The Honda Civic of ski boats?

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: The Honda Civic of ski boats?

I just bought a 2003 Glastron in May and I love it. It cost me $6500 which was $500 over my maximum but a great deal in comparison. (1997's in much worse shape were going for the same price).

I wanted the 4.3l but since I don't have it I don't miss it. The 3.0l Mercruiser is going to be around for a long time so you don't need to worry about discontinued parts.

I've had 8 people on the boat, it gets crowded but usually I only have 4 people and that's perfect. It tows skiiers and tubers just fine with 4 people in it. I'm not sure if I would do it with 8...just seems like a waste of gas to me. I thought I would do a lot of skiing and tubing but I am still exploring all the lakes in MN and really just doing a lot of cruising and tanning.

I would recommend this as a first boat to anyone who wants something economical.

Make sure these people let you test drive the boat in the water before you buy. If they aren't willing to do that there's probably something wrong with the boat.

ib656

Seaman Apprentice

for a solid i/o check for a v6 mercruiser (190 hp) is a good motor w/ enough grunt to do what you want and many techs able to work on and get parts easy. the 130 hp will eventually be too small....just look at craigslist and you will see tons for sale bc while fine for cruising around they do not have enough power over all (imho). If you feel the 3.0 is ok for you you can make out GREAT!

For under 10k look for a late 90's / early 2000 open bow 18 - 20 ft that looks like it has been cared for....If the seats, canvas and carpet look like crap and the bilge is yucko, it tells you something about the owners.

four winns- stingray - sea ray- crownline- glastron and others like these are good solid boats. also check Triumph boats. they make a beauty fish / ski family boat w/ a 150 yamaha ob - my friend has one and except for a problem he had with the fuel cap, the boat is great.

Check craigslist (I have bought 2 boats and sold 1 off there) and see what the local marinas around you are offering for used boats. In these times they are looking to give them away just to move inventory.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe you want to buy something with a Honda outboard, 4 stroke so its kaleefornia legal and its Honda so you know its reliable.

Love the OMC & Edsel comparo, could not have said it better myself.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think we understood you didn't mean literally, but the brand of the boat is less important than the type and brand of drive system along with good maintenance.

This site will help you avoid the pitfalls noted. Many come here after they buy, you have a distinct advantage in coming here first . . . ;)

I agree he has an advantage. This site is now my bible. You can learn anything and everything from the folks on here. I've been to other forums for motorcycles and auto's but they don't compare to iBoats. You will get solutions to your problems (and a few debates as well) but ultimately...iBoats is always right!

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, no "winterizing" in So Cal. Off season layup, yes, but no freeze protection necessary.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok,

Search for a Stingray 190fx or 195fx. 19 foot boat, can hold 8 adult, and typically has a mercury 4.3 v6 (some have a volve v6). Good reliable power plant and outdrive, enough power to ski, nice layout.

My impression of a honda civic is you want a boat all you have to do is put gas into it and it will run. An adapted car motor needs annual winterization and needs much more maintenance on a regular basis than any civic does. An outboard would be closer to a civic.

Go to the Iboats Mercruiser .... I/O section and read about winterization and summerization. Does that sound like the maintenance you would like to do -- if not, you need to give up more of the things you want and get an outboard.

Or you could just pay your marina a nominal fee to do the winterization for you. Kinda like a Tune up. :)

NedM

Cadet

Ok,

Search for a Stingray 190fx or 195fx. 19 foot boat, can hold 8 adult, and typically has a mercury 4.3 v6 (some have a volve v6). Good reliable power plant and outdrive, enough power to ski, nice layout.

My impression of a honda civic is you want a boat all you have to do is put gas into it and it will run. An adapted car motor needs annual winterization and needs much more maintenance on a regular basis than any civic does. An outboard would be closer to a civic.

Go to the Iboats Mercruiser .... I/O section and read about winterization and summerization. Does that sound like the maintenance you would like to do -- if not, you need to give up more of the things you want and get an outboard.

Yes that section lists a lot of maintenance...more then I can do myself for sure. But I assume there would be a boat tech I can bring it to twice a year (once to winterize and then again to summerize) Any idea on what something like that would cost for an I/O engine?

But it sounds like an outboard will still have the things I want. I mean you can ski and fish with an outboard. (I just need to be careful when changing skiers and turn the motor off) And a open bow should seat 8 easy enough. A little Bimini top and I am good to go!

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

An outboard will serve to have the lack of power of a civic, but it won't serve well for skiing.

Buy a used tornament boat. They are fun, easy, roomy, manuverable and dependable.

Here's a boat that is parked around the corner from my house. Looks like a good deal.

CLICK HERE

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Honda Civics are reliable. Used, AND new boats aren't. It's the environment they live in. Buy a boat, used or new, be prepared to get it fixed sooner than later. And the more you can do yourself, the better...

QC

Supreme Mariner

How serious are you about the fishing part?

NedM

Cadet

How serious are you about the fishing part?

Probably do more fishing then skiing to be honest. Maybe 60/40. My son LOVES fishing and so do I.

QC

Supreme Mariner

That is insane!! You need to jump on that bad boy!
Word of caution!!!!! One thing about the scams on Craig's list I have noticed is the pics never have registration numbers ;)

Edit: Also the pics usually look like the wrong part of the country or dissimilar architecture. The pine trees don't look right to me for South Bay . . .

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

BTW, no "winterizing" in So Cal. Off season layup, yes, but no freeze protection necessary.

good point !
...lol :D " It Never Rains In California..........

NedM

Cadet

thats a scam

seems like it and I don't even know anything about boats. maybe its stolen or perhaps run into the rocks or something? I wasn't planning on buying it, not ready to buy anything just yet. I figure a couple more months of research before I feel comfortable enough to bite the bullet. I was just using it as an example of the type of boat I pictured in my head.

I guess I have been thinking of an inboard or I/O motor without knowing it as they just seem like an easier boat to operate and more fun to take skiing. But from what I am reading here, they are also higher maintenance and higher cost. A nice simple outboard motor seems like it would be lower cost and easier to maintain, but maybe not powerful enough to do a lot of skiing??

how about something like this....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/boa/1809794266.html

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

seems like it and I don't even know anything about boats. maybe its stolen or perhaps run into the rocks or something? I wasn't planning on buying it, not ready to buy anything just yet. I figure a couple more months of research before I feel comfortable enough to bite the bullet. I was just using it as an example of the type of boat I pictured in my head.

I guess I have been thinking of an inboard or I/O motor without knowing it as they just seem like an easier boat to operate and more fun to take skiing. But from what I am reading here, they are also higher maintenance and higher cost. A nice simple outboard motor seems like it would be lower cost and easier to maintain, but maybe not powerful enough to do a lot of skiing??

how about something like this....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/boa/1809794266.html

thats a nice boat, but my "cheap" 91 Bayliner Capri looks newer and more up to date than that.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

thats a really old boat for $6500.00.....