I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Gentlemen -

Submitted for your approval, my application for membership to the Starcraft Owners Club.

22_foot_jungle_gym_2.jpg

Came to town this morning, my son and I spent about an hour looking over the boat and I found everything much better than I expected. Interior is quite dirty, but everything's there. The way the seller described it over the phone, it sounded like the squirrels had totally torn it apart. Floor feels quite solid as does the transom. Tires and bearings were all good too! The only thing I had to do to get it back to Madison (staying at my Parents' place tonight) was put air in the tires.

I didn't even dicker - happily gave him full asking price: $700. Never even tried to start the motor, I did find a crack in the carb mounting plate (see the last picture at the link below). Even so, I feel like it would have been a good deal even if there was no motor at all. So I'll fiddle with that another day. For now I just gotta get her back to Minneapolis tomorrow.

All the pics are here:
http://www.paparoof.com/photos/v/starcraft/?g2_page=1

Oh this is exciting!

Starcraft Enterprise

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

I guess I get to be the first to congratulate you! Looks like you did your homework and it paid off. I would have paid the asking price too.
If you back that into a self service car wash and hit it with some high pressure hot soap and water you will be suprised how much of it will clean right up.
I don't know what to make of that crack. Oh well, replace the carb mount, change the oil, shoot a few squirts of oil down each cylinder, some fresh gas, put it on some muffs and I bet it will run for you.
Keep us updated.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Im suprised you all did not wear masks when you picked up that jewel. I suggest that you check each end of your wireing with a ohm meter to be sure the wires are not chewed up. Powering that up when the squirls were in it could cause a big fire. also suggest you do the first test with a battery charger as you can controll the power easier. Would not be nice to have a fire on first try. Just a suggestion. Boat looks like it will clean up very easy as most of what I see is just dirt. Your two electronic units and the kicker power lift cost more than you paid for the boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am pumped for ya man!!!! I told you before to expect a total rebuild -anything less than that would be icing on the cake. I am thinking you have a whole lot of icing right there buddy!!!!!!!

Congradulations!!!!! Way to go!!!!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Nice boat you got there. My favorite of the Starcraft's. A real big water craft.

bananaboater

Ensign

Gentlemen -
Submitted for you approval, my application for membership to the Starcraft Owners Club.

Came to town this morning, my son and I spent about an hour looking over the boat and I found everything much better than I expected.

Oh this is exciting!

"Better than expected." Now that is rare. Welcome!

DucatiDave

Seaman Apprentice

Way to go, paparoof! I knew your perserverance would pay off. Surprising how many of those Islanders are around.

Good luck!

Dave

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congratulations Paparoof, and welcome to the fleet:)

She is a real gem and I'm glad you took your time buying, it seems to have paid off big time:D

You've got jasoutside a nice twin to compare his rig to.

Good luck and post some more photos once you get a chance!

paparoof

No way could I have scrutinized my way into such a good deal without all the guidance from you folks, so a big THANK YOU to all of you!

Puget - you are absolutely right about the wiring. The seller told me already the squirrels got into the wiring so I'll be checking and verifying everything prior to trying anything. Not just with a meter but visually too - copper could still be intact but the insulation is chewed and the wire shorted out to something bad.

Spent the morning out in the boat with scrub brushes and a hose getting the boat as presentable as possible for when we arrive home this evening and SWMBO gets her first look.

Also discovered a bird living in the trailer frame. It's down at the bottom of the diagonal/vertical part that the winch is mounted to. It won't come out but it chirps up a storm when we're near it, so I'm guessing it's sitting on eggs in there. No way for us to get it out (short of using the vacuum cleaner), so I guess that family is moving to Minnesota whether they like it or not. Hope it's not an invasive species....

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

congrats on the great boat and great deal.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a mighty fine looking boat. You did quite well for $700. That's gonna be a fun one.

grantcool

Cadet

I have noticed that boats go for a lot less up north than down here in Flo-rita. I would have thought the opposite, since there has to be more boats here......

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

NIce BOAT !!! Congrats & Welcome !!!

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

And your a fellow INLINER.. Inline 6 !! 165hp !!..

I looked at the crack at the carb, I'd take the plate, clean out the crack with a dremel and put a nice coating of JB Weld..

Also, there's a Diverter plate under there.. dont leave that off.. else the center 2 cyls wont run right.

I noticed you dont have fuel tanke above the floor under the gunwals.
I guess the'ye under the floor then.. interesting..

and the bow foam looks good.. I had a lot of mouse urine on mine.

Looks nice..

Sawe the dash, looks like it needs some help,

PS.. I also had the same shifter/throttle lever.. Ive looked at a lot of boats and I think that one is on the rare side..

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats, congrats, congrats!!! :D

Looks like you got a heck of a deal there. It also looks like it is 99% original and complete! WOW!

I think we have the same Calkins trailer too :eek:...but I think yours is in much better shape. :)

Way to go, and welcome to the club. :cool:

Can't wait to see how it cleans up for you. I bet you get to spend the season on the lake. :)

Personally I would clean it up, go through the wiring, double check the trailer, change the drive oil, engine oil, and outdrive water pump impeller, plugs, maybe plug wires, maybe thermostat (make sure it's the correct marine one so it runs the right temp), and all that somewhat minor stuff...and enjoy it until winter!

Great score!

TS

-

paparoof

Way to go, and welcome to the club. :cool:

So does that mean I'm in?

Thanks again to all y'all. I just spent the last five hours staring at the bow filling my rear view mirror with this image in my head:

CIMG00721.jpg

Nevertheless, made it home safe and sound. No problems at all (unless you count 10 mpg as a problem).

SWMBO just called, she'll be home in 15 minutes. Wish me luck....

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Congrats on that awsome beauty!
Wow..That picture of the boat in the field gives me the hebbie-geebies!:eek:

paparoof

Congrats on that awsome beauty!
Wow..That picture of the boat in the field gives me the hebbie-geebies!:eek:

Yeah - good thing that never happened to you....

SWMBO is home. We just climbed into the boat with the Golden Retriever and toasted our new beauty with a Spotted Cow, tossed around a few names, discussed what to do with the 14-footer (sell it for more than I paid for this boat), ran through a list of waters we've never been able to go out on before but we CAN NOW....

I even told her that the motor could possibly be little more than an anchor - and she never so much as rolled her eyes.

Guess I better start reading the motor manual.

Oh by the way, I've already had no less than half a dozen compliments from passers-by. Within an hour of buying the boat, we were at a gas station putting air in the trailer tires and my son overheard two guys walking past: "dood, that's a cooool boat", "yeah that thing's friggin awesome".

I'm pretty damned happy right now.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

SLides pretty far eh ? .. Kool !!!

(lucky)

hardway to clean the barnacles off

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I really want to hear the outcome on that motor! I think it will make the difference between a good deal on that boat and a totally obscene, ridiculous, screaming good deal on that boat. Either way, you still got a sweet ride there!:D:D