Making a top/tower for my Traveler...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Making a top/tower for my Traveler...

Man that top looks awesome. Really updates the look of the old boat. Nice fab skills.

Revenge

Seaman

Bigblock454, The top is looking good. Since being from MD myself I can?t help but ask where you located? I am located in Carroll County myself.

Hope to see you on the water. Don.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Too kind guys, too kind, but thanks!! Sorry I didn't post pics last night! But I DID get the bases cut, just not welded up yet. Pretty beat from a hectic day at work, so we'll see what tomorrow brings. I may get up enough ambition to post what I have (but it ain't much).

Huron Angler - Sorry I missed your post (edited 7/1). Sure, why not a mini tower?? We can get this stuff down to like 1/2", and it's very easy to work with! Anyway I can help, just let me know!!

83mulligan - You bet!! Half the reason for this (well maybe a 1/3) is the rod holders/planer boards!! Rocket launchers sound great! Coast Guard approved, of coarse!! :D

ezmobee - Thanks. I wasn't quite prepared for that "fringe benefit" either. I was thinking practicality the whole way, and something that looks decent. But it makes the lil runabout look sorta like a cruiser! Can't wait to re-power her (more on that later)!

Revenge - Sup "homey". I'm from Anne Arundle county (Glen Burnie). I do make it down to the Choptank now and then (Caught my first "rock" there this year). But stay mostly north of the Bay bridge. Magothy, Bodkin, Patapsco etc. Thanks, nice to hear from you, and welcome to iboats!!

Norm II

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just our of curiosity, how do you plan to attach to the boat? Will you faricate your own custom deck attachments? I LOVE your creativity and fabrication ability. You are definitely a craftsman with a vision.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice work ..damn clever idea ..:)

drewpster

Commander

Have you looked in to powder coating it yet? I use a guy locally that does allot for the bikers and hot rodders around here. He keeps the doors open by doing some commercial work as well. I had a few small pieces done by him. The cost was well worth the result. Its a total guess, because your so far from here, but I would think your tower would be pretty cheap to do. Given the cost of base/ clear paints these days it may be worth your time to check it out. I would also help on the cost if you pick a basic color opposed to a complex one. He has a bright aluminum that looks close to anodized aluminum that is a little pricey. However I had a switch panel done by him awhile back that cost $20. Try to find a coater with a big oven. Anybody that does commercial work is going to have one. It is also good to find a mom and pop kind of place. They need the work and they are far more likely to work with you on price.
Obviously if you already have the paint on hand, powder coat may be too far out of the way. But I gotta tell ya, that powder coat is tuff stuff, and you know your tower is going to get abused.

drewpster

Commander

Sorry I had to post again.

Have you considered moving your stern light to the top? The anchor light on my Revel Craft is up there and it sure helps with the night vision to get the light over your head instead of eye level. You may want to add an overhead light under the canopy too. I suggest you add a second bar in front of the back bar to support a rocket launcher if you add one, they take allot of stress. You could also add an antennae mount up there for an on-board marine radio..............:p Radar? MACHINE GUN!

Just a bit stoked about this one. Great work.

wish I had a MIG.

drewp

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How about using 1/4" ply covered with Formica for the top in stead of fabric?

First cut/shape the ply and bend it to match the curve of the frame. Might need a few score marks with a razor knife to let it bend only in the center section. Then attach to the frame so its holding its shape. Then apply the contact cement and apply the Formica sheet and roll out for good adhesion. Trim edges to match ply, and then remove the ply from the frame, and roll out a layer of resin to seal the underside and edges. A nice edge molding can be epoxied on to give a professional appearance. See Mcmaster.com for edge molding.

A few years ago a member posted about how he made boat parts, like hard tops, using formica for the exterior surfaces. The pros of using formica are:
- Smooth. No sanding or finishing needed after it applied.
- Water proof. Will not absorb water even when soaked for days at a time.
- Fairly light weight.
- Available in dozens of colors.
- Follows simple curved surfaces easily.
- Follows tight curves when heated.

Another advantage of having a rigid top rather than fabric is that it will not flap in the wind, sag, let water pool and drip through. Accessories can also be mounted to it, like radio, fishing pole storage clips, lighting, etc

Just a neat option. Something to think about.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow... been away from my pc for a little, so sorry for keeping quiet, but some nice idea's from you guys. Some already crossed my mind, some not.

Woodonglass - Gonna show you that in just a minute. :D

Big Pete - Thanks, hope it inspires fellow "iboaters"

drewpster - The stern light up there is a definate! I REALLY want to have it powdercoated!! Haven't checked on pricing yet. Didn't know about the silver/alum pc but will certainly inquire!! Tower will be a perfect place to mount garmin and radio antenae. Thanks.

Mark42 - I've definately decided to go "hardtop". What to use is still the question. I'm thinking a luan type of ply (1/4" maybe), with some framework to finish the sides/back and provide convenient mounting points, all sheathed in glass. That formica idea doesn't sound bad at all though... and makes me ponder vinyl as well!! I still want to "play" with 'glass, as I know there's plenty of that coming soon, when I rebuild her deck and transom soon!

Thanks for all your comments and compliments again guys!! Need any help just ask!! Here we go with the next steps!!

Norm II

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

So... I now have my "legs" coming down to my deck at an awkward angle and want to make some kind of mounting system for them. I found these couplings right with the rest of the emt parts and pieces at HD, and had some flat steel scrap laying around for the "pads". But first I had to get the proper angle so the couplers could be welded to the pads at the proper angle for the legs. I cut a simple tool out of some thin wood scrap that I could use with a sharpie to make a mark around the coupler at the same height, all the way around the leg... some pics should help.

You can see faint lines (dots) made with a pencil.

0625101355b.jpg

0625101355a.jpg

0625101355.jpg

Here, I used a sharpie to connect dots for better visability.

0625101401.jpg

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then carefully using my chopsaw (I stuck the coupling onto a short length of conduit to keep fingers safe), or you can use a die grinder/cut-off wheel. I cut close to the line, and finished up with my grinder. Here's the results:

Helps to mark everything, when your at the welding bench with a bunch of parts. :eek:

0625101715a.jpg

0625101715.jpg

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm...another Locomotive Engineer...I get the freight trains in Minnesota..
keep that isolation switch in RUN:D
Looks like a great job your doing....way to go!!

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well done sir! You've really done an awesome job on that top. I'm very impressed with your fabrication skills. If I may, I'd like to suggest that you mount a remotely operated .50 cal gun turret on top.:D

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now, lets weld 'em up. Remember, the galvanized emt. First, the zinc isn't good for you, use a fan for ventilation. Second, it welds like doo-doo!! If you grind it off it welds MUCH better!! I didn't grind the front (more angled ones), and I thought I forgot to turn on gas... or just forgot how to weld :mad: But after grinding the zinc off, my confidence was somewhat restored :rolleyes:

0630101525.jpg

Ewwww... I'll "clean-up" with a grinder later.

0630101524-1.jpg

A little better...

0630101644a-1.jpg

0630101644.jpg

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

STARCRAFT16SS - Fun job, isn't it (I wouldn't trade it for the world)!! Isolation switch UGH!! How many times have you turned fuel pump off instead of your cab lights... or chopped the throttle too fast and went all the way "over the notch" and into the "MU Off" position!! Ain't it great?? I still love it everyday... and get PAID to do it!! ;) Glad to meet you here!!

BigBoatinOkie - Former Marine here... think they got any "surplus" at "supply" that they won't miss?? I'm in!! :D

Thanks again for compliments!! Nice thing about putting our projects here... It certainly motivates one to "keep it moving along"!! If you have a boat project, put it here, I strongly encourage it!!

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres the new pads/mounts in position on the deck.

0630101705.jpg

0630101705b2-1.jpg

0630101704-1.jpg

0630101705-1.jpg

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

That tower you're making for me looks great. When are you gonna make one for yourself?

:D

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

That tower you're making for me looks great. When are you gonna make one for yourself?

:D

Heck, then we wouldn't be able to learn from YOU!! :)
I don't think I have $150 into this thing, and a couple hours of labor (ok some of it in 100* weather). Let's get to it!! It didn't take much in the way of "fancy" tools, the most important one of coarse, is the welder. You got a little "encouragement" here (if you needed it), and I/we (fellow iboaters), are always "close by".

Norm II

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a couple of shots with the bases bolted down and the legs bolted in. I plan on getting pins (instead of the bolts/nuts) to hold the legs into the base to facilitate easier removal. I will also be "bedding" the bases with 3M after coating (paint/powdercoat). Taking her out shortly for quick hop down the river, and this will do for now.

Sorry 'bout the drill fillings...

0701101655b.jpg

0701101655a.jpg

0701101654.jpg

0701101656.jpg

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

... and here she is with a TEMPORARY tarp top. Just for some quick shade before fabbing the top. Still need to affix rod holders, some more bracing, light mounts, etc. But overall, I'm very pleased.

0701101504.jpg

0701101503.jpg

0701101504a.jpg