own 1984 Starcraft Islander 221. I was planning on using pressure treated 1/2" plywood. Looks like deck is 1/2 plywood already. Why do you say not to use pressure treated? What would you recommend?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bob:

I am just starting deck rebuild on my own 1984 Starcraft Islander 221. I was planning on using pressure treated 1/2" plywood. Looks like deck is 1/2 plywood already. Why do you say not to use pressure treated? What would you recommend?

Hey welcome Mc! MI guy with an Islander, even better!

This is kind of an old thread so I'll answer for him...

PT eats aluminum. Most guys seal up exterior grade plywood with epoxy for decks.

Start up a thread of your own, we'd love to check out your project.

Cheers!

labargep

Recruit

I could use some feedback on what people have done for seats if anyone has some good idea's.

Kinda would like two captins chairs in the front, but i would also like enough seating for 3 kids + a friend or two in the back.

Wonderin what would be the best way to accomplish this without cramping up the deck space.

I just bought a 1984 Starcraft that's been stored indoors all it's life. I can send you pictures of any details you need. I have the two captains chairs. The pilot seat is shorter than the other.

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2