She dont go

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after dealing with this no spark issue(http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=405548) I get out to the lake and back off the trailer, move throttle forward but boat dont go. Give her more throttle, prop is spinning, water is flying, still not moving. Trimmed up, trimmed down, nothing!! Sounded like gears lashing slightly. Then after about 2 minutes of messing, the engine stalled and wouldnt restart. Checked prime bulb: fine. So the no spark issue was back and more importantly, no forward gear.
Now, the guy I bought the boat from said he couldnt get up on plane, was told had something in the lower end wrong. He even said the previous owner swapped gearcase and thought he didnt do it right. Well, obviously!!! So, thoughts guys??
I'll be checking the no start issue while I wait for some great suggestions. Also, see this thread for prior thoughts on not planing: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=395641

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: She dont go

Post some pictures if you can. Let us see the gearcase and how the motor is mounted relative to the bottom of the boat.

What did the gear oil look like when you changed it? The 1976 lower unit is hydraulically assisted; it won't work unless the gearcase is fully filled with the correct, high viscosity gear oil.

If the engine stalled out after two minutes, your float valves probably are stuck (or you overheated the engine).

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should I be able to spin the prop by hand when in forward gear?
I'll get some pics of how the motors mounted with that cmc plate on there. I was kinda thinking along the same line.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When the unit is mounted and in gear, it would be hard to turn the prop because you would turn the crankshaft in the engine along with it.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it seems as though I can free spin it. When this was happening at the lake, it almost sounded like it wasnt completely engaged. Kinda like the sound you hear when your 10 speed is right in between the gears, not quite catching the next gear.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

post the hp and yr.definatly have an issue with the "in gear"situation.If its in gear ,you should have great difficulty turning the prop ,depending HP

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

post the hp and yr.definatly have an issue with the "in gear"situation.If its in gear ,you should have great difficulty turning the prop ,depending HP

76' 135 johnny. And there is no resistance. Free spins. Maybe it has to do with the used controls i installed with cables. Needs adjusted maybe??? It seems as though the shift rod is lifting as it should but I wont guarantee it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you have the lower unit off, the swivel barrel at the top of the shift rod has to be set to the correct length; no more than two turns out from gently seated, wth the flat side facing the driveshaft.

Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and see if you can get the unit into forward gear by moving the bellcrank at the engine. It will be easier if you turn the propeller to align the gears. The gearcase must be filled.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when you have the lower unit off, the swivel barrel at the top of the shift rod has to be set to the correct length; no more than two turns out from gently seated, wth the flat side facing the driveshaft.

Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and see if you can get the unit into forward gear by moving the bellcrank at the engine. It will be easier if you turn the propeller to align the gears. The gearcase must be filled.

sorry ezeke, but whats the bellcrank??? I am gonna look into this problem 2nite and would like an idea of where i'm headed.
Thanks - jody