Fuel problem

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
77 Glastron CVX16
77 140 Merc

I can't get fuel to my engine from the built in tank. when i run a fuel line directly into a gas can and prime fuel to the motor everything works fine so i know its not an engine or fuel pump issue. I checked the fuel line coming from the built in tank and everything looks good. ive got a primer ball hooked to the end of the built in fuel tank line and no matter how much i prime no gas is coming from the tank. any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Fuel problem

If there is a check valve in the tank, the primer bulb wont pull it through. Id say you are in the same boat (no pun intended) as i am right now.

Option 1:
Your fuel pump is bad.
I say this because it cant pull the fuel out of the tank anymore.

Option 2:
The check valve is stuck closed, and or the pick-up tube is jammed with crud.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If there is a check valve in the tank, the primer bulb wont pull it through. Id say you are in the same boat (no pun intended) as i am right now.

Option 1:
Your fuel pump is bad.

Option 2:

so the boat should not even need a primer bulb?

I did not mention that the boat has been sitting a while and the tank was bone dry. I did not top off the built in tank but did dump 5 gallons in there thinking that should be plenty to get it going.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Option 1:
Your fuel pump is bad.

Option 2:

is the check valve the little valve on top of the tank that the fuel line running to the rear of the boat hooks into? pickup tube the tube running into the tank hooking into the check valve?

Bifflefan

Commander

is the check valve the little valve on top of the tank that the fuel line running to the rear of the boat hooks into? pickup tube the tube running into the tank hooking into the check valve?

The valve is in the fitting that the rubber line attaches too.
If your is like mine, you can unscrew the tube right out of the tank and clean it.

And no, you dont need a primer bulb. I suppose you can have one if you want.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If your is like mine, you can unscrew the tube right out of the tank and clean it.

my boat has a metal gas line running all the way to the rear section of my boat.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just check valve and tube. neither one was restricted. how could my fuel pump be bad if when i run the rubber hose running to my fuel pump into a gas can and the boat runs good?

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

also, what is the 2 prong connector with the little metal ball inside that locks to another 2 prong fitting for? when i run a straight hose into a gas can everything works. could this 2 prong fitting be the problem and can it be eliminated?

Fed

Commander

If the boat is tilted down at the front 5 Gallons might not be enough to reach the pick up tube.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If the boat is tilted down at the front 5 Gallons might not be enough to reach the pick up tube.
ahhh. the boat is currently sitting with the trailer tongue on the ground. i will go try tipping up and post results. ive been going back and forth from a gas can to the tank hoping fuel in the pump would prime the on board tank.

Fed

Commander

I have a 25 gallon tank and it surprised me to find out I can't pick up the last 2 Gallons even when the boat is level.
I guess I have a built in 2 gallon water trap. LOL
Good luck.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well my issues are even greater now. once the boat was tipped up gas started flowing from the tank area all the way toward the drain. now i have fresh carpet soiled with gasoline and an obvious leaky tank...

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

tanks are tough, fuel lines are not. unless you are sure that it is a leaking tank. I would replace the 33 year old fuel lines and ball. :cool:

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It was the tank. now my new carpet is all bubbled up from spraying it down with the hose.

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

this still doesnt answer why the fuel pump was able to pull fuel from an external gas can and not the tank. Its a good thing it wasnt because the fuel i emtied from that permanent tank was orange. I guess i could try a temporary removable tank under the bow and run a long fuel line to it and see if the fuel pump pulls from it. It might be there for a while until I can afford to buy a permenant tank replacement.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

marv, the vale/ball connection is the syphon valve.. there is usually a spring in there.. not sure if your has it or not...but....the feul pump has to overcome that spring preasure to keep the gas flowing...

it is possible that with the external tank not having one that there is no resisitance for the pump to combat and therfore can run on a primer bulb..

i would diconnect thet fitting and check it out..

your tank is removable..so i would also take the tank out, there should be access... i would then inspect the bottom of the tank and see if you have wear in in... mine wore through a few pin holes since it was aluminum..

I patched mine temprarily and then purchsed the plastic typr tank..for the time being...you could use the external tank to get through the season..if its big enough and you have room...

marvin the minnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

marv, the vale/ball connection is the syphon valve.. there is usually a spring in there.. not sure if your has it or not...but....the feul pump has to overcome that spring preasure to keep the gas flowing...

it is possible that with the external tank not having one that there is no resisitance for the pump to combat and therfore can run on a primer bulb..

i would diconnect thet fitting and check it out..

your tank is removable..so i would also take the tank out, there should be access... i would then inspect the bottom of the tank and see if you have wear in in... mine wore through a few pin holes since it was aluminum..

I patched mine temprarily and then purchsed the plastic typr tank..for the time being...you could use the external tank to get through the season..if its big enough and you have room...

the internal tank was removed because of a serious leak. I will not be attempting to repair it as the fuel that drained out was very rusty. As for the fitting, there is a fitting toward the back of the boat that has this ball and spring. Im not sure which pience is is the female or male but the plastic piece that disconnects the the metal fittling attached to the fuel line running to the tank is brand new. it does wiggle a little when attached.