Where do I go from here????

buckstop108

Seaman
:(I did the compression check as instructed on my 1992 85 HP evinrude backtroller and this is what I have.
TOP PORT : 127
BOTTOM PORT : 126
TOP STAR B : 126
BOTTOM STAR B : 125

I checked the spark and I am getting spark on all cyliders. The bottom two plugs are clean with very, very little carbon if any and they are wet with gas smell. The top two very black and not so wet. Now a little history. I first thought I had a water problem and I might have I think I have that addressed. I think I got all the water out of the tank or at least the vast majority of it and added a treatment, starbrite. I added a water separator and new 3/8 lines , changed the filter and clean out the bottom bowls of both carbs. Sprayed them down with carb cleaner and let some injection cleaner sit for a while then flushed out the bowls again. She is still running ruff and sounds like she is missing. She won't stay at idle under 1000 rpms and a lot of unburned fuel still coming from the exhaust. Along with a lot of smoke.
The bottom carb has fuel coming out of the jets and a port that is at the top of the botttom carb. The top carb didn't appear to have fuel dumping out as did the bottom, from the jets or that port. What is my next step before I bring this to a pro?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where do I go from here????

Bottom carb has a problem with the float or float valve.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Your compression is great. When you cleaned your carbs, did you fully rebuild them, following a manual, cleaning out all jets and orifices properly.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Yep, time to rebuild carbs with new needle and seats and gaskets.

buckstop108

Seaman

No I didn't, I am not very mechanical. That is way beyond my abilities. So I'm guessing that the fuel shold not be pouring out the way it is?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No. Best thing to do is to get yourself a manual. It really isnt that difficult to rebuild them. Most of the work is in getting them off! With a factory manual, basic tools, and the use of this forum, you should be ok. Watch this, it will give you an idea of what you will be doing.

"http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/TMDsVideoChronicle2.wmv"

buckstop108

Seaman

What do think two new carbs would cost? And how readily available are they?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

not carbs, just a rebuild kit. Very readily available.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

The very least little bit of trash can get into those ports on them carbs and clog them up. I agree with HighTrim that the carbs are not hard to work on at all. I got lucky when I just took mine off and soaked them in carb cleaner for a night that I got away without buying a carb kit (and there ain't no telling when they been rebuilt last). I took the carbs out of the cleaner with float and needle removed I used an air hose and blow gun with a foot ball needle to blow through the ports/jets, I got all the corrosion off of the carb and out of the bowl then I slapped them back together and back on the motor and it fired right up. My motor went from not running when I bought it to running in just a day. If you have the carbs back apart again check them ports, but you should be getting all of this in the new carb kit if I'm not mistaken.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

What do think two new carbs would cost? And how readily available are they?

Like others said, you don't need new carbs, just a thorough cleaning and replacement of some parts, a rebuild.

If you really don't want to rebuild them yourself (an entirely reasonable decision), find a trusted mechanic or shop. The cost to rebuild really won't be huge - and you can probably get an estimate. They can do a general tune up also.

buckstop108

Seaman

Thank you all for the help this is a great board. I will try to get my hands on a good shop manual and take a look at it. It's already broken I guess I can't make it any worse.