Registration Number Legalities

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
I have a question about the legalities of the registration numbers. I know you are suposed to use 3" Block lettering with spaces or hyphens between letters and numbes.

Though, can these block letters be Red with Black (or grey) shadowing if placed on a white hull?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Registration Number Legalities

I don't know about Tennessee,....
But,.....
In New York the Only color requirement is that the #s are in a Contrasting Color......

Red,+ Black on White is Very contrasting......

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I just dont remember anyone using Shadowed letters... not that i have been paying much attention. This is the first time i have had to actually put the reg numbers on. Yay me for a new boat LOL.

The hull on my boat has a white top, with a Black hull down to the water line. The inside of the boat is white, with red and greay accents. Yes we are Ohio State Fans.

The name on the back of the boat is goign to be in Script Red with either Balck or Grey shadow. I know i have to use Black lettering for the reg numbers, which is fine, I would jus tlike to shadow them to match, if its legal. I haven't read anythign that says you can't, but I haven't read anythign that says you can either.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

In Fla the registration has to be legible and I believe 3". The spacing has to be double spaced between the letters and numbers. As long as it can be read from a reasonable distance (that is defined but I can't remember what it is) the colors and shading don't matter. IE -- red letters on a red hull would cause an issue. Black letters on a red hull probably would too.

I have no clue as to any other state.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would go with your design and wait for some official to question it. Chances are as long as it is very visible from a distance, you will not get a hassle from officials.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a place on Ebay Uletterit. they have all kinds of designs, cheaper than buying individual numbers at walmart.

freddyray21

Commander

in Missouri it is just contrasting colors so they can be read. They must be 3" and block letters. Doesn't matter what color they are as long as they are readable. As it's been said red on black would not be very readable. Yellow on black yes white on black ect.

OCGrady

Recruit

I'm buying a boat from my neighbor. He doesn't have the title, but he does have the signed registration card from the previous owner in Delaware (we're in Maryland). He says that Del. doesn't have boat titles and all I need to do is take the card to the DNR office and tell 'em I bought the boat for cash and they'll give me a Maryland title and registration.

Does anybody know if he's right or not?

Right now I've given him 10% of the purchase price and will give him the rest when I get the clear tile this Monday when I (hopefully) get the title.

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The reg book for TN states it has to be 3" letters of contrasting colors. You can check out more info on Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's (twra) web site.

OCGrady

Recruit

I'm buying a boat from my neighbor. He doesn't have the title, but he does have the signed registration card from the previous owner in Delaware (we're in Maryland). He says that Del. doesn't have boat titles and all I need to do is take the card to the DNR office and tell 'em I bought the boat for cash and they'll give me a Maryland title and registration.

Does anybody know if he's right or not?

Right now I've given him 10% of the purchase price and will give him the rest when I get the clear tile this Monday when I (hopefully) get the title.
My neighbor was wrong. I needed the reg. card, a signed bill of sale (a form that they provided to me), and a picture of the hull number.

I am now officially a boat owner.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! I had a lot of fun growing up boating in O.C. on the bay on vacation. I would love to take mine down there but I don't trust my trailer to make the trip and my lack of power trim scares me on the bay with all the random sand bars. It is customary here to post pics of your new boat :)

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

i use a place on Ebay Uletterit. they have all kinds of designs, cheaper than buying individual numbers at walmart.

Can't find it on Ebay? You sure that store name is right? thanks

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

As mentioned above, It should be a contrasting colour and be the proper 3" height.

My boat is blue on top with the lower hull being white. The boats graphics and Crestliner logos are Gold on the blue.

I had my letters custom made at a local shop that does car lettering. I think it was about $30-$40 for both sides and it came in one piece so i just stuck on one sticker instead of one letter at a time, so the spacing was perfect. I had them match the font of the Crestliner logo and the gold colour and put it over the blue part of the hull. It looks like it was put on from the factory. matches perfectly.

I have been stopped a few times by the police on Lake Ontario just doing random safety checks(making sure i have all my safety gear and no one is drinking). They usually just pull up beside me when I am trolling and troll beside me while asking the questions. They always record my hull number before they leave. Maybe to check for stolen boats or make sure it is registered, who knows. But they have never gave me a problem with the colours.

I know you can buy the shadowed numbered around here at local boat stores so I am sure they are legal.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, I think I am going to toss Bright red, shadowed with grey on the white.

Should be contrasting enough.

OCGrady

Recruit

Congrats! I had a lot of fun growing up boating in O.C. on the bay on vacation. I would love to take mine down there but I don't trust my trailer to make the trip and my lack of power trim scares me on the bay with all the random sand bars. It is customary here to post pics of your new boat :)

Thanks ez! I'll get right on that picture thing. The boat in my avitar is nearly identical to mine, but it's not mine. When I get the pics loaded, where should I post them? Do I just start a new thread?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You could always stick them in the "Show Your Boat" thread that pops up from time to time.

Cap'n John

Recruit

In all 50 states the legal requirement for registration numbers is a minimum height of 3" tall in "roman" or "block style" characters. They must also be in a contrasting color to the background where they will be applied.

Most states require a space between the letters and numbers equal to one, sometimes two, character spaces. While some states, South Carolina for example, require a dash between the letters and numbers instead of a space. Examples: FL 1234 AB or SC-1234-AB

Outlines, shadows, slants or all of the above can be used as long as the registration numbers themselves are still 3" tall and contrast with the background color.

In my 20+ years of making boat lettering, I have found that as long as the registration numbers are legible from at least 20 feet away you shouldn't have a problem.

~ the Cap'n

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good info CJ.
Please remove the business advert from your signature.
That is not allowed here on iboats.
Oh yea, welcome aboard.
EDIT: Never mind, I did it for you.