Check your balls......

BIGSTARCRAFT

Cadet
For some odd reason, I went out last night and was checking the back of my truck. I just happened to notice the nut on my trailer ball looked weird. Sure enough it was loose! About 2 threads from coming off! I have no idea how this could happen..I know it was tightened... I removed it, cleaned the threads and applied Lock-tite. Tight as can be now... I don't even want to think about what could have been... So please, Check your balls...

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: Check your balls......

What did you use to tighten it with? I use a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar 3 feet long and crank it on hard I had to cut the last one off we could not unloosen it.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a little on the pricey side, but I have different bars for my three size balls and a fourth for a trailer that doesn't like to be at the same height as the others. I put the balls on and then tack welded the nut to the shaft. Them bad boys had better never come off.;)

But, to your post, they do come loose for no apparent reason. I have had it happen, that is why I went overboard on them now.:D

BIGSTARCRAFT

Cadet

Used a breaker bar as well this time... But I will check now each time I couple the boat...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

But I will check now each time I couple the boat...

that's the ticket - if we could just get everybody to pay attention to the little things.....

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had that happen once a long time ago. I only use one ball per drawbar and after torquing it down I take a center punch and put it where the nut meets the thread on the shank of the ball and give it a good strike with a hammer.
I do this in three places around the nut. I haven't had one come loose since I started doing it.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the nut that holds my balls in place is pinned and then tack welded over. By the time I wear out my balls, its time for a new reciever anyways in my book

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drill a small hole through the shank below the nut and isert a cotter pin, then if all these other ideas sstill dont help; at least you won't lose the trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have never known one to back off as long as the lock washer is in place and it is tightened correctly to begin with.:eek:
I will be checking more closely from here on though.
Thanks for the warning.

scipper77

Commander

Just a word of caution to the breaker bar guys. Over tightening any fastener will reduce it's strength. Grossly over tightening could create a dangerous situation.