Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Coffee with cream.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Flavored coffee.

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
My wife likes flavored coffee blends, and I like good strong coffee. We are always looking for that perfect cup of coffee. Have any suggestions?

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Good Coffee Blends

A medium roast Kenyan coffee or a Kauai Coffee (Estate Blend Blue Mountain Dark Roast) nice and strong brewed, taken off the heat IMMEDIATELY so it doesn't burn, with a touch of milk (not cream or half and half, just plain milk) is my ideal ... what I enjoy most mornings for about 4 cups worth, then I have reached my quota and am usually done for the day.

Both of these coffees have a bold flavor without the acidity of others (like Starbucks). Love the flavor, can do without the bitter acid after taste.

And flavored coffee just doesn't cut it.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I suggest getting a Keurig coffee maker.....that way you can each brew the exact cup of coffee you want at any time. These things are really pretty neat, and there is a mind boggling amount of coffees out there for it. Being a single cup brew system, you can easily brew a good strong cup for yourself, and immediately thereafter your wife can brew something flavored.

I really like the Island coconut and Hazelnut from Green Mountain as far as the flavored coffee goes. The regular coffee is great too, I have liked most of the blends I have tried now.....you can even brew tea and iced tea with it.

http://www.keurig.com

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I think the selections in your poll are unrelated to your question. A coffee "blend" is made up by the roaster and involves different varietals of coffee beans and different roasting techniques. My wife and I happen to like Seattles Best blend for brewed coffee. For espresso, we both like Henry's Blend from Seattles best. And of course, you should allways grind your own beans just before brewing.

As far as flavor, I think the flavored ground coffee has a bit of an acid aftertaste. If you want flavors, there are several brands of flavored syrups out there. Monin, Torani, and Entnner-Stuart re the first ones that come to mind. IMO, even flavored creamers are better than the flavored beans for brewed coffee but for a latte', use the syrups.

Reminds me of the first time I stopped at a Dunkin Donuts in New England. When the gal asked if I wanted "regular coffee", I thought she was talking about decaf or regular so I went with regular. Had no idea that in in Connecticut. "regular coffee" includes several spoons of sugar plus an inch of cream in the cup. WOW - the first tase was a waker upper!!!!

If you want good coffee, get a premium bean and buy yourself an inexpensive blade grinder at K-Mart. You'll get used to good coffee real quick and it'll be tough to go back to the stuff in can!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Kicking horse bean, we grind.
definetly with cream and sugar, nato standard 1 moo-2 sweat

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I suggest getting a Keurig coffee maker.....that way you can each brew the exact cup of coffee you want at any time. These things are really pretty neat, and there is a mind boggling amount of coffees out there for it. Being a single cup brew system, you can easily brew a good strong cup for yourself, and immediately thereafter your wife can brew something flavored.

I really like the Island coconut and Hazelnut from Green Mountain as far as the flavored coffee goes. The regular coffee is great too, I have liked most of the blends I have tried now.....you can even brew tea and iced tea with it.

http://www.keurig.com

My Keurig Mini was the best purchase I've made regarding coffee makers. I only need one cup in the morning (I prefer flavored coffees) and the hubby doesn't drink it, so it's a waste to use your everyday coffee maker in my house. However, the best part is when company is over I keep variety packs so that anyone can have the cup they want. It also doubles as a common conversation piece lol.

They also sell a reuseable filter so you can use your own coffee blends or flavors.

A few of my favorites are Timothy's Breakfast Blend, Donut House: Chocolate Glazed, and Green Mountain Hazelnut.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

AW, someone's going to say it anyway's, Tim Horten's, double. double MMMM:D

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Yea PiratePast40 I was making the pole questions and realized there are way too many blends of coffee to put in the pole, so just decided to do a pole on the normal type of coffee questions.

Sounds like I need to check out that Keurig coffee maker. It would be nice for my wife and I to brew our own kinds of coffee.

We normally grind our own beans too. We have tried many different brands, blends, and different kinds of flavored beans. We still have not found that Perfect coffee.

As of the present for my strong coffee I like to grind Folgers and ad a piece of Ghirardelli Espresso Escape chocolate to it. It is good, but I am still looking.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The best coffee I have ever had and when we go to the lake we bring it with us is Jamaican Blue Mountain it is expensive but worth it on special occasions,during the week I make the DD regular and on weekends DD hazelnut or vanilla

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Is it possible to be a "coffee elitist"? Myself, a good cup of strong black coffee is all that is required. Ok, in the morning several cups. :D

That's a polite way of saying "coffee snob" but it's appreciated. :D

Once you learn the difference, it's a little like the choice of having leftover tuna caserole or filet mignon. Not that leftover tuna caserole is a bad thing but given the choice, well ......... just saying!

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

Tim Hortons 1 milk, 3 sugars, large, please.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

2/3 Folgers Black Silk , 1/3 Folgers Cinnamon . You would be surprised how good it is :D

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Canada.....Tim Horton's double double
Jamaican Blue Mountain is great
Dominican coffee is amazing as well although you have to use more of it to get the strength by comparison to others.
Always grab my "last" Tim Horton's just before I cross the border when going on business trips.:):)

phwrd

Petty Officer 1st Class

My requirements are simple. Black, hot and fresh.

Maybe i just have not found anything that makes me want to go through anymore work for it, but that is what i want first thing in the morning.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My requirements are simple. Black, hot and fresh.

Maybe i just have not found anything that makes me want to go through anymore work for it, but that is what i want first thing in the morning.

Are you still talking about coffee ??? :D

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

The perfect pot of coffee is whatever the wife says it is, if you know what's good for you. ;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good ole Walmarts, a pot of 100% Columbian that's all i can manage in the morning. then i am awake. no one talks to me until the 1st cup is down.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

The perfect pot of coffee is whatever the wife says it is, if you know what's good for you. ;)

No No I cannot force myself to drink that flavored stuff my wife makes......It smells like glade plug inns.:eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hand's down the finest way to make a small amount of great coffee is with a French Press..... ask any chef;)

Yes, the individual cup Keurig is nice ....... my regular electric B&D is fine for my morning coffee too (large quantities :D) but for the individual look into a french press.

Fresh beans ground right before brewing ;)