Help! Ideas to reduce wind on passenger?

Expidia

Commander
Oops, from the title . . . bad wording, so don't bother to tell me cut down on the beans for the passenger :p

Short of buying another new boat (one with a dual console) anyone have any ideas on what I might be able to add on to this 2007 Lund side console boat to extend my season a little as it begins to get colder in the Northeast.
And to also use it next season in the chilly early Spring.

This boats too small for Lund to offer a stock front enclosure like they offer for their other models.

I know I could have a canvas shop make some material up to snap over the bow and to extend to the bottom of the windshield which would cut that area that lets the wind through. And then they could make a window that could hang from the bimini and attach to the windshield on my side.

Problem is how to fasten it to the passenger side with no console there? I guess clear plastic could hang from the top of the bimini and snap to the floor and to the left side of the boat for more support. But I don't know how sturdy this arrangement would be.

I'm sure if I went to a boat canvas shop for something custom made I'd be looking at $600 plus. Before I would make too big of an investment like that, I'd probably sell this 2 month old rig and move up to a 16 foot Lund model with a dual console. But I really like this boat and don't think my Saab 9-5 can pull anything much heavier than I'm pulling now. About 1000 lbs is the cars tow limit.

Someday, if I force myself to get an SUV, then it would be no problem to move up in size. But the two things I realize that I miss now after I've owned this boat for the last two months is #1 a dual windshield (Even when it's warm Wifey is starting to hate bugs in her teeth :D). #2 Is that I miss is a built in gas tank. I get decent range with the 40 hp 4 stroke EFI, but a 6.5 gal tank is still annoying to be at the mercy of finding an open gas dock sometimes and there no room for the holding area to house a bigger tank. Another plus and a gas saver is that a built in tank also takes the weight off the transom by spreading the weight over the center of the boat.

Lund's bigger models have 19 gal tanks built in which now I realize would be real sweet to have.

So for now, anyone have any ideas on what they may have done to their boat or might have seen what someone else has done or added to their boat like an front enclosure or some type of rigging a passenger console with a windshield like my starboard side has. Anything that might cut down on the wind hitting the passenger.

She thinks my sweater, gloves and a motorcycle helmet idea with the full face shield will ruin her hair :eek:

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas appreciated. Or maybe someone out there knows a supplier of what I'm looking to add on. A removable passenger console would be ideal, but probably too pricey.

I was trying to post some pic examples of what I'm trying to add to my rig.

? on photo resizing: I'm trying to bring down the size of 620 x 280. Photobucket says it resized them to those dimensions, yet when I copy the IMG code and paste to this message the pic still comes out full size? Anyone know whats wrong. Is this site saving the old size somehow?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help! Ideas to reduce wind on passenger?

What's with these monster photos???

Size that ratzakratza thing down.

Have you considered slowing down??

Expidia

Commander

What's with these monster photos???

Size that ratzakratza thing down.

Have you considered slowing down??

Sorry, it was suggested to use photobucket. I thought it resized the pics automatically for websites as that was one of the resize choices. I'll resize them!

So let me get to your intelligent and helpful response. So if I go 5 mph and the wind starts blowing at 15 mph . . . that's 20 mph in yo face!

10 mph plus that same 15 mph wind, darn that's 25 mph!

Now if there are thunder clouds on their way and I'm trying to get off the lake at 5 or 10 mph, your suggestion probably won't help me off that lake in time.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hoodie, passenger faces the stern. that's what i do.

cmcpherson

Banned

sell the boat quickly!!! It is not for you!!!

Expidia

Commander

hoodie, passenger faces the stern. that's what i do.

Good idea here . . . But she likes to see ahead to brace herself in case we see a big wave coming. When the wind kicks up the waves get big depending on which way the winds blowing on the river. She had a bad experience once in my smaller boat. She was sitting there with her eyes closed and we hit a wave and she came down on her coccis bone. Hurt for months after that episode. I saw the wave coming, but it was with a 25 hp rental motor I was testing out on my small 14 foot aluminum utility boat and I was of course going too fast and slammed down off the crest of a wave. She doesn't trust me anymore to keep her eyes closed :redface:

I like passengers to be aware of whats ahead anyway, especially when on rivers . . . the more eyes the better to spot floating logs or partially submerged ones.

Sitting backwards is better suited on train rides!

cmcpherson

Banned

take my advice, boating ain't your thing...

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

take my advice, boating ain't your thing...

You've said that twice now with absolutely no reason or justification. His passenger is the one affected by the wind. He has a windshield to sit behind, what he is attempting to do is solve the problem of wind beating up the passenger without selling his current boat. So your "advice" doesn't make any sense and the silly double posts aren't necessary.

cmcpherson

Banned

Well, since my advice was completely ignored, I don't think my double post was "silly" at all. As far as backing up my advice, the guy can't figure out how to make his wife happy, obvioulsy he needs to get out of boating. Rule #1 in boating: if the wife ain't happy, figure out how to make her happy immediately or else get out of boating. I do have one other suggestion, if sitting backwards and closing your eyes doesn't work (which of course are realllllly silly suggestions), leave the wife at home. I think this would be called, "killing two birds with one stone."

bekosh

Lieutenant

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas appreciated. Or maybe someone out there knows a supplier of what I'm looking to add on. A removable passenger console would be ideal, but probably too pricey.
How difficult would it be to build one yourself?
3 pieces of plywood & some stainless quick release fittings. Maybe some hinges to allow you to fold it up. Add an aftermarket windshield and you'd be set.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Keep a brain bucket with face shield handy to offer to passengers who don't like wind in the face and tongue wagging...a motorcycle helmet in other words. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Sell your side console and get a hard top cruiser. Or maybe a submarine. I hear they don't have wind issues. :D

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

You could use one of these. :D

Attachments

• face shield.JPG
    face shield.JPG
    6.3 KB · Views: 0

cmcpherson

Banned

Ok, now we are talking!!!! Come on people, it is a BOAT, there is wind associated with BOATING. If you don't like heat, get out of the kitchen! If you don't like bugs in your teeth, the face shield works, but how about a full welder's mask...

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

The welder's mask would be good when heading into the sun. No sunglasses required. :D:D

cmcpherson

Banned

The welder's mask would be good when heading into the sun. No sunglasses required. :D:D

Yes, good point never even considered the sun aspect. I guess that I subconsciously thinking about Gary on Howard Stern and when they make him wear a welders mask when a hot chick is around. So, depending what your wife looks like there might be other benefits too...

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't see any photo of his boat? Is it there?

Anyways, MANY people would not enjoy a boat ride with no windshield, me included most of the time. That's why boats have them! When it's getting colder out even more so. I don't think this mean he has to sell his boat because his wife is normal.

Without a picture it's hard for me to think of any solution, but I'd assume you'd have to make something rather than buy an off-the-shelf solution. It wouldn't seem to hard to make a removable wind deflector type thing to pop on when needed.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A dodger would be the way to go, it ain't gonna be cheap though. Friend of mine had one made for his Lund and it's awesome.

It's like this:
22BIMINI-DODGER.jpg

thenotsofreeboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My boat has an aftermarket windshield they are called sun glasses, now if i could find some with wipers that would be even better. The wiping with the finger is distracting. But seriously I think if it is uncomfortable to be out on the boat I wouldn't be out in it. Let her drive behind the windshield and you brave the wind is my solution.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think your wife (and therefore you) will be happier in a boat that offers a little more wind protection. Something small like this should do the job:

dsn-cab.jpg

A compact tabloid cruiser has features usually found only in much larger craft. A full walk-around deck... trunk cabin with berths for two... hardtop shelter... and you can build it by the Stitch-N-Glue Fast-G method as described in more detail in our catalog.

This is one of the most completely patterned boats of its size. More than 100 square feet of patterns provide a contour for virtually every non-rectangular part. Yes, including all planking, decking, floorboards, transom, breasthook, etc. ... a complete pattern package to eliminate complex dimensional layouts. Only standard 4' x 8' plywood panels are used. Cabin layouts are furnished in the plans but, as an optional extra, Full Size Patterns for the cabin are available. In addition, you receive complete material listings with fastening schedules for both hull and cabin. Complete scaled drawings with step-by-step written text carry you through all phases of building. First-time builders will appreciate the attention to detail provided, but most of all, building with Fast-G makes boatbuilding easy.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=503