replaced rectifier and it still is not charging.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: replaced rectifier and it still is not charging.

I didn't go back an re-read everything, but did you put a timing light on each plug wire to determine if its one plug, or all of them are missing, or to determine whether its an electrical or carb related miss?

I also have a non charging issue on a V4, but no miss, third rectifier. I get intermittent charging and then it stops all together resulting the rectifier being fried.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well this doesnt sound like it is an isolated problem. Strange no body knows the fix.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Just out of curiosity, have you checked for a good rectifier ground? R/R's get fried easily by running with battery terminal connections loose, etc. I think a poor ground might have the same effect.

There's clearly something unusual and not easy to diagnose here going on. If you have a known good stator (you replaced that with new) and the wiring is OK, the R/R is the only other element to the alternator function. Plus you measured the AC voltage from the stator and got a good value.

The running issue is something else completely, since the powerpack is only the ignition system.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just out of curiosity, have you checked for a good rectifier ground? R/R's get fried easily by running with battery terminal connections loose, etc. I think a poor ground might have the same effect.

There's clearly something unusual and not easy to diagnose here going on. If you have a known good stator (you replaced that with new) and the wiring is OK, the R/R is the only other element to the alternator function. Plus you measured the AC voltage from the stator and got a good value.

The running issue is something else completely, since the powerpack is only the ignition system.

how could it not have good ground it is bolted directly to the block by like 6 bolts, I know the power pack is grounded to one of the rectifier bolts. I am going to disconnect the yelloy wires from the stator and see how it runs, I read that the rectifier can mess up the ignition system and to disconnect the yellow stator wires and if it runs better that means the rectifier is bad. I agree something is going on because the new rectifier was not working immediatley after being installed so I do not plan to replace it until I resolve the problem.

i also am going to recheck the timing again.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I disconnected the yellow wires and disconnected the kill wire and still no change in the way it runs.I am at my wits end I truley have no idea what to check next. the only thing I can think of is to remove the entire wire harness and check for any bad spots or something???:mad:

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I disconnected the yellow wires and disconnected the kill wire and still no change in the way it runs.I am at my wits end I truley have no idea what to check next. the only thing I can think of is to remove the entire wire harness and check for any bad spots or something???:mad:

Now your getting smart.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Daselbee made you an excellent offer a short time back. It's time you considered it. Trouble shooting the fuel, ignition, and charging system on that engine isn't that difficult. Something here apparently is left being unsaid, overlooked. The advice that's been given should have had that engine running great. Too bad you're not my next door neighbor.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked the DVA for the coils (again) and this time the stbdside was 150v+ and the port side was 130 or below< the test instructions I was useing said this indicated a bad coil or a bad power pack I do not have the Load Resister to do the test with the coil disconnected. I can tell you that I swapped the coils and the problem did not move, and this is a brand new OEM power pack. I put the old power pack on and the problem was the same. I wish I was you neighbor too :D

daselbee

Commander

Daselbee made you an excellent offer a short time back. It's time you considered it. Trouble shooting the fuel, ignition, and charging system on that engine isn't that difficult. Something here apparently is left being unsaid, overlooked. The advice that's been given should have had that engine running great. Too bad you're not my next door neighbor.

It is a long way, Joe. You are a FL guy; it takes about 3-4 hrs from S. Florida if trailering.
I agree, tho, this should have been fixed many posts ago.
Something very odd going on here with that engine.

I thought once...maybe he has the red rect wire on the wrong side of the starter solenoid....is it possible that if hooked to the starter side, once started and running, the starter windings would pull overcurrent on the new reg/rect, blowing it very soon, but not ever actually engage the starter? You know, not enough current to turn the starter, but too much for the reg/rect to handle....Regardless, the red reg/rect wire should be on the battery side, not the starter side of the solenoid.

Maybe he put the new reg/rect on, hooked to the wrong post, blew the new one, then inadvertently in all his troubleshooting, hooked it back correctly. Now it is a blown new reg/rect, and he is disregarding it because "it just couldn't be bad...it's new..."

I thought you were taking a break from this for a while? Or is that just marineengine.com?

daselbee

Commander

I just went back and verified...it is a 120 V4...I don't have the manual, but I would bet this is a 10 amp stator. If so, ten amps to the starter from the reg/rect is not much for the starter, but huge for the reg/rect. Might consider if you did hook it to the wrong solenoid post, even for a few minutes, that the new reg/rect is bad.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The pack output voltage should be min of 150 volts. The 130 side indicates bad pack, stator charge coil, or stator power coil.

clanton

Rear Admiral

9 amp charging system.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Do you have a model number for the engine. How many sets of brown wires from stator. 1 or 2 ? Any extry wires on pack, when all wires connected?

Did you say magnets in flywheel glued in or cast in?

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe a couple of pictures of everything wired up would show something that jumps out at one of the guys who are real familiar with the engine.

I going down to do the resistance test on my stator as described in this post. I am not charging either, on a 90hp, but I'll either sort it out by reading other posts or start a new one.

iboats is a great sight and I hope you hear it a lot, but THANK YOU to the guys who know their way around getting on and trying to help those of us who don't.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Found the photos in your post. How many magnets in the flywheel? Should be 6.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found the photos in your post. How many magnets in the flywheel? Should be 6.

magnets are cast into the flywheel, they did not seem loose at all.

my wife just went into the hospital so it will be a while before I will be able to work on it again. I will update when I am back on it or if I find the problem. Thanks sooo much for everyones help and advice.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I will be in Immokalee Florida, sometime this summer, not sure when, only about 1 1/2 hour from you. PM and let me know if you get it going, if not I will look at it when I`m down.