inline 4 to v8

ok so here's the deal. i want to put a v8 marine motor where my 4cyl is. i know that i need a complete unit to do so. the question i have is will i have to make custome stingers so that the motor will have a place to park itself. The other question is it legal to have e.f.i on a marine motor or why does no one do it.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: inline 4 to v8

You will need an outdrive geared for a V8 as your 4 banger is WAY too low.
Swapping gearsets is more expensive (just the special tools alone are expensive) than buying a new drive.

As for strigers, the engine mounts have to go somewhere - not knowing (or caring) what boat you plan to do this to, probably so.

There are millions of boats out there with Marine EFI system, so dunno where ya got that idea.

Bottom line- It's so expensive to swap a V8 into a boat that had a 4 cylinder your best approach is a 2x2 piece of cardboard and a marker to make a For Sale sign. Put it on the boat and shop for one with the power you desire.

ok then lets talk about supercharging or turbocharging. easy way to gain more hp. its it do a able. the motor i have now is a 2.3l based off the turbo coupe and turbo charging would be easy but i understand that there are requlations requring cooling. anyway around that or would a supercharger be better off.

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Now it's just plain ridiculous......

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't think anyone makes a turbo or supercharger for a marine engine that small. Bomar gave some good advise... Enjoy the boat you have... And start looking for something designed to handle higher speeds and horsepower and when you find the right boat, sell the one you have and buy the other boat. This is by far the least expensive and safest route to faster speeds on the water.

aerwin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cheaper to get a different boat, conversions are way to expensive and your 4 banger is as goods as its gona get. turbo's and superchargers are not even an option for marine use. your boat maynot even be able to handle a v-8 due to how much hp the hull is rated for

they do make superchargers for 4cyl and to say that is ridicouls is a man that has no vision. the only thing stoping me from turbocharging is figureing out how to water cool the turbo with out damaging it. stock 2.3l turbo out of thunderbird would produce 200 hp. a nice jump from 130.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Watercooling the turbo would be siimple. Just run the manifold cooling hose to the turbo and then back to the manifold. How are you going to power the turbo? You need to use a standard marine manifold, and I did not think they were adaptable for turbo use. A supercharger may be easier to fabricate the drive parts...

Do not use non-marine carbs fuel pumps, or electrics. These are an explosion hazard.

erikgreen

Captain

It's doable if you have access to a machine shop and a lot of familiarity with the engines and parts involved.

If you're doing this to save money over a boat with a bigger drive, it won't work. If you're doing it for fun and to hot rod a boat you really love, then by all means go for it.

After reading this board for 9 months now, I've realized that it isn't that people here don't have vision, it's that they followed that vision and paid the price. Now they're trying to keep others from making the same dumb mistakes.

If you ask a question and don't get an answer you like, feel free to walk away, just don't call people names and argue until you get the answer you really want, because folks here are already giving you their best.

Erik

180shabah

Rear Admiral

....stock 2.3l turbo out of thunderbird would produce 200 hp. a nice jump from 130.

This is a boat, that is a car. Turbo lag, while annoying in a car, is a deth sentence in a boat. It will take forever to get on plane(if it does at all), the delay will push the stern deeper as it fights to clim over a larger than normal bow wave.

Nobody is telling you that turbos don't work in boats, they just don't work well. You can't honestly believe that you were the first person in the last century to come up with this novel idea. Others, have, it didn't work like they hoped, and they went with more cubes instead.

If your boat is small and very light, you may be able to pull it off, but ultimately i think you are fighting a losing battle.

If you do decide to do this though, keep us updated, and take lots of pictures.

KaGee

Admiral

Somebody, I believe DonS, posted one time that a turbo charger produced too much heat inside the dog house. :confused:

PowerAddict

Chief Petty Officer

I think it would be cheaper, and more beneficial to supercharge it over turbo it. First of all, fabbing the exhaust pipe off of a marine manifold to the turbo would be more trouble than its worth IMO. If you got a centrifugal charger though, you could easily fab a bracket and work it in with your pulley system. It'd be nothing to put a carb hat on with a little bit of piping. Benefits would be better as the above mentioned turbo lag would not hinder your hole shot. You've got me thinking now. Why not? It'd be fun to try anyway.

tommays

Admiral

I wish i cound find the post with the thunderbird with the twin 3.0 tubro motors

The guy could not WAIT to get rig of it the airbox containing the carb alone was a nightnmare

Tommays

just wanted to say thanks to all those that saw the vision but kept me in reality ck. have forgone the idea of turbo and am looking for other ways to have some more power but not over the top. will kwwp every one posted. thanks again, thomas

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

my understanding is that something like a procharger would work well.... IF you used lower compression pistons, and IF the bottom end would hold up, and IF you're doing to play and to hotrod a boat you love, might make a cool toy. I also understand that for marine application the whole carb has to be pressurized, so to do it right (ie safe), would have to build a box to house the carb and worry about linkages, etc... Cool project, but if not doing it for the fun of doing it, my time is worth something... bet yours is too.

bomar76; you don't care? I'm shocked... so very cold... "not knowing (or caring) what boat you plan to do this to"

i_timmers

Seaman Apprentice

I can see where you can want more power, but can you make dollars and cents converting it make that much sense?

Just glad to see there are people on here, with reality in mind, to keep people in check.

So far, this has been a great place to gather the right info for the do-it-yourself boater. Thanks all!