Look what made its way to my driveway!

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer
Well she's finally in the driveway! You may have read my other posts before getting the boat about it. Well after a long couple weeks of waiting, she's here. A 16' Starcraft SS with 85hp Johnson Seahorse!
Can't wait for this summer, I really don't have to do much, but make the captins chair a bit shorter for me to sit in. She runs great, and everything works right.
Of course this thread wouldn't be right without pictures so here they are!

Now I just have to go transfer the registration and it'll be time for a SPLASH!

IMG_6692.jpg

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6689.jpg

IMG_6687.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Look what made its way to my driveway!

More Pictures...

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

IMG_6681.jpg

You can see my tow vechical in this one. A 2007 PT Cruiser :) The lake is not that far and I won't be going over 10mph so it'll have to do for right now. I'll be getting a truck soon. The ramp is not steep either.

IMG_6680.jpg

The awesome running beast of a Johnson

So yeah I'm excited.
I also got rid of that old glassie I had.
I made out ok $150 for the outdrive and had someone come pick up the trailer for $50 today, just to get it out of here! I'll try and sell parts off the engine too.

Thanks for looking!

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice SS looks good! hows the transome look? it looks in good shape.

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Daltonxj, transom and floor are both very solid, not really any rot or spongey feeling. Only somewhat bad spot is the tip of the open bow.

Forgot to mention that I also got the canvas top that goes over the middle of the boat. Still original like the bow cover, just a bit tight.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet! good find.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking rig. I always like the looks of Johnson's in those yrs. Should be plenty of power. Good luck with it.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well done Boat Guy!!! Looks like anything that will be done to that rig will be because you WANT to rather than NEED to! Man that must be a good feeling knowing that you can just hit the water like that!

That Johnson looks to be in super condition, I have heard very good things about that size and vintage. That is one heck of an upgrade from the OMC Stringer! Like nightmare to dream come true!!!

Have Fun!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome officially to the club!! You went from probably the hardest boat to work on to the easiest. You'll love that whole combo. Looks to be in perfectly servicable condition. I like that walkway on the trailer.

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

WOW!!!! nice one, only bad thing I have to say is my keyboard on my laptop is all messy from the drool. ;)

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Great looking rig. I always like the looks of Johnson's in those yrs. Should be plenty of power. Good luck with it.

Thanks motorpskykler, I think it should be enough :D I also like that the motor actually feels solid and isn't painted blue.

Well done Boat Guy!!! Looks like anything that will be done to that rig will be because you WANT to rather than NEED to! Man that must be a good feeling knowing that you can just hit the water like that!

That Johnson looks to be in super condition, I have heard very good things about that size and vintage. That is one heck of an upgrade from the OMC Stringer! Like nightmare to dream come true!!!

Have Fun!!!

Thanks Jas, I will definatally be cutting down the seat, but that is becuse I want to ;) maybe a radio too.
Other than that I'm good to go, way better off than that other boat that would have easily taken over 5 months or more to redo, I still wouldn't have minded the project I just want to be on the water.
Like I said before, at least this engine isn't painted blue. (that stringer scared me the more I look at it, and it's still in my garage)

Welcome officially to the club!! You went from probably the hardest boat to work on to the easiest. You'll love that whole combo. Looks to be in perfectly servicable condition. I like that walkway on the trailer.

Thanks EZ, I'm glad to be apart of it now. You're pretty much one of the ones that persuaded me to go with a Starcraft in my original thread, and I'm sure glad to have found one.
The guy I got it from said that the people before him put the walkway on, he really liked using it to retreive it without having to go swimming.

WOW!!!! nice one, only bad thing I have to say is my keyboard on my laptop is all messy from the drool. ;)

Thanks nukid68, don't worry I've had to clean up my keyboard multiple times after having to wait a couple weeks with only pictures of the boat to suffice. ;)

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Well I just took another closer look at the boat. It'll definatally work for this year no problem, but there are a few things that I'll hopefully address this winter after a nice year of boating.

Things I noticed were:
-Paint on bottom half of the hull starting to peel.
-Theres a couple of caulked in spots on the bow. No breaks on the inside, probally just to stop the seams from leaking.
-Wiring seems to be a bit weird. It's probally just me, because I didn't look at it long enough, but I didn't see a nice switch panel like I had in my previous boat. I saw inline fuses though. I'll check this out a bit more before the first voyage.
-A couple of soft spots in the floor are near the tip of the bow and back of the bildge area.
-Theres that great foam in the bildge, but it's not wet! :eek:

Those are pretty much the only things that stood out to me. It's not stopping me from enjoying the boat this summer though ;) (If I haven't stressed this enough)

One other thing learned from this maiden lookaround is to always have the motor tilted all the way up, or it makes the trailer back heavy. I stepped back there and up came the front of the trailer haha.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig! I am impressed at how nicely it has been taken care of all these years. It looks very original(except for the pedestal helm seat of course).

Welcome to the club:)

I do think it is newer than '73 though based on the fact that it has the rubrail the full length of the gunwale rather than a shorter rail just above the waterline like the older ones.

Also the paint style looks like '77-'82. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Congrats on the new boat!:cool:

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

That style looks real close to HA's & mine except the emblem on mine

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

I do think it is newer than '73 though based on the fact that it has the rubrail the full length of the gunwale rather than a shorter rail just above the waterline like the older ones.

Congrats on the new boat!:cool:

Thanks Huron, I just disected the HIN on the registration and it is definatally a '78 ::facepalm:: :) I was going off of some other number that I came up with for some reason.

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gratz on the '78 thought it looked close to ours...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Probably the original motor then.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great looking boat! Love those stripes.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! Great find. It is one of the best finds in Starclub. Looks great. You made the right choice! Congrats!

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Great looking boat! Love those stripes.

Thanks CBGale!

Wow! Great find. It is one of the best finds in Starclub. Looks great. You made the right choice! Congrats!

Thanks Ozenine, I definatally feel like I made the right choice. At one point I was thinking of going with another glasser. :eek: