Another question!

So, I've posted before, and we've decided to buy a new boat rather than a new one. First time boaters. We like the Tahoe Q6 SF, which has the fishing package. We are looking at a 2007 - it's new though. Options on the boat are:
5.0L Engine 220 HP Upgrade
Bimini Top with stainless steel fittings
Stereo remote on swim platform
In dash depth finder
In dash compass
Trailer Brake upgrade on second axle
Bow filler cushion
Lowrance X-47 Fish Finder mounted on Bow to use while you are using the trolling motor.
Guest 2 bank 5 amp battery charger to charge the two batteries that come with the boat.
Price is $24,400.

Good deal? Any opinions? Thanks again for all your help.:D

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Another question!

Look at other brands to get a idea whats out there and compare prices. JMHO:D

We have, and we kind of like this one. But we know that we still have a lot to learn. Any opinions on this boat in particular? :)

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

In todays market you should be able to haggle that price down some. Especially since its a 2007 leftover. There is nothing wrong with that for the buyer(you), but for the seller(dealer), he should be looking to unload that boat just because the longer he keeps it there the more of the value it looses. You should be able to get a really good deal on something that is a new 2007 leftover. That is just my opinion. Let us know how it works out. I think its a nice boat though!

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went to the boat show in Greensboro NC 2 weeks ago and a Stingray dealer offered me a 195FX (fish and ski) for 15K and even offered to upgrade the seats.

With current economic times I think you could steal a boat with a bit of shopping around.

Yeah, they will only come down $500 to the $24,400. We were thinking of offering them $22K, take it or leave it. Nobody is dealing, and that really surprises us. If it were a car they'd be begging us to take it!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

being a new boat is nice. but new or not, it is a 2 year old boat. if the original price was $30,000, 1st year depreciation 20% value, 24,000 2nd year depreciation 15%, value or a 2 year old boat 19,500. the dealer does not want to negotiate, as he has been paying interest of that boat for 2 years, he wants his money back. but it does not make sense, as the value of the boat goes down, and he has to keep paying interest on his Floor Plan loan. i don't understand dealers. they need to cut their losses and sell a boat.

i have no idea of blue book on it. as i can't find Tahoe listed on NADA Boats.

CATransplant

Admiral

I agree with Tashasdaddy. Offer the dealer $20,000 out the door. He'll say no. Give him your phone number and walk out of the place, get in your car and go home. Odds are he'll call you later. If not, go visit other dealers.

Don't bargain any more with this guy. Make your offer and leave. Let him think about paying more interest on his floor plan.

CATransplant and Tashasdaddy, we are of like minds! Just before I looked back here, I emailed my husband and said "let's offer him $20K. Cash. Take it or leave it!" Have to see what hubby thinks.

mthieme

Captain

I've found another asking $26,600.
BassPro sells this for $22K w/o the upgrades.
I think the same way....I would have made an offer and left it at that.

CATransplant

Admiral

One other thing: Are you talking to a salesman or the owner of the place? If it's a salesman, email the owner or talk to him on the phone and make your flat offer for the boat out the door. Make sure to give him your phone number.

Bypass the commissioned help, if possible.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What is the weight of the boat and engine combined (you will have to add weight for the trailer, gear, etc)? I believe that is going to be too heavy for both of your tow vehicles. When I looked I could find no V8 that was comfortably below the 3500 tow ratings such that when gassed up and loaded you could tow it with a Honda Odyssey.

Don't trust the dealer on this info, find it in writing. They will tell you it will be fine because they want the sale and once you tow it away, its your problem.

Also, you need brakes on the trailer!!!!!

That, or you need to buy this boat and also turn right around and get a new tow vehicle.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, I re-read that there will be trailer brakes on the second axle -- clearly indicating that you will have a dual axle trailer. This means the total rig is going to weigh even more.

This confirms it: There is no way you can tow this boat with your Honda Odyssey.

I don't know the Escape's tow rating, but I highly doubt it will tow it either.

It does not matter how close you are to the launch ramp either. It does matter how steep the launch ramp is. Trailer brakes will not help hold a trailer onto the ramp, just help it slow down.

Our best friend (of 30 years) who has an auto dealer's license has a truck that will tow 6000 pounds. He and his wife have a place in the same association we do. We will use his truck to tow it until we buy something of our own. He can throw dealer plates on it whenever we need it. We will be looking for a truck that can tow the boat.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great! Then, sounds wonderful, I hope you really enjoy it. I just got a little panicked you all were going to try and use the Odyssey for that boat.

Thanks for picking up on that! I can't believe you even remembered. This is such a great forum. You all have been so helpful. Will keep you posted on the boat hunt! :D

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I saw a Odyssey pulling a 2 axle camper that weighed 4300 dry at a campground one time. It was at a check in station and the folks were in the office checking in and i was looking at the rig and wished i got a picture. It was a old wilderness camper that not only had a sticker with the 4300 dry weight but it had stuff packed inside of it too. I could see coolers and bikes and everything else inside the camper. You could smell the brakes ten min after the owners went into the office. You could hear the "tick-tick-tick" of the break parts cooling and the transmission fluid boiling. 4300 dry but it had A LOT of stuff in there as well. I know that it had to be unsafe pulling that thing and they were from 3 states away-10 hours at least.