I broke a head bolt. Now what?

DaMoos

Cadet
1977 evenrude 85

want to replace starboard headgasket. All but two of the head bolts came off without a hitch, but on two bolts, the bolt heads sheard off flush.

Now what? The head is stuck fast to the engine. I assume the block is threaded for the bolts, but the holes in the head are smooth. Is this true? If so could the head be pursuaded off and the bolts turned out with a vice grip or something?

The head is stuck good though, so even if that could work I'm not sure how to get the head to pull off.

How about some sort of easy-out? Aren't the bolts stainless steel? I have a power drill with some serious torque if the easy-out is the way to go.

what do ya think?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: I broke a head bolt. Now what?

DON'T use EZ outs! Do remove the head - heat and penetrating oil should free it up. Being that the head is still in place, a heat gun might be the better alternative as opposed to a propane torch. Go carefully, regardless, as you don't want to cook anything nearby. Once you get the head off, you can get the rest of the bolt out. Gentle persuasion using wooden dowels, wedges, etc. may help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What chinewalker said. There is no such thing as an easy-out. It ain't easy and it won't get them out. If the bolt wasn't strong enough to turn itself out, why would a skinny, fragile easy-out get it out? You will break it off in the bolt.

GatorMike

Ensign

If you got all the other head bolts out you should be able to work the head off without removing the broken bolt first. Like the others said penetrating oil should do the trick. One thing I would like to add, give the oil plenty of time to work in and don't rush things. I was always one to rush things but learned reciently that penetrating oil and time works wonders. I broke a couple of bolts while disassembling my power head. I had some other things I had to work on at the same time so rather than rushing I sprayed a little oil on the bolts every day and tried them. At first they were stuck tight, eventually they came out like new bolts, not much torque at all.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What has worked best for me when working with a broken bolt in aluminum is a drill bushing, or guide. This requires a lathe to make. You turn a piece of steel to a close fit in the bolt hole, and then while still in the lathe drill a hole thru the center of this. The head would be held in place with two, or three bolts' to use this guide. This will guide the drill thru the very center of the broken bolt. The broken bolt then can be drilled with a progressively big drill until the threads' of the broken bolt can be picked out. When drilling stainless steel such as this bolt, use a sharp, good quality drill. In stainless steel, if you let the drill spin without cutting, it will work harden the stainless steel, and make further drilling very difficult. You may then need a carbide bit, and these are not cheap, and you do not want to break one off. A broken carbide drill is as impossible to remove as a broken easy-out. This may sound difficult, but I could make that guide in a matter of minutes. Unless you are in a hurry, I could make you one.

Fisher freak

Seaman Apprentice

In the worst case senario i have heard of guys that drilled out the bolt but seriously damaged the threds. they then welded the hole closed drilled it out and rethreded the hole to match. or i have heard of a press fit sleeve that is prethreded. you drill out the hole push this sleeve into place and used the new thred and bolt size.

DaMoos

Cadet

Should I put penetrating oil on the ends of the broken bolts, AND around the joint between the head and the block, or just the bolts?

same question with the heat

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Trying to drill a straight hole thru the bolt free hand is what is going to damage the thread. Once you drill clear thru the broken bolt, you can apply penetrating oil which will soak the thread much better. You could then try a left hand drill held in a cordless drill. I have found these drill's in auto supply stores. Penetrating oil, heat, and a left hand drill may back the bolt out.

jonesg

Admiral

I would use a deadblow to loosen and remove the head first, then weld a nut on the broken bolt, work it back and forth before trying to back it out.

If it won't come out or snaps off just heli coil it and be done with it.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Welding heat, stainless steel bolt, aluminum block. I don't think I would try that.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Welding heat, stainless steel bolt, aluminum block. I don't think I would try that.

sure with a tig torch you could weld a nut on that broken bolt fast enough that the other end of the boat wont see the heat before you can quench the whole area with a sopping wet rag.....

then i would heat the block at least to 300 degrees before i tried to take out the broken bolt...

heat is your friend here...just dont go over board

bob

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a soft faced hammer give the head a few raps and then it will pop off.Once you can get to broken shanks the best thing to do is heat the aluminum around the bolt then spray with a QUALITY penetrating oil,like aero -kroil, pb blaster, moov-it this will give it some capillary action it may have to be repeated a few times,be careful after the first time the penetrating oil will burn.this way it will aid in the removal with vise grips .

jonesg

Admiral

If you don't have a decent tig available just use 2 jam nuts, put a wrench on the lower nut to loosen, the top nut to tighten.
That will impart a LOT more torque than vice grips.
Grinding 2 flats for vice grips would help if theres not enough room for 2 nuts.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

If you don't have a decent tig available just use 2 jam nuts, put a wrench on the lower nut to loosen, the top nut to tighten.
That will impart a LOT more torque than vice grips.
Grinding 2 flats for vice grips would help if theres not enough room for 2 nuts.

do you think he could put a nut on the end of a broken head bolt????

I would think they have a non threaded shank under the head.....bob

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class
removing broken bolts

removing broken bolts

Seems like everyone has chimmed in here, so I'll add my two cents. Some of the stuff above isn't exactly good sound advice, some is.

First, definitely finish removing the head. A few taps with a soft faced dead blow hammer should do the trick. When tapping the head, alternate from one side to the other. Using wooden shims as previously mentioned is a pretty good idea.

Once you've got the head removed and you have access to the broken bolts, you have a couple options. If you've got a welder, I would suggest welding a nut to the end of the bolt shank as prevoiusly mentioned. The trick here is that once you weld the nut on, DON'T quench it with water or penetrating fluid. This will make your weld and the bolt hard and brittle, therefore more likely to break off again. You want to let the weld cool on it's own.
If you don't have a welder, try grinding a couple flats on opposing sides of the bolt to aid in the grip of a set of vice grips.

Now that you've got a way to grip the bolt to remove it, try giving the bolt a few good sharp taps with a ball peen hammer. You want to strike it right on the top dead center of the bolt. What you're aiming to do is break the bond formed between the bolt threads and the threaded hole. This helps form a "capillary" for the penetrating fluid to creep down, which is the next step. Spray the bolt down with a good penetrating fluid and let it sit over night. Give it time to do it's job!

Finally, you're ready to try and remove the bolt. Use a propane torch and heat the block around the bolt hole. The idea here is, heat makes things EXPAND. By heating up the block around the bolt, you're enlargening the bolt hole ever so slightly. NEVER heat the bolt! This will actually work against you and make the bolt even tighter in the hole. In fact, do just the opposite. Try to avoid any heat from touching the bolt.

A word of caution must be said when heating aluminum with a torch. If you heat it up too much, you'll actually flow the aluminum and melt it. NOT GOOD.

As you're warming the block up, gently work the bolt loose. When you loosen it a little bit, work it back in the other direction. TAKE YOUR TIME. Keep working the bolt back and forth until you've got the bolt entirely out.

I've personally never had any luck a set of easy-outs. In fact, I think they're a waste of time. On the other hand, a set of left handed drill bits can work to your advantage. Sometimes you'll get lucky and have the drill bit catch the bolt and walk it out for you. Not often, but it happens.

In the worst case scenario, you can always drill the bolt out, retap the hole a size larger as previously mentioned in this thread and heli-coil it. It will hold every bit as good as if the repair had never been done.

Sorry if this all seems a bit long winded. Just trying to help.

jonesg

Admiral

do you think he could put a nut on the end of a broken head bolt????

I would think they have a non threaded shank under the head.....bob

Probably, I tend to think SS is just gonna twist off flush anyway .
All the SS bolts I've used are like cheddar cheese.

Fisher freak

Seaman Apprentice

I would weld on a new nut like mentioned. Now the heat problem.. Their is this new stuff out a lot of autobody guys are using it because it takes care of the heat. it is used in welding and all you have to do is spray the surrounding area that you do not want to get hot and weld away.. conservatively because you still get heat trough the bolt. you should be able to get it out of any welding store magazine etc. Good luck and lots of fish. :)

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Ok my 2cents worth.

Spray PB blaster around the head gasket area. Use a rubber mallet and smack it. Remove the head.
If there are bolt studs still sticking out, heat them up with a torch. Spray PB blaster where they are threaded into the block. "It will smoke like crazy" Let them cool thoroughly and remove them, with a small pipe wrench,
working them back and forth, and spray more blaster. "Repeat as prescribed"

If you decide to weld a nut on the studs, use stainless steel rod, or supper missile or your weld wont hold.

rokhd

Cadet

I have had good luck using muratic acid on stuck/broken bolts. Basically using it the same way as you would use penetrating oil, just be careful not to get it on you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It appears that the original poster has the repair done and is running the outboard....... do you all want to keep suggesting ways to fix a motor that is fixed?? :confused: