replaced rectifier and it still is not charging.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: replaced rectifier and it still is not charging.

Well post 200 and still not fixed. Actually I'm bumping this hoping to get past the huge picture and on to the next page so I don't have to keep scrolling sideways to read it.

#201 did it YEAH!

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the huge picture, I'll resize later...

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well post 200 and still not fixed. Actually I'm bumping this hoping to get past the huge picture and on to the next page so I don't have to keep scrolling sideways to read it.

#201 did it YEAH!

THANK YOUUUUUU ! Lion Hunter

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

sorry wrong thread, delete.

Last edited:

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK Mr Pokertrampp.....the rubber is gonna hit the road...
This is way beyond control at this point.

So, you name the place and time, I will be there with my tools and we will get this engine fixed together. I will drive to your location, and when we get it fixed, I will post what the problem was. PM me with your response. I have plenty of time......any day is good for me.

Your harness is not bad, by the way. (My opinion.)

I pm'd you on 07/21/10 about getting together and have not heard from you. I saw you were on today around 8pm but you did not respond, I didnt know if you missed it or not.

Last edited:

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was at the hospital all weekend, but manage to mess with the boat for a few mins.

I am going to order a new harness, I found that the previous owner had spliced a piece of lamp wire to (to the internal harness side of the plug) the brown wire and ran the lamp cord to the VRO tank, I assume this was for the low oil alarm?? but seeing this make me wonder what else the previous owner may have done.

I am not saying this has anything to do with my problem, I just am unsure what other things have been changed to the electrical system and maybe this is why I am having trouble trouble shooting it.

Should I order a OEM harness or a CDI harness, there is about a $50 price difference so I am wondering why the oem is so much more and is it worth the extra money.

Who knows...

Thanks again!

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ordered a new harness for my motor due to gremlins, i replaced the coils and power pack as well. I figured the coils werent bad but were almost 30 years old. I had 2 so no big deal and i kept the others as spares for on water repairs. The pack was bad and the harness was a spliced rotted mess that needed to be replaced. Anyway i ordered a CDI replacement harness. It was top notch and fit exactly and had original colors that were totally different from the faded originals but were what the factory colors were, i would save the $50 if i was you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Did that harness cure the problem?

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, I have not ordered it yet. I have been at the hospital most of the time, so not much time spent working on it.

I was going to have a friend meet with Daselbee, but he has not responded to any of my PM's.

I did have my friend look at it and he had an extra timer base so he tried it but he said now it wont even start so hes going to put the old one back on.

I am not sure when I personnaly will be able to get back on it, but I hope to have it going by the time my wife is well enough to go on it.

Thanks again!!

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I found a spot on the harness that the insulation had eroded from all the wires so they were all touching each other. This cured part of my running issue but it still has a mis, but I am going to start a new thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2852040#post2852040) as the rectifier issue has been resolved finally!

Thanks again to everyone for the input and advice!!

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I found a spot on the harness that the insulation had eroded from all the wires so they were all touching each other. This cured part of my running issue but it still has a mis, but I am going to start a new thread (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2852040#post2852040) as the rectifier issue has been resolved finally!

Thanks again to everyone for the input and advice!!

Why didn't you do this July 16th when you figured it out by yourself in that post #147 ?

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why didn't you do this July 16th when you figured it out by yourself in that post #147 ?

As I mention in an earlier post the concensus was the problem was not the harness, so I went with that.

There was a problem with the transaction when I ordered the harness, so I canceled the order since everyone seems to agree it is not bad.

I to do not believe the harness is bad.

I dont think the harness is bad either.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The only question I would still ask here is does the voltage reg have a purple or blue wire coming out of it ?

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only question I would still ask here is does the voltage reg have a purple or blue wire coming out of it ?

I am not sure what difference that makes, but it is Purple.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Where do you have it hooked up to ?

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where do you have it hooked up to ?

It is wired just like the attached diagram with the exception that the purple wire coming from the VRO is disconnected.

Attachments

• 1988_89_120_140.jpg
    1988_89_120_140.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Well, then the only other thing I can say about this here problem is that you're having is to turn on the ignition sw and probe the purple wire going to the regulator. If you have 12 volts there you're fine. What the purple wire does is turn on the voltage regulator so it will start charging when running.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, then the only other thing I can say about this here problem is that you're having is to turn on the ignition sw and probe the purple wire going to the regulator. If you have 12 volts there you're fine. What the purple wire does is turn on the voltage regulator so it will start charging when running.

I think you may have misunderstood, the problem with the rectifier has been resolved. The system is charging fine now.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What was the problem ?