champion vs. ngk for omc motors

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
ok ive been asked why i said throw away the ngk,s and get champions for your omc by a member .though i must admit i do not have 100 percent sientific proof i will state that in my very humble opion ive found that to get the best running out of your omc motor,particuarily the older ones that champions seem to work much better.several times ive replaced a customers ill running motors band new ngk,s with champion plugs and the problem has gone away.ok,you might say coincidence,but if i replaced with bran new ngk,s of the proper heat range they went right back to ill running.this has happened time and time again and has nothing to do with any kind of preference on my part as i swear by ngk for my yamaha sled .ive seen in other threads others stating to use champion also so i know im not the only one that has stated this so fire away guys ,do you use or have any reason why you use champion for your omc motors?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: champion vs. ngk for omc motors

OMC makes outboards? :confused:
i would be refering to omc motors not brp.so yes the older ones.1950-2000?or if it makes anybody feel better use johnson /evinrude,lets not split hairs here i dont have that many,lol.

skargo

Banned

Cool, I had no idea they made outboards.

Personally I use NGK EDIT but that's just been my experience with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

For some odd reason..... yes the OMC aka BRP ;) like the champion plugs best. I swear by the NGK's but in my outboard I use champion.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Outboard Marine Corporation made Johnson, Evinrude, Gale and several store branded outboards for many years.

They were all designed to use particular model Champion spark plugs.

NGK, AC and others made/make spark plugs that they advertise as replacements for those Champion plugs.

Some of those actually are identical to the Champion they seek to replace but most are not. Subtle differences may negatively affect performance.

I use only Champion in OMC/BRP outboards and recommend against substitutions.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use what the manufacture recommends:

champions in the OMC outboards
NGKs in the motorcycle

I have used NGKs in the outboards did they work..yes, but the next chance I got to put the champions in I did.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

NGKBR9hs-10 is about the same heat range as the champion QL77jc4.
note the Q and the R.
both are resistor plugs.
the ngk uses a carbon resistor and the champion an inductive restistor.
changes the ringing effect and the EMI.
if you dont belive me break one open and have a look.
thats why its best to install what the manufacturer reccomends and it works.
the -10 simply means its pre-gapped to about 1mm or .039"

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Cool, I had no idea they made outboards.

Personally I use NGK EDIT but that's just been my experience with them.

OMC stands for OUTBOARD Marine Corporation. They are to outboard motors as Henry Ford was to the automobile.

Shizzy

Ensign

my old 6HP Johnny dod NOT like the NGK's I tried to put in it when I first bought it. a set of fresh champions cleared it right up.

skargo

Banned

OMC stands for OUTBOARD Marine Corporation. They are to outboard motors as Henry Ford was to the automobile.

Ya learn something everyday. This is an interesting thread!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Ya learn something everyday. This is an interesting thread!

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

NGKBR9hs-10 is about the same heat range as the champion QL77jc4.
note the Q and the R.
both are resistor plugs.
the ngk uses a carbon resistor and the champion an inductive restistor.
changes the ringing effect and the EMI.
if you dont belive me break one open and have a look.
thats why its best to install what the manufacturer reccomends and it works.
the -10 simply means its pre-gapped to about 1mm or .039"

An NGK 9 is very cold plug, isn't a Champion 77 closer to an NGK 7 ?

I know the number system it totally different.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Proper heat range is only one consideration between spark plug brands.

The biggest difference was touched on by my esteemed colleague Rodbolt. For electronic ignition equipped Johnson and Evinrudes, the Champion Q series plug is needed. It has an inductive resistor that looks like a ball-point pen spring and measures about 40 ohms but stops or impedes the high frequency AC voltage in the system.

The R series NGK plugs have a 5000 ohm resistor made of carbon and that lowers the available voltage in a J-E ignition system and allows AC voltage to pass also.

The NGK Z series plugs have an inductive resistor but most cost a lot more than the correct Champion plugs.

For those who wish to learn more about this subject:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pauldawson/iame26-spark-plugs.PDF

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/glossary.asp?kw=Resistor&manID=2&pt=1

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Resistor&mfid=2

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Proper heat range is only one consideration between spark plug brands.

The biggest difference was touched on by my esteemed colleague Rodbolt. For electronic ignition equipped Johnson and Evinrudes, the Champion Q series plug is needed. It has an inductive resistor that looks like a ball-point pen spring and measures about 40 ohms but stops or impedes the high frequency AC voltage in the system.

The R series NGK plugs have a 5000 ohm resistor made of carbon and that lowers the available voltage in a J-E ignition system and allows AC voltage to pass also.

The NGK Z series plugs have an inductive resistor but most cost a lot more than the correct Champion plugs.

For those who wish to learn more about this subject:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~pauldawson/iame26-spark-plugs.PDF

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/glossary.asp?kw=Resistor&manID=2&pt=1

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Resistor&mfid=2

Will the QL77JC4 plugs give better performance than the standard L77JC4 plugs on carbureted J/E motors?

Reason I ask is that I had to replace my plugs and could only find L77JC4.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Will the QL77JC4 plugs give better performance than the standard L77JC4 plugs on carbureted J/E motors?

Reason I ask is that I had to replace my plugs and could only find L77JC4.

I use my 1984 9.9 Evinrude strictly for trolling. She now has 600+ hours on her and runs like a champ. I run a sailboat prop to keep the rpms up, but I had plug fouling problems for the first few years. The motor came with L77JC4. Then I switched to Splitfire plugs and the motor has run with clean dry plugs ever since - for the last 20 years or so. I have tried using them in other motors that are run "normally" (not at idle all day long) and saw no difference.

I always use the plug type recommended in the owner's manual. This is my only deviation.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I use my 1984 9.9 Evinrude strictly for trolling. She now has 600+ hours on her and runs like a champ. I run a sailboat prop to keep the rpms up, but I had plug fouling problems for the first few years. The motor came with L77JC4. Then I switched to Splitfire plugs and the motor has run with clean dry plugs ever since - for the last 20 years or so. I have tried using them in other motors that are run "normally" (not at idle all day long) and saw no difference.

I always use the plug type recommended in the owner's manual. This is my only deviation.

Its quite possible that since Splitfire doesn't make as many plugs to cover each and every application and each plug needs to cover a much broader line of heat ranges and other needs, the plug they recommend for you motor could actually hotter than the stock champions. This may result in less fouling at low speed.

I will say my 9.9 is used in the same manner and I've never fouled a plug with the stock champions.