Is bigger always better?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is bigger always better?

Might with the 10,000 hitch and electric brakes. Check your owners manual. Usually specify capacity as a function of final drive ratio.

You indicated the Maryland area so I'd assume you are on relatively flat ground. Then your only real problem is retrieving from the river which can be assisted by the boat's engine, if necessary, to get you going up the ramp.

Mark

NewTube

Cadet

Does anyone have feedback on the boat itself? What I have read so far seems like Pursuit makes a good boat. Will the twin 250's be efficient or a guzzler? Any help is appreciated.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lots of Pursuit owners and -discussions over at thehulltruth forum. Seem like very good & seaworthy boats.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

As Stevens said -

**thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=176319**

(do not copy asterisks to browser address bar)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone have feedback on the boat itself? What I have read so far seems like Pursuit makes a good boat. Will the twin 250's be efficient or a guzzler? Any help is appreciated.

First off, a Tahoe isn’t going to even get close to cutting it. That boat will run #10K plus on the trailer and the Tahoe is #8.5K at best. I pull a #6K combo with my Tahoe and it’s a white knuckle ride all the way around the Beltway and up and down Rt.95 corridor with that weight. I sure a heck wouldn’t want to try pulling anything much bigger in that traffic.

For someone on a “fixed” budget twin 250’s are an awful big stomach. Figure 50 gallons, yes 50 gallons ($150 an hour) when run at WOT. At cruise you’re still into the gallons per mile syndrome, not miles per gallon.

FWIW: Your boating on a small ocean, not a large lake so pick your boat accordingly

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Remember that all boats swell up in traffic and shrink once you put them in the water.
icon10.gif

NewTube

Cadet

Sorry - fixed in the sense that I am not going to spend but so much on this boat and would like to get the best I can for that amount. As for towing, I am hopeful that I can bring this particular boat across the bay by water and only bring the trailer by road. After that it will be a matter of .5 miles to the landing area and back that I am hopeful the Tahoe can handle. Still early, boat purchase is not secure yet - just trying to do some due dilliegence before it is too late.

As for MPG or MPH, I kind of like the security of having two motors just in case and understand the downside. Thanks for the input.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

unless your tashasdaddy, get a proper marine and engine/leg survey done.
small things like a spongy feel to the floor in one spot, or a funny sound while thumping on the back of the boat (transom) could mean BIG DOLLARS later.

really think about what you to do with the boat before you buy.

i really want a 150 foot mega yacht but i live on a lake!

i personally believe boating should start with baby steps. small older 15-16 footer, learn how to use it and who cares if you hit the dock! (you will)!
learn safe boating,trailering, loading-unloading first. then a bigger boat.

im not trying to discourage you from buying your dream boat, i just dont want you to be the moron at the boat launch with his 28 footer across all the lanes!:eek:

good luck

oops

Tinman57

Seaman

If it is your first boat, I strongly suggest starting with a small boat. As a new boater, you will make most or all of the following mistakes:

* Bump another boat in the dock area
* Hit the dock too hard
* Get lost
* Run aground
* Get flustered by your electronics and navigation equipment
* Wreck a piece of gear because you don't understand how to use it
* Lose something overboard
* Forget to put the drain plug in
* Embarass yourself backing the trailer in crazy S turns at the ramp until you get the hang of it
* Hit something with the trailer

All these mistakes, and more, are much easier and cheaper to handle with a smaller boat, say 18'. After a season or two, you can trade up.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for MPG or MPH, I kind of like the security of having two motors just in case and understand the downside. Thanks for the input.

Just in case you didn't know you use both those engines all the time. One on each side of the boat with its own prop/drive. Attempting to use only one will result in you fighting the boat as it tries to turn. The power steering (if so equipped) is normally run on one engine. This would prevent you from shutting this engine down to run off the other anyways.

Two engines is great security in the sense if one dies you can get back on the other. It is also 8 more sparkplugs, 6 or so more quarts of oil, two more exhaust bellows & another fuel delivery system. You have two engines to maintain & keep fuel in all the time!

Not downplaying it at all but do keep it in mind that come time to change the oil or winterize its almost like having two boats!

tommays

Admiral

One has to wonder what is with a 1991 boat when the whole boat(with tripple axle trailer ) is selling for a bit more than than a single NEW 250 HP outboard :confused:

Tommays

MikDee

Banned

Fuel consumption! The guy probably figured out it's cheaper to go to the local fish market :D