Rotted Transom. What would you do with this boat?

Spyder1234

Cadet
Hey guys I'm kinda new here and need some situation assessment help. A decision needs to be made and I want to make the right one for the right reasons and hope I'm not the only one that has been stuck in a situation like this.

The thought of buying another boat is not an option for me. But anyway, here's a little background on the boat itself and what I have into it. I have an 1987, 26' Wellcraft-Nova Spyder with twin 350 Mags and alpha one drives. It was a bank repo. The bank sat on this boat for nearly three years before I bought it. It had only 267 hours on it at the time. The defaulted note owed on the boat at the time was $22,000.

The folks at the marina would pull the boat out every year and let it sit in the water (salt) tied to the dock, (without a for sale sign on it) uncovered all summer and then store it again. The bank confessed that they were paying the local marina $3,200 per year in storage, slip and maintenance fees and had concerns that they were not only pricy, but not on the up and up about making sure the boat was always seen as "For Sale".

The bank president incated the he would rather take a hit on the boat rather than pay for another year of storage. (they already had paid $9,600 in storage fees thus far)
Long story short. Just for the hell of it, I made an offer of 5,300.00 for the boat and trailer. After the guy at the bank stopped laughing and to my amazement, they took the offer, and I took her home that day. That was over years ago and have had her ever since. The old girl has served me well. I mean she owes me nothing and most likely is not worth anything to anyone else.

The ONLY thing this boat needs is the transom. Everything else was replaced years ago after I bought it. It didn't need it but I replaced both engines, manifolds, full closed cooling, aluminum hi-rise intakes. new starters, alts, carbs, props, Y-tubes, interior and gauges anyway. What you see here is the way she has looked since then. I remove the interiors every fall and keep inside and it is still in mint condition. So it needs nothing, but a transom of course. This will give you the "general" condition of the boat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHfmj-rtIroWhen I yank the engines & transom plates and get a closer look, I'll upload more detailed pics and video.

I have done quite a bit of research on this subject and am aware that's a huge undertaking. Particularly for this boat. But I wanted to know from those that have done it, was it worth it to you? and why did you do it? And if not, why?

Any input would be gratefully appreciated...

Spyder

Spyder1234

Cadet
Re: Rotted Transom. What would you do with this boat?

I should probably proof read before I submit to the thread. sorry guys....

I bought this boat 10 years ago. October 12, 2000.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

While I have yet to do a complete restore, I have done 2 transoms (not nearly as well as I will do the next one after finding this forum) and I can uneqivocally say for me the answer is not only yes, but HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!

You could hire it done for probably $2,500 and I would still say it would definitely be worth it. If it were me, I'd redo it with Seacast myself. Be the last time it would ever have to be done, and the way you are taking care of it, that boat EASILY has 20 more years left in it.

Beautiful boat, BTW. You stole it, and I would venture to say you will never get a deal like that again!

JMO, best of luck, and let us know what you decide. I bet you could sell it to a number of guys on here, if you decide you don't want it...

jonesg

Admiral

While I have yet to do a complete restore, I have done 2 transoms (not nearly as well as I will do the next one after finding this forum) and I can uneqivocally say for me the answer is not only yes, but HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!

You could hire it done for probably $2,500 and I would still say it would definitely be worth it. If it were me, I'd redo it with Seacast myself. Be the last time it would ever have to be done, and the way you are taking care of it, that boat EASILY has 20 more years left in it.

Beautiful boat, BTW. You stole it, and I would venture to say you will never get a deal like that again!

JMO, best of luck, and let us know what you decide. I bet you could sell it to a number of guys on here, if you decide you don't want it...

Agree with all the above, composite transom is the way to fly, it will save on surgery, you might not have to remove the engines.
It only seems daunting, once you have a transom under your belt its not so hard. Watch the video.
http://www.transomrepair.com/zk/how-to-pour-seacast-video.shtml

Spyder1234

Cadet

I'm not sure how the SeaCast systems work. This boat has a bilge liner in it. See pic of another Spyder bilge liner. below. The motor mounts are located under the liner. I went through the opening with a BFH and the wood & glass there seems to be pretty solid. Didn't even put a dent in it. I won't know for sure what's in there until I take out the liner.

The other issue is this boat is it has a cockpit liner in it and extends to about 3" from the transom. Which means to get to the bilge liner out and access the transom, the cockpit liner must come out. In order for the liner to come out the entire top of the boat must come off. Even if I elect to "cut" the cockpit liner an get it out it must be done to get the bilge liner out. Decisions.... decisions.... Not where I wanted to be at my age................

But with SeaCast, don't you have to have access to the top of the transom??

Attachments

• spyder_044_500x378.jpg
    spyder_044_500x378.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man that girl is to sweet to not do the transom it will last most lkely the rest of your life and for the price you paid for it man! I give you that right now!!!!!!!!!!!! go for it. And by the way great tune to the you tube vid.

Spyder1234

Cadet

Thanks for the compliments guys.... I'm grateful. It's good to hear that taking care of something really shows to others. I really do love this boat, and I never taken it anywhere without someone giving her a compliment.... It's hard to believe she's almost 25 years old.

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would do it. Are you 100% sure on your floor/stringers? In any case, I think you are one of the few whose boats cash value will be more than they have put into it! Most of us dump 3-5K making a $2000 boat!

Terry

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I say you should absolutely NOT bother fixing the transom! Give it to me and I'll fix it.:D:D:D

jonesg

Admiral

I'm not sure how the SeaCast systems work. This boat has a bilge liner in it. See pic of another Spyder bilge liner. below. The motor mounts are located under the liner. I went through the opening with a BFH and the wood & glass there seems to be pretty solid. Didn't even put a dent in it. I won't know for sure what's in there until I take out the liner.

The other issue is this boat is it has a cockpit liner in it and extends to about 3" from the transom. Which means to get to the bilge liner out and access the transom, the cockpit liner must come out. In order for the liner to come out the entire top of the boat must come off. Even if I elect to "cut" the cockpit liner an get it out it must be done to get the bilge liner out. Decisions.... decisions.... Not where I wanted to be at my age................

But with SeaCast, don't you have to have access to the top of the transom??

Cut the top of the transom open with a grinder and steel/diamond wheel.
Then just follow the video. Bilge liner would stay in place, remove outdrives only.

The alternative is pull everything.
If the stringers are shot then you'll have to gut it all out anyway, but if the stringers are ok? Composite is the way I'd go.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Love that boat! Fix the transom and enjoy!

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Spyder-

Been thinking about your post and went back and reread it. The ONE thing that would bug me is that they acknowledged the boat sat out, exposed, 3 seasons in a row. That would make me worry SLIGHTLY about the floor/deck/stringers. If you are worried about it too, then you are right, the liners would have to come out, the boat would have to be split, and you'd need to remove the floor and check/replace the stringers.

Later in the post you said pretty emphatically that the transom was the ONLY problem. I'm telling you man, if that's is true, DO THE TRANSOM, you will never be sorry, I bet! Again, I bet you could pay to have it done in the $2500 range. (Heck, I can name 5 guys on here that are capable of doing it from what I've seen them do on their own boats, and I know a couple of them are either out of work or between jobs from reading their posts. You might be able to hire one of them to do it.)

I looked at your video again, and man, I'm begging you, either do it, or sell it to someone on here who will. That boat is AWESOME! I know I'd LOVE to have it! I can't afford it, but I'd love to have it!

Best of Luck, whatever you decide!

Spyder1234

Cadet

Jacket:

I am pretty sure it's isolated to the transom. Not 100 % as of yet. I have reason to believe the trim tab screws (all of them) were leaking in from the rear as well as the swim platform lag bolts.

If you look at the pic of the other spyder in the previous post, there is a 6" round access cover between the engines where the bilge pump is. When I looked in there I can see the motor mount stringers. (inside mount stringers only) They still had the red paint on them as well as the bilge floor. After beating on it with a hammer I couldn't break the glass. Next I used an 11.5 H.P 3000 PSI power washer with a 15 degree nozzle and got within an inch or so directly on the motor mount stringer. All it did was take of some of the original red paint on the stringer about ten inches in length. I figured if I hit a soft spot it would cut right into it or push things in a bit. The glass looks smooth and sealed along the side of the mount. But when it comes to fiberglass, I don't have a clue.

My son is going to bring his video cam over. As soon as the rain lets up I will get a close up, clean vid shot and a little more light on the subject and post it before tearing into things too quickly. Depending what I'm in for, another concern may be whether or not the store will be able to keep enough beer in their coolers. I am not looking forward to this at all.

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about I just give you your money back you paid for it and call it a day! :D

Just kidding! That is one sweet boat and I say FIX IT!

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seriously, look around on here and see if there isn't another person even remotely in your area who has done or is doing one. I KNOW there are a couple in Tennessee/Kentucky. I know I'd like to have a "buddy to question as I was going. I know I will look for one when I finally get a boat to do this fall.

This forum is AMAZING. If you will post pics, I have pretty much seen that people come out of the woodwork with tips/suggestions/cheering!

There is a guy on here doing a Nescher (sp???) ski boat, and he did Seacast and has VERY detailed pics/descriptions. His thread is what I will use to do mine when the time comes. The link posted in this thread is good tooo, I have read it. He is finishing up his, it will be on the first couple of pages. WARNING, it is like 55 pages! I read them all in one night, was up till 2 a.m.!!! But he has done a FANTASTIC job, and rebuilt the entire boat, painted, etc....

What you described on your stringers is pretty accurate for being sound, from what I've read on here. Also, the area you are talking about is where you usually find damage first, so I think you may be right. If it is transom only, I really don't think it will be AS bad as you think to do. Not saying it will be easy or fun, just not as bad as I think you are picturing.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

The guy doing the Nescher, is archbuilder, The thread name is 16' Nescher ski boat restore. Another one is 1962 Arkansas Traveler, by Mick110. Both used seacast along with some others. Very good reading.
Good luck and fix the boat.
Bob

Spyder1234

Cadet

From what I have read on here I agree with you about this board. The information is never ending and the people are great......

The problem with me is I'm impatient when it comes to things I know very little about. Engines, drives and or any other component on boats are no problem. A few years ago I was getting ready to head out for the day (second time of the season) . I always run the boat on the muffs before I head out just to check things out. The front crank seal on the port engine was leaking oil. Not much, but a leak nonetheless. It was 6:AM on a Sunday. I had spare seals, drive gaskets everything I needed. I called in an emergency at the local tow truck company. Had the motor ready to be removed before he got here. Changed both crank seals while the engine was hanging in the air. Dropped it back in checked the alignment and was ready to go before my girlfriend woke up. It cost me a $195.00 wrecker charge but I was backing the boat off the trailer by 10:30 AM!

But when it comes to structural work, it makes me a bit nervy..... I am going to have to learn to go a bit slower read the threads you have provided and digest all of the information.

Looks like I have some reading to do.

Spyder

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You haven't said 'why' you think the transom is bad. If you haven't already, have a knowledgeable person check it with a moisture meter and a LBH. You want to tap gently and hear a hollow 'thonk', you don't want to hear a dead 'thud' ... :cool:

Spyder1234

Cadet

I noticed some stress cracks around the STB transom plate. I just used a screwdriver handle and tapped all around the plate area. You can tell from the tone there is nothing in the area just below and to the right of the transom plate. I can push in the glass by hand. The area seems to be about 6 to 10 inches in dia. I am going to take a vid so you will be able to see (and hear) what I may be up against and how bad it might be.

Spyder1234

Cadet

Hey Guys

Well, went out in the rain today and took some things apart and looked around some more. There is no doubt the top of the boat will have to come of or I will need to cut the cockpit liner.

Only one of the two can happen. I found a photo on line of another Spyder and they elected to cut the liner in order to get it out. Not sure if I want to do that. I know it can be repaired when it's put back in, however, with the top of the boat still attached I think it may limit the possibility of using Seacast or similar product. There's not enough room with the cap on to access the top of the transom. Take a look here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfhTxVTvB4I

I'm open to any suggestions............