Battery Charger check?

2003 Pro V

Cadet
I have a used 2003 Lund Pro V 1900. I replaced the trolling motor batteries and when I plug in the on board charger it starts to charge then shows 4 flashing red lights?

Any Sugestions on how to trouble shoot my charger?

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Battery Charger check?

I'll guess that the charger is sensing a fault, (like a short) if the batteries are almost dead.
What model charger? Do you have the manual to look up what 4 flashing lights is indicating?

2003 Pro V

Cadet

I have a lund Pro Charger International 3 bank charger. The blinking 4 lights indicate the charger is over heating. I have a 24 volt trolling motor and the 3rd lead is run back to the starting battery.

Just didn't know if there was a way to be sure the charger is bad before I replace it with a new one?

The charger works for a few hours then goes to show it is over heating?

My First year with the boat and the dealer isn't much help?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Turn the charger off and let it cool down. Turn it on and before it starts to blink the LEDs measure the voltage at each output. It should be above 12.6 at each battery. If not, it is not working or you have one or more bad batteries. If voltage showns normal, have the batteries load tested. Are you currently having any trouble with them. Motor start ok? Dash voltmeter reading normal? Troller working normally?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How and where is the charger mounted? Does it have good ventilation?

2003 Pro V

Cadet

The charger is mounted in a compartment in the bow of the boat and the hatch is open while charging.

I believe the charger may be on its last leg?

The boat has a battery test switch and one battery is showing 50% While the other is showing 75%

When installed they were both at 75%

Thanks for the reply!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I have a lund Pro Charger International 3 bank charger. The blinking 4 lights indicate the charger is over heating. I have a 24 volt trolling motor and the 3rd lead is run back to the starting battery.

Just didn't know if there was a way to be sure the charger is bad before I replace it with a new one?

The charger works for a few hours then goes to show it is over heating?

My First year with the boat and the dealer isn't much help?

Might check with Lund before you go any further. They might have some particular insight.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What is the condition of the batteries? If they are too dead the charger might be working too hard to try and charge them. If the charger has a low amp range set it on that until the batteries come up part way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is the condition of the batteries? If they are too dead the charger might be working too hard to try and charge them. If the charger has a low amp range set it on that until the batteries come up part way.
Good point. It may not be the charger at all here.

What is the voltage at the batteries while charging? What is the voltage after the charger quits and you turn off the charger?

2003 Pro V

Cadet

The Batteries are brand new and I decided to just update the charger with a new one instead of sending the one out for repair!

Thanks for all the input!