GRRRR!!! dont know if its timing or carb or...?????

crestflite165

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys i got that 73 glastron with the 165 hp(GM 250(3.7L) inline 6) got it running awesome...well sorta. heres what ive done since i got it(sat at LEAST 4 years) NEW:points,condenser,cap,rotor,wires,coil,fuel filter,carb kit and some other stuff not pertaining to the boat. got it going idling bout 475 rpm,points set at .016" and timing at 6 BTDC.:mad: now....if i lean into the throttle it gets up and goes,no hesitation. but from idle to full throttle, it coughs out of the carb and stalls.....but if i back off an pump it itll go. no clue what it is. it has a rochester 2 cg 2 barrel carb. im lost...dont know anything about 2 bar carbs. anyone out there that can help?

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Re: GRRRR!!! dont know if its timing or carb or...?????

Have you set the dwell angle ?

Also since boat has sat around check your fly weight's under the points plate that they are working and not sticking or have broken springs.

crestflite165

Seaman Apprentice

isnt the dwell angle the same as setting the points? dumb question but ive never done it before. i have a dwell meter somwhere. how do i hook it up and how do i work it? and i did check the wieghts. they had i rusty imprint undrneath where they sat but they do work by hand. thats what i thought it was too but they do move freely.this thing is pissin me off.im only 25. should i try to see if i can find an "old timer"(no disrespect)to maybe figure this out?

crestflite165

Seaman Apprentice

i have seen these "electronic" ignitions on ebay. it pretty much turns the normal "points" type ignition into electronic systems so you never have to replace points. is this somthing i would have to worry about on a marine application? or should i get rid of this $350 boat and buy a $2000+ boat?

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Honestly there is nothing wrong with a points set up, you just have to ensure its all tunes to specifications along with the dwell angle.

crestflite165

Seaman Apprentice

so if set the points to where they should be(highest point on dist. cam) the dwell could make that much of a diffrence? thanks guys for your help, i will TRY (if i have the time,damn i need a vacation!!) to set dwell tomarrow. let you know if it works!!!

woosterken

Lieutenant

crest,
at the top of this forum is a topic sticky titled "adults only" no its not what you think :)
click onit and scroll down to #s 16, 17 , 18
read those, you will know as much as the old guys :) and when you do thank mr.Don s for all that valuable info.

woosterken

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are just slamming the throttle open, you are going lean and this is pretty normal. The carb does have an accelerator pump that helps you out when you have this lean condition but it just usually isn't enough. Can't tell from your post but it sounds like if you smootly open up the throttle you are ok?

As far as dwell is concerned, it is best to set with a dwell meter instead of relying on gap. Once you set the dwell, you then adjust the timing. You should try to determine that your distributor is giving you full advance. Not sure what that should be for your engine but I am sure you will find it in the service manual. it will list the advance relative to your initial setting for every 1000 RPM.

crestflite165

Seaman Apprentice

thanks guys!! ill go out and try those things in a lil bit and ill get back to ya. also if you manually push on accel pump shouldnt you see or hear a shot of fuel going into the throat? mine doesnt, and i just rebuilt the carb.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Yes you should see fuel squirting. That may be your problem...

crestflite165

Seaman Apprentice

ok i got the dwell set at 32 degrees engine timed at 6 btdc and stuff. it got better but not quite right. there is no fuel spraying out when hittin the accel pump. i blew air in em when i rebuilt. maybe not good enough?

jagilbert

Seaman Apprentice

I hear ya.

I just rebuilt my carb and my accel pump still doesn't work. If I manually crank the throttle really fast I can see it squirt a little, but normal operation of the throttle doesn't pump at all. This all results in some pretty comical flailing from the skier as I try to coax the engine not to die as I advance the throttle coming out of the hole.
Someone said something about needing to soak the accel pump skirt in hot water before installing it. The instructions that came with my carb kit didn't say anything about that. I would think that would only be necessary for leather gaskets... Has anyone heard of this?

re: point gap vs dwell. You are correct - they are the same thing. Measuring dwell is just a much more accurate way to do it than measuring the gap.

re electronic "points": I just put them on my merc 140 and I think they made a big difference. Here's why: My distributor shaft wobbles a lot. This caused the dwell vary all over the place. (you can imagine as the shaft wobbles one way it pushes the gap really wide, and when it wobbles the other way, the points hardly open at all) Anyway, the electronic dodad isn't nearly as sensitive to that wobble and now the dwell stays nice and steady.

This is the one I got: http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx

Just my two cents.
Good Luck

fishrdan

Admiral

also if you manually push on accel pump shouldnt you see or hear a shot of fuel going into the throat?

mine doesnt, and i just rebuilt the carb.

Yup, sounds like you need to take the carb apart again and check out the accelerator pump. Did you put the check ball in the accelerator pump's bore, it drops in the bottom of the hole/well/cavity. If the check ball is not in there the accel pump can push the fuel back into the fuel bowl, instead of out of the nozzels.

If the check ball is stuck, it's just as bad as not having one as the fuel won't be able to get into the accel pump. One of the guys here had a stuck accel pump check ball and went through all sorts of grief getting it out....