exhaust bellows fell off !!!

billgabbert1

Seaman Apprentice
My exhaust bellows fell off and the rib that the hose clamp tightens on is corroded away what do I do ? Can I still use it with out the exhaust bellows on there? It is a aq170a with a 270 outdrive? Was going fishing in the morning now I don?t know? I heard that it?s purpose is to keep exhaust smell away from transom but would like some opinions. the other bellows are all good and I read from other post that this is the least significant one

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: exhaust fellows fell off !!!

The bellows are there for a reason...if you could use it without it, then the engineers who designed the motor wouldn't have put them there.

Replace them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Going to be noisier for sure but won't affect performance much unless the exhaust can somehow go over the prop and cause a cavitation problem. Sounds like you are pretty much stuck until you replace an expensive item. Show us a picture of what you are up against here.

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine ran all summer without it. Not saying that's right but I like the way it sounds on plane. It's a Volvo 275/5.7 bayliner Capri. When at idle it's underwater anyWay just like the exhaust outlet on the drive. When not on plane you will notice nothing but a little more bubbling.:) is your boat ok to go fishing? Should you go fishing? I don't know. I would and wouldn't even think twice. order bellows next week and put it on when you get it. The upper bellows must never ever be allowed to fall off or crack. It protects the drive shaft/u-joints. I've learned one thing here on iboats, there's the right way and all the other ways. :)

NHGuy

Captain

Tommy your last sentence is gold!

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey nhguy,you want to know what else is gold? The 9 bucks I spent on pipefittings and 1 hour to make myself a raw water inlet, then the hole I cut in my hull with a sawzall! Haha no more overheating issues with my 275 Volvo.. :) I can't wait to take pics and post that. Works like a champ!

Philster

Captain

The bellows are there for a reason...if you could use it without it, then the engineers who designed the motor wouldn't have put them there.

Replace them.

Well, the reason the "engineers" designed them (exhaust bellows) was to reduce noise at all speeds. Exhaust bellows, like numerous other parts, can be replaced and/or maintained at the discretion of the owner at no cost to safety.

For example, should a CD Player break on a boat, the owner can opt to leave it that way. If graphics get chipped or faded, the owner can leave them that way. If the exhaust bellows goes kaput, the owner can leave it kaput.

News Flash: Not all parts on a boat are designed by engineers. Sometimes, marketing guys design stuff, because when they make a sales video and try to sell the boat to a certain target group of buyers, they might determine that certain buyers would like the engine to be hush at all speeds.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: exhaust bellows fell off !!!

As far as I know, the flapper on the outdrive exhaust port helps minimize water reversion. At least on the 280, that's the purpose of the external flap. Seems to me that the flap, and thus the bellows and connection to the outdrive serves a usefull purpose.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, the reason the "engineers" designed them (exhaust bellows) was to reduce noise at all speeds. Exhaust bellows, like numerous other parts, can be replaced and/or maintained at the discretion of the owner at no cost to safety.

For example, should a CD Player break on a boat, the owner can opt to leave it that way. If graphics get chipped or faded, the owner can leave them that way. If the exhaust bellows goes kaput, the owner can leave it kaput.

News Flash: Not all parts on a boat are designed by engineers. Sometimes, marketing guys design stuff, because when they make a sales video and try to sell the boat to a certain target group of buyers, they might determine that certain buyers would like the engine to be hush at all speeds.

Thank you so much for that educated, well thought-out post. You really showed me, I feel embarassed and ashamed to have submitted that post in hope of helping a guy fix something small now before it could turn into something big later. Next time I'll butt out and let you shine your expertise on us all.

Oh wait...the examples you gave were cosmetic things, not mechanical...maybe I'm not as dumb as you attempted to make me

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The guys weekend is not ruined though.. He could still go boating if he wanted. However 4 bangers sound shatty with open exhaust IMO. Which is not worth 2 cents here.

billgabbert1

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the input guys
i got it fixed!!!
game on salmon here i come going out at 4:00am
wish me luck
nothing's like crossing the Humboldt bar at daylite with 300 other boats it's going to be crazy people are sleeping in there truck's at the boat launch. this is the first full salmon season in three years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Good luck. Post some pictures of any fish you catch.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

hell yeah man...have a blast...glad you got it fixed!

Philster

Captain

Thank you so much for that educated, well thought-out post. You really showed me, I feel embarassed and ashamed to have submitted that post in hope of helping a guy fix something small now before it could turn into something big later. Next time I'll butt out and let you shine your expertise on us all.

Oh wait...the examples you gave were cosmetic things, not mechanical...maybe I'm not as dumb as you attempted to make me

No, the problem is that you implied in your first post that he could not use the boat. That is misinformation.

You staked your position, and it would be wrong to allow misinformation to go unchallenged.

Philster

Captain

As far as I know, the flapper on the outdrive exhaust port helps minimize water reversion. At least on the 280, that's the purpose of the external flap. Seems to me that the flap, and thus the bellows and connection to the outdrive serves a usefull purpose.

Is there a flap on that underwater exhaust?

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Preach on Brother Philster...you rock! :cool:
Some of the stuff I read here slays me. Stuff you "better not do" cause its a boat! The manual says this and that...the manual needs to say more in some places and less in others. Special greases...engineer this or that...

My older brother is a mech. engineer...builds robots...he's crazy smart but long time ago he asked me why his car started running funny, vibration, no power...he never changed plugs in a car he drove for 10 years...umm cause you're running on 2 cylinders ;)

Love ya Tom (brother) but I had to tell the story to prove this point...
Higher education without common sense breeds morons...

Good Luck Bill and hope you kill the salmon!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for all the input guys
i got it fixed!!!
game on salmon here i come going out at 4:00am
wish me luck
nothing's like crossing the Humboldt bar at daylite with 300 other boats it's going to be crazy people are sleeping in there truck's at the boat launch. this is the first full salmon season in three years.

Stay warm and safe - GOOD LUCK and have fun!