Deco Dot Came Today

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
That nice guy from UPS dropped off a roll of Nautolex Deco Dot. Went with this medium grey color, because it pretty much will match anything. The gel coat is a light cream, the upholstery is medium beige with red and navy accents (classic 80's Bayliner color scheme - not my favorite)

754748.jpg

This is a photo from the hard top project. All that brown carpet will be replaced with the deco dot. You can see the upholstery color and trim accents in red and blue. Think the grey is a good choice or should I have gone with the taupe?

8715.jpg

Ordered 5 yards. Its 72" wide, so you get a heck of a lot of vinyl for your $20/yd.

So hopefully this weekend, after installing the Smart Tabs, I will start installing this vinyl. The clock starts Saturday morning when the Wife leaves with the kids for an overnight trip to a Christian concert. Its going to be a boat projects marathon! Put on the coffee!

Just a word of caution, some retailers sell the 53" wide roll for the same price as the 72" wide roll. So be careful if you order this product that you know the width of the roll.

redfury

Commander
Re: Deco Dot Came Today

nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product and a review Mark! I haven't decided on what I'm doing for my floor yet, but deco was on the list.

bananaboater

Ensign

I think you will find the Deco Dot to be a worthwhile endeavor. One thing to watch out for bubbles under the vinyl. Your roller will get a work out.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I may not actually get to laying the viny because, like a paint job, prep is where the time should be spent. The plywood has a coat of chopper gun glass and gel on top. So its going to have to be sanded smooth, then fill and nicks and dents. I also have some epoxy left over, so I may just roll on a coat before applying the vinyl. Especially where any seems will be.

I could use some suggestions on corners: Where vertical meets horizontal, not sure how to make the seem. Was thinking of doing a 1" overlap, then trim with a razor tight to the corner, and hide the seam with a strip of PVC trip board ripped down to 1/2" triangle strips. Sound good or is there a better way to seal the seams?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mark it depends on the adhesive used ...... but have you ever watched a carpet installer? They overlap and cut through both layers for a tight seam.

bananaboater

Ensign

Keep in mind Nautolex says that the edges of its vinyl must be mechanically fastened down (staples, aluminum edge) or it will eventually curl. I rolled mine over the edge and stapled.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Keep in mind Nautolex says that the edges of its vinyl must be mechanically fastened down (staples, aluminum edge) or it will eventually curl. I rolled mine over the edge and stapled.

Wow! Thanks for that info. When I called Nautolex the tech person told me that install instructions were only available to boat manufacturers and that they do not intend their product to be sold to the general public. End of story, no more info will be granted. What *)(@#")$(@#$S. I hope they replaced that tech.

Anyway, today I bought a indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive that is intended for sheet vinyl and vinyl tile on plywood and concrete as well as carpet on concrete that has been sealed. It said it also works on laying vinyl over old vinyl. Hmmmm.... Will see how it works.

Regarding the edges, I found lots of PVC mill work at HD that will work just fine for holding the seams together on inside AND outside corners. A bead of Boat Life sealer will make the cut seam water tight. Will attach the PVC mill work with stainless screws. Looking at 3/8x1/2 shoe molding for inside corners, and the usual 3/4" outside corner molding. May rip to smaller sizes on the table saw.

Lucky for me, the flooring gal at HD is also a boater. She said the adhesive I chose has been used on 'toons with lots of water and the glue did not come apart. If someone calls a pontoon boat a "toon" or even knows they exist, I figure they have some knowledge about boats.

Will see how it works, as they say "the proof is in the pudding". Meaning if you dig through pudding long enough you might find the letters p-r-o-o-f floating around in there somewhere. :D

Ok, this has been a good rest. Back to work!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I used the HD 6700 adhesive and so did ezmobee on carpet..... good stuff.

redfury

Commander

Thinking about it, the only thing that comes to mind about using that flooring is the amount of shrinkage is may or may not experience. It should dimensionally get larger if it gets hotter, smaller if it gets colder, which is why I think they want mechanical fastening to edges, so it can just stretch instead of pull apart a bonded seam ( ever see a seam long term on vinyl flooring? It eventually comes apart if it's exposed to too many chemicals/water over the years. )