Problem with 1987 force 50 Motor running problems

Forcebewithu

Cadet
Here is the problem.
I have a 1987 Bayliner with a Force 50 two stroke motor. It was recently repaired the stater and one coil pack. I think the reapir man put a different stater off another boat motor but unsure. One coil pack was replaced. The boat ran great it had set for about 6 months but It was cranked every week I have that knowledge of boats. Everytime it was cranked it idoled great I would let it idol for about 5-10 mins and shut it off. My girlfriend and I took it out for the first time to test it out it ran perfect no skipping or missing. Me and a buddy took it out 2 days later got it out and it fired right up like it always did and off we go half way across the lake it died completely when I say it died it seemed like I turned it off by the key. I got it to run in nuetral with alittle bit of throttle but would not idol. Now thats the question I'm here to ask from you. Now I can't get it crank up at all it turns over good it has good compression. What else can I check or look for?
Thanks

One more I forgot to add is that while trieng to crank it up it floods out the bowl it starts to spit gas out of the front of the carburetor.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Problem with 1987 force 50 Motor running problems

Start with checking fuel before and after the fuel pump. sounds like you have a fuel issue. Is the primer ball gatting hard?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My guess would be fuel filter.

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I meant fuel pump diaphragm.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

Start with checking fuel before and after the fuel pump. sounds like you have a fuel issue. Is the primer ball gatting hard?

Yeah the ball seems to be harder than usual. The boat sat for about 2 years before I got it and fixed it.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

the fuel pump Diaphagm has been recently replaced I think I was not there when the repair man did the work. Is it like paper almost?

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My experience is that they are more similar to thin rubber.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

Yes it was recently replaced and it will not start but floods out the carb.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would just clean the carb, after i made sure you had spark. Once you are sure you do then try cleaning the carb. Should get ya back out. Oh...and get the crap out of your tank if you see any..prob. what clogged it up if its indeed clogged.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

Thanks any way that I can check the spark my self to make it is a good spark?

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well pull of a plug boot and stick a screwdriver in there. Then hold it close as in a 1/4" from the side of the motor. If you see spark that is blue, then you should be fine. If your spark is white then it should still run...but may need replacing. And if you see no spark at all...well theres your problem. Just be sure the side of the motor you are holding it up to is metal. Not a plastic cover or something. And of course...not a painted surface.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

The sater that is on my boat is from a 1995 50 hp force is it interchangeable? there is two wires cut on it because it is not for this motor.
One mechanic told me that it may have cause it to burn up a coil pack because it got to hot.

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dunno...but you could try to find out by seeing if the part numbers are the same for yours as the one that was put on. Then you will know for sure., or at least have an idea if it will work or not.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

The numbers do not match. Could this burned up a coil pack or this is the problem different stater is why it shut down and would not run properly

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, thinking here...you said it ran great for a little while then I guess you mean you let it sit for six months.. if it st that long even when started every week, you could have other issues. Like I said before, I would Check to see if you indeed do have spark then clean the carbs like I said.

It makes perfect sense to first make sure the basics are takin care of before you just start throwing parts at it.

Forcebewithu

Cadet

Yeah I'm going to go at it tomorrow and see if it does have spark how would you go about cleaning the carbs your self they are just like a lawn mower carb correct?

Banditz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well...I guess so...but a little more complicated. There is a write up on here to help you out. Check that out and do a search on the topic and you will see many treads about it. Good luck!