Oh man!!!

CarrierSquid

Seaman
Has anyone EVER heard of someone taking HOUSE paint and painting the hull of a boat? I am currently taking the paint off and plan on wet sanding and re gell coating it but REALLY?!?! WTF?!?!?!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oh man!!!

Ayuh,... Pretty Crazy ain't it,....

Almost as Crazy as Regelcoatin'....

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The top side of my boat was painted with Blue latex house paint... PITA

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd be looking for duct tape repair if that is the case!:eek:

CarrierSquid

Seaman

ok so what is wrong with re-gell coating it? as of now haven't found a duct tape repair job yet...

CarrierSquid

Seaman

got something that is taking it off down to the original gell coat. But still dont know why it would be crazy to re-gell coat it

Bondo

Staff member

But still dont know why it would be crazy to re-gell coat it

Ayuh,... 'cause it's 1000 times more Work than using a Quality Paint...
With questionable pay-backs...

MyViewGS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can't speak for Bond-o but I was wondering why you need to re-gelcoat too unless there is some damage that you didn't mention. Seems that removal of the paint would be all that's needed. I wouldn't think that the paint would've damaged the gelcoat. Kinda like removing old bottom paint or an old stripe before applying new paint.

MyViewGS:cool:

ooops..... I see you got a back in there ahead of me Bond-o......;)

MyViewGS:cool:

CarrierSquid

Seaman

ok.... you need to give this squid a little leeway. used to BIG ships that all you have to do is paint them. Any recomendations on a paint?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I have used Rustoleum , rolled it on , tipped it with a dry brush , and have had amazing results......might take awhile to dry and set , but last one I did , shined like it was wet 9 yrs later.....

CarrierSquid

Seaman

The reason i was looking at re-gell coating is because there are some spots that it looks like there isnt any gell coat or that has been fixed with bondo and was just painted over. Like I said I am new to all of this and would like any advice that i can get.

reelfishin

Captain

If you think old house paint is bad on fiberglass, try getting it off of an aluminum boat. I've been working on stripping off several coats of latex which has the texture of a dry lake bed. The former owner apparently stripped, primed, and painted it with house paint, then repainted every year over the crackling paint. Luckily over time, most of it has all but fallen off, in the year I've had the boat, about 50% has begun to peel bad enough that I can scrape a good bit of it off with a credit card. Its the little bits that remain that are the challenge. Goof Off, Goo Gone, and other solvents do nothing for it once it's this dry and cracked. Even aircraft stripper don't seem to touch it. The old owner even left two cans of the stuff in the boat for future touch up, MAB Seashore house paint, in both white and burnt sienna, (his version of bottom paint I guess). There's even a 7" broom/ or brush that came with it. The one thing that saved me some work is that he never sanded or prepped the aluminum and it's natural inability to hold paint and time seem to be working with me. I got the boat from a surviving relative, so I never got to speak to the owner himself, but from the look of things, he must have been a builder or house painter. he built the interior and seat boxes from 2x12" lumber, the deck was done over in 5/4 board decking, and the seats were made from 3/4" plywood with home made seat cushions. There's also a boarding ladder that weighs about 100lbs that was in the boat also made from 2x12s. All were coated with many layers of latex house paint. In a way it worked in that the underlying aluminum is well preserved, I just have to do some digging to find it.

CarrierSquid

Seaman

Sounds like you have a tougher go that i do.... At least the paint on mine is comming off with minimal effort.... now just have to figure out if i want to keep it the same color or change it. One thing though... after it is painted do i need to put anything over the top of the paint?

scipper77

Commander

Have you tried a pressure washer?? I would think that it would take most of the paint off.

For removing paint from aluminum try using stripper and then putting seran wrap over the stripper. The plastic wrap lets the stripper soak in for longer without drying and rehardening.

Bondo

Staff member

One thing though... after it is painted do i need to put anything over the top of the paint?

Ayuh,... You can Wax it if you want,....

Bondo

Staff member

so simply putting a marine paint on it will protect it and make it shine?

Ayuh,... It ain't even gotta be Marine paint,...
Plain ole Rustoleum enamal works Great... especially for roll, 'n tippin'...
I also use Martin Seynor Fleet paint, sprayed on....
Prizim is what they call that line...

CarrierSquid

Seaman

sweet thanks for the info. this might be cheaper than i originally thought.... not that i am going cheap anyway....

CarrierSquid

Seaman

one more on this... when you say roll and tippin' what exactly are you talking about?