Making a top/tower for my Traveler...

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Making a top/tower for my Traveler...

Thanks ftl900... Nothing wrong with a good running quadratoilet!! :D I love 'em! Of coarse, I'm sure this has been debated heavily in MANY forums!! I do run holleys too.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey... Wanna see some legs??? :eek: Pics coming up!!

Norm II

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK... time for some commitment!! I Lowered the scaffold to get a good height, and keeping the boats lines decent (I don't want her to look too tall). This is where careful measuring REALLY come into play, as you have to account for the "fishmouths". Also with the angle of the legs, I had to make an angeled fishmouth. I could've rotated my drill press table to get the angle, but I would've had pipe sticking up in all directions and without support while cutting. So I cut a "normal" fishmouth, then moved the pipe in about a half inch, and cut another fishmouth without going all the way through (just through half of the tube)... make sense? That got things pretty close, to where my mig welder easily filled any small gaps. Mind you, I'm just "tacking" it together here. I'll weld her all up, when she's on the ground, and on MY terms! Nothing like enduring showers of sparks on near 100* days!! :mad:

0611101924.jpg

Be still my heart!! It's REALLY changing the look of the little boat!!

0611101924a.jpg

0611101924b.jpg

0611101925.jpg

0611101925a.jpg

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great so far. Do you know that they make a 1 1/4 emt bender that you can use by hand? It may be something you could get on craigslist rather cheap and will let you make offsets, kicks and elbows.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Much appreciate it 83vert, I'll look into it. Although I think I'm pretty much finished bending the 1 1/4, I'll certainly keep it in mind when bending the smaller pipes/gussets.

Norm II

Let's get the rear legs on!!

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now for the rear legs!! Once again, careful measurements (broken record). Measure from every dimension possible (leg bottom from front of windshield mount, centered left to right, top of legs equal distance from sides, etc). Probably a good time to mention some basic safety: You can see in a few pics, gas tanks are OUT OF THE BOAT, and out of sparks way! Also, this EMT is zinc coated (galvanizing). It's not really good for you. I keep a fan blowing at me all the time I'm welding, to get the fumes away from me. See the towel hanging from the windshield? It's pretty damp. Cover seats, windshields (spark burns on your windshield will REALLY upset you), and pretty much anything that you don't want a burn hole in. How 'bout I shut up, and put up a few more pics!!

0624101422.jpg

Hope I'm not "out of line", but I'm most happy (and excited) at the sight! It doesn't take much to make me happy!! I guess all of those fishing/crabbing days with no shade, or being scrunched under the "convertible" top has really gotten to me! :redface:

0624101423.jpg

0624101423a.jpg

0624101423b.jpg

0624101423c.jpg

Last edited:

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nicely done! Can't wait to see the finished product! You have some great fabrication skills btw.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much chargerboy. I'm pretty sure most of us in this hobby, have the ability to pull something like this off. all you have to do is START! Lots of amazing threads here started with someone who was "green" and a "newb" looking for advice... Next thing you know, we're asking HIM for advice!! The iboat forum is the best I've found so far!! Simply an amazing group of guys and gals (I'm sure). Thanks again!

Norm II

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you say we get rid of that cumbersome scaffolding!! It's done it's job, and now it's REALLY time to see what we're dealing with!! A few minutes with the cordless and:

0624101453a.jpg

:cool:

0624101453.jpg

;)

0624101452a.jpg

Got my buddy (helping adjust my trailer rollers). He's looking forward to some fishing with shade too!!

0624101452.jpg

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

A few more... I'm quite pleased so far. Thank you to iboats, and all of you who contribute (if only even by comments). You motivate me and others, and help with thinking "outside the box"!!

0625101717.jpg

0625101716a.jpg

0625101716.jpg

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking good there. That scaffold you built was a bit of genius, it's really working well for you.

I like the canvas idea for the top better, but fiberglass/foam core would be beyond my abilities anyway.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again ftl900. You know the ol' saying "necessity is the mother of invention"... Like all too many of us know... It's often just us, and the things that go "bump" in the night :eek: With no one around to say "here hold this" to... you gotta make do. I've not tinkered with glass yet, but I'm fixing to be a pro with the help of my friends right here!!

Norm II

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Next, I bought the roof down!! Back down on the ground to weld her up solid. Took some pics along the way. I have to say, it's a lot lighter than I thought she'd be!! I can easily pick it up in front of me and fling it over my head and hold it there!!

0624101456.jpg

0625101247.jpg

0625101247a.jpg

Welding fumes DEFINATELY getting to my head!!:D

0625101251.jpg

Yours truly

0625101250.jpg

drewpster

Commander

This is a great idea! It occurs to me that the finished tower could be powder coated when it is all welded up. I have to say I am impressed. This makes my brain go in overdrive. I have so many things ........sorry another idea just then.

Very inspiring!

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget the hook for wakeboarding!

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Top/Tower looking really good norm! I work for a stainless steel outfit and we buy our "fishmouths" premade. Saves a lot of tedious coping and fitting.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking sweet, how about some pics of the Camaro in the garage? :D:D

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope to get out today and make the mounts to attach to the boat. The top is going to be able to be quickly removed using 4 pins to secure it. I purchased 4 EMT couplers to use in making the bases. More tricky angles, but have an idea, and will post pics tonight.

drewpster - LOL, Got the creative juices going ehh?? Looking at the powder coating option, but may just base/clear coat. Have to check pricing.

chargerboy - Never tried wakeboarding, but I was thinking ski/tube tower!! Have to see if boats deck is sturdy enough. Going to rebuild her this offseason, and want to reinforce under the deck at tower mounting points.

83mulligan - Wish I had easy (affordable) access to some of those! Heck, I wanted to do this out of stainless or alum... but UGH, the prices!! This'll work for me.

83vert - Hah! another time, another forum! She's buried in there pretty good right now, awaiting restoration. Way to many hobbies, and not enough time/money to finish quickly!!

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Norm II

Huron Angler

Admiral

Very cool project big block, this thread truly does inspire new ideas for anyone reading it I'm sure. You've got me wondering if I could rig a mini tower for rod holders and planer boards on my boat:)

Great work, can't wait to see this all finished, your boat is being transformed:)

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You going to put about 6 or 8 rod holders accross the back rail? Make it a rocket launcher!!